Installing W8.1 with Bing on 7" tablet?

Brent Church

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a MicroCenter TW700 (Bay Trail 7" tablet) with Windows 8.1 w/ Bing on it, or at least I had. When I heard people having more success with it I tried updating to 10162, but the install failed. It would boot up with the WinBook logo, then the spinning balls underneath, then a windows at the top of the screen would open up, then flash away. A brief message about trying to recover (also showing version 10130 installed) then it would reboot itself. Is there a way I can get my Windows 10 with the Bing Key? I don't think there's a Windows 10 w/ Bing product key, so what's my best best once I get an unactivated Win10 Home? I have three ligit copies of Win 7 Home Premium and the update copy of Win 8.x on my main PC now.

Tia

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
re: Installing W8.1 with Bing on 7" tablet?

I have a MicroCenter TW700 (Bay Trail 7" tablet) with Windows 8.1 w/ Bing on it, or at least I had. When I heard people having more success with it I tried updating to 10162, but the install failed. It would boot up with the WinBook logo, then the spinning balls underneath, then a windows at the top of the screen would open up, then flash away. A brief message about trying to recover (also showing version 10130 installed) then it would reboot itself. Is there a way I can get my Windows 10 with the Bing Key? I don't think there's a Windows 10 w/ Bing product key, so what's my best best once I get an unactivated Win10 Home? I have three ligit copies of Win 7 Home Premium and the update copy of Win 8.x on my main PC now.

Tia

I would contact MicroCenter or Microsoft and ask them for assistance. If you have the serial number of your device handy, one of them should be able to help.

MoshMast

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

Your 8.1 with Bing key should be built into the PC, so you will not able to use that key unless you have a 8.1 with Bing image for your unit (which are generally hard to obtain since 8.1 with Bing is licensed to specific manufacturers and you'd have to go through them).

You should theoretically be able to install a copy of Windows 7 onto the device, though it is always possible that drivers will pose an issue for you after the install until you upgrade to Windows 8.1/10.

Brent Church

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I would contact MicroCenter or Microsoft and ask them for assistance. If you have the serial number of your device handy, one of them should be able to help.

I hope so. Have not tried either of them but my gut tells me Microsoft will be more help. Thanks.

Brent Church

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Your 8.1 with Bing key should be built into the PC, so you will not able to use that key unless you have a 8.1 with Bing image for your unit (which are generally hard to obtain since 8.1 with Bing is licensed to specific manufacturers and you'd have to go through them).

You should theoretically be able to install a copy of Windows 7 onto the device, though it is always possible that drivers will pose an issue for you after the install until you upgrade to Windows 8.1/10.

I tried the Win7 key that was on my laptop a while back, but it did not like it. This was before it could check with the servers. I figure I have either three or four Win10 keys when this is all over. Either 3 Win7 Home + the Win 8.1, or just three since one of them was a 7 to 8.x upgrade.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I hope so. Have not tried either of them but my gut tells me Microsoft will be more help. Thanks.

Hope you get good results.
I ran into a similar situation with my HP Elitepad. I ended up calling HP, and they sent me the recovery media that was specific to my device on a USB drive. Saved me big time. :)

Brent Church

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Hope you get good results.
I ran into a similar situation with my HP Elitepad. I ended up calling HP, and they sent me the recovery media that was specific to my device on a USB drive. Saved me big time. :)

At the moment installing an unactivated Win10 Home I get a critical error with the Start Menu and Cortana. Seems I have a brick on my hands.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

At the moment installing an unactivated Win10 Home I get a critical error with the Start Menu and Cortana. Seems I have a brick on my hands.

Don't give up yet....at least not until you get in touch with MS or Microcenter. :) I'd call Microcenter first since they manufactured the tablet. MS will probably direct you there first anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs