I want to switch from BlackBerry.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are saying here. WP7 definitely supports the unified inbox, which MS calls the linked inbox. You combine your e-mail accounts into a single inbox, but it is optional (I use it and like it).

Holy crap! I had missed this option. I'm gonna try this out for a while. Thanks.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, yes there is push/instant email! Absolutely. Not all servers support that. But gmail, hotmail, exchange, all do push/instant email.

The Liaison

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I am very excited to announce that the switch has been officially made - I sold my Torch 9810 for $200 and purchased a brand new Samsung Focus S - Yes! I really like this device and Zune looks so much better to me now that I have a phone to sync it with - I'm ready for a much better integrated experience with it. BB was nice and all but I'm glad I made the switch and see why so many people never look back. Email wasn't an issue at all(except I couldn't remember my passwords lol.) the people hub is awesome with full Facebook support & integration. Much smoother lock screen. I have yet to buy/download apps/games but I will be looking for a twitter app, 4sq, & GetGlue...thanks guys.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I came from RIM after many years and am Happy I made the switch. There's nothing I miss about the BB capabilities. WP is the NEW OS that will break out in a big way in 2012. I have the HTC Trophy because it's the only one available on Verizon, but for now it's great. Looking forward to a Lumia Ace if it comes to Verizon, or something similar later next year.:D

Last edited:

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I came from RIM after many years and am Happy I made the switch. There's nothing I miss about the BB capabilities. WP is the NEW OS that will break out in a big way in 2012. I have the HTC Trophy because it's the only one available on Verizon, but for now it's great. Looking forward to a Lumina Ace if it comes to Verizon, or something similar later next year.:D
^^ Lumia :p

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
i see a notification on the live tile on my front screen, which I think is a little better than the iphone...I have to make a conscious effort to grab my wife's iphone every couple weeks to go into the App Store to check for updates on any of her apps...

I don't have a ton of apps on my WP, but once or twice a week, I get a notice about an update...I am sure someone who has more apps/games would see it more frequently...

Man... I only have 10 or so apps not incl games and I get like 15 updates a week. It depends on what apps you have and how committed/diligent the dev is. I have gotten rid of apps because I get an update every day or 2...

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I came from a BB as well and could not be happier. I always had memory problems with BB and had to constantly reset it to clear it out. No more with WP7! I do admit BB has a very good notification and push, and the BeBuzz LED app was amazing. But the WP7 live titles in mango work well for IMs, emails, calls, app updates and weather. My Arrive runs more smoothly than any BB.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

rjw3000

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Have used a BlackBerry as a main device for years. I had tried a Samsung Focus for awhile as a 2nd device to check out WP7 while using my BlackBerry 9780 as the main device. Got tired of using 2 phones, so got rid of both of those and went with the HTC Radar when it came out since I liked many things WP7 has that BB is lacking in. With that said, I can see myself possibly going back to 2 phones, with the BlackBerry as the 2nd device.

I think the virtual keyboard is good, but doesn't compare to not looking at the keys while typing and typing with near perfect accuracy like I can with the BlackBerry keyboard. The virtual keyboard is pretty easy to use and does good on the auto-correct, but if I end up having long IM sessions or have to type a lot, the virtual keyboard becomes a pain pretty quickly. If you use a keyboard a lot and liked a physical keyboard, this part is a big deal IMO. Not a fan of any side slider keyboards either. I can type just as good, if not better, on the virtual keyboard than I can on those.

The notification system in WP7 isn't that great once you get past the core programs that come with the phone. The tiles are great themselves, but no LED notifier and no 3rd party icons on the lock screen is not so great. I get tired of unlocking the phone to see if I got something from WhatsApp or other IM programs. Compared to the BlackBerry, it's not close in my opinion in the notifications department.

Other than those two things and missing some key apps, I think the WP7 platform is really good. Email is considered one of the main things on a BB, but I like the email look and feel way better on WP7 than the BB. Battery life on the Radar is really good and everything runs smooth. Browser is better than the current BB browsers in speed and rendering from what I've seen as well.

I never had any problems with my BB devices like some people seem to have with slowdowns and reboots, etc. so I don't have that negative viewpoint of their devices. They always worked great and do what they do very well.

The Liaison

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, this Samsung Focus S is somewhat like a dream come true - awesome battery life and my first "big screen" phone. I love it. It's fast and the Windows integration is on point. It is one thing that made me realize how powerful WP7 is. I download MS Office because of skydrive and now I have everything in sync. So seamless. WP7 could resolve some minor issues like allow you to choose which Facebook album to upload to and using twitter to upload files from the pictures app instead of a skydrive link.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I am very excited to announce that the switch has been officially made - I sold my Torch 9810 for $200 and purchased a brand new Samsung Focus S - Yes! I really like this device and Zune looks so much better to me now that I have a phone to sync it with - I'm ready for a much better integrated experience with it. BB was nice and all but I'm glad I made the switch and see why so many people never look back. Email wasn't an issue at all(except I couldn't remember my passwords lol.) the people hub is awesome with full Facebook support & integration. Much smoother lock screen. I have yet to buy/download apps/games but I will be looking for a twitter app, 4sq, & GetGlue...thanks guys.

Just don't forget your free $25 card :D

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't have a Yahoo account but do have Gmail; you can change the e-mail push setting to "As Items Arrive" to get immediate push e-mail on Gmail.

For IMAP e-mail accounts, the shortest time available is 15 minutes, though you can do an immediate sync at any time.

Can someone clarify for me what Push e-mail actually means? I use my ISP, Shaw, for e-mail. So does this means e mails do not go from the webmail account to my phone more-or-less immediately?

Thanks

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Can someone clarify for me what Push e-mail actually means? I use my ISP, Shaw, for e-mail. So does this means e mails do not go from the webmail account to my phone more-or-less immediately?

Thanks

How do you connect to your email - is it with IMAP or POP3? If so then the quickest sync you can get with WP7 is for it to check every 15 minutes for new mail.

For email my ISP, Virgin Media, is actually just offering a massive Google Apps implementation. So my ISP mail is really a gmail, just with the ISP branding. This means I can use the push option and get email almost instantly. Push is available with gmail, Hotmail and anything else that offers Exchange Active Sync connectivity.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Push means that as soon as an email gets delivered to your Inbox on your email system, it will then send it to your mobile device. Hence the name "push". The alternative to that is having your mobile device check on a regular interval for new messages.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2pretty4tv