Integrated Qi Charging Vs. Cover Charging

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
One feature of my Icon that I know that I would never want to be missing in any of my future devices is wireless charging. Qi charging makes life that much easier. And more and more cars, restaurants, OEM's, etc... Are starting to support Qi charging as well.

Rubino mentioned in his article (Microsoft's Cityman and Talkman flagship Lumia phones and what you need to know | Windows Central) that while the Cityman will have integrated Qi charging, the Talkman may be relegated to a Qi cover.

Rubino does say here that it's possible there could be a replacement back to remedy the problem.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I prefer integrated Qi charging, since that works with any cases, even Otterbox, which is the type that I prefer for extra protection and durability.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely want the wireless charging, and would prefer an integrated solution, rather than an add-on case. While MS isn't calling the Talkman a 'Flagship', it's still poised as the high-end phone. This is a feature that should be standard, rather than an add-on.

I'm glad MS has stuck with Qi, allowing me to continue with my current charging dock.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have PMA equipment but didn't ATT 830 have both PMA & Qi?

I can say positively my 830 with an ATT logo back worked on Qi chargers.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I love the built in Qi charging of my Lumia 735 and definitely want it built in on the 950. I love not having to fidget with cables or risk dragging my phone off the nightstand if I accidentally snag the micro USB cable.

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance. But what's the difference between integrated Qi charging and an add-on case? I use an 830 right now and I notice that the cover has the contact points for charging. Is this integrated Qi charging? I'd appreciate if somebody could explain this to me.

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance. But what's the difference between integrated Qi charging and an add-on case? I use an 830 right now and I notice that the cover has the contact points for charging. Is this integrated Qi charging? I'd appreciate if somebody could explain this to me.
the way some here are talking about integrated versus cover/case may be a little confusing, but yes, the 830 counts as integrated since it's there in the cover you get with your device, and does not require a cover or case bought separately at additional cost.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
But if you make it a case and then spec it with extra brittle plastic the consumer gets to buy it again and again and again. Profit!

(Lumia 925 Qi back i'm talking about you)

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
the way some here are talking about integrated versus cover/case may be a little confusing, but yes, the 830 counts as integrated since it's there in the cover you get with your device, and does not require a cover or case bought separately at additional cost.

That clears it up a bit. Thank you.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Really, it comes down to having to add an additional case to the phone to take advantage of wireless charging. Personally, anything that makes the phone larger is a negative for me. I don't want to have an added layer of thickness, nor do I want to have to buy the add-on charging case. But the Cityman dimensions are too big for my tastes, so I won't go that route.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm still holding out hope that the Qi charging feature is built in without the need for an additional purchase for a case. Should be included in a flagship phone IMO.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For me, integrated Qi charging is one of the strongest features of Window phone -- one of the reasons I tolerate missing apps. If that goes, I'll probably go too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster