iPhone 4S Siri vs Mango's Tell Me

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Alright I have to ask... I've seen way too many posts praising iPhone 4's speech recognition engine, Siri, as something totally new and innovative.

Am I missing something? Android has had voice recognition in their OS for a while. With Mango we've got a ton of options on that front too. The ability to read incoming messages and dictate new messages is awesome.

How does Mango's voice recognition compare to Siri? Does one do more over the other? Discuss!

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
From what I can tell Siri is a little more advanced. Saying stuff like "call my wife" instead of her name is something i dont think the others can do. I could be wrong though but i believe the siri technology is just a little more creepy/advanced

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Siri is definitely more advanced, but it also requires a data connection. It does do some natural-voice commands, although you can't just tell it anything you want, there are certain keywords you need to use in the sentence.

But it is very cool, although I don't really talk to my phone nor want to, except to use the hands-free texting in the car, which I like.

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
From what I can tell Siri is a little more advanced. Saying stuff like "call my wife" instead of her name is something i dont think the others can do. I could be wrong though but i believe the siri technology is just a little more creepy/advanced

Indeed, perhaps its crossing a road that should not be crossed, I dont need my phone to respond to some things lol

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, in this society, I expect many lawsuits from Siri misinterpreting the commands.

'Siri called my wife instead of my mistress!'

'Siri texted my boss when I was really cussing him out!'

and so on, and so on

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Actually in WP7 if you put wife under her name in the nickname area it works the same way.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well the concept and thought is a good one but if those things happen as a lawyer I might have to stop laughing first!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
One of the big jumps is that it seems to work conversationally. So you ask it "how's the weather?" and it responds, but YOU can then respond "how about tomorrow?" and it'll answer - but it'll still know you're talking about the weather.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Siri is definitely more advanced, but it also requires a data connection. It does do some natural-voice commands, although you can't just tell it anything you want, there are certain keywords you need to use in the sentence.

But it is very cool, although I don't really talk to my phone nor want to, except to use the hands-free texting in the car, which I like.

Microsoft's Voice Recognition requires a data connection as well, IIRC. I think Google's may, as well. Most of them use Cloud Services to interpret speech. Dictation is a lot easier. They can probably to Text to Speech without a data connection, provided you have the appropriate language file.

Not hard to test. Just turn off data and WiFi and check.

You can't get a smartphone (here) without a data pack on contract, anyways, so it's pretty expected. These phones are near useless without a data plan.

JackB03

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, for WM still being "new" in the world of cell phones, I must admit, its awesome that were even discussing this. This truly shows you that WM and Microsoft are really jumping in and will one day be on top of Apple and the iPhone OS!

el3ktro

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually in WP7 if you put wife under her name in the nickname area it works the same way.

Well this shows the BIG, HUGE difference between Siri and TellMe. TellMe simply does speech recognition. So if you put "wife" in your wife's contact field, it simply recognizes the word "wife" and finds this word in one of your contacts.

In Siri, it works like this. If you ask Siri for the first time "Call my wife" it does not only recognize the words you're saying, it actually understands that you're referring to a person. Hence Siri asks you "Who is your wife?", you then tell Siri the name of your wife and Siri then "knows" who is your wife, so the next time you ask Siri "Call my wife" it calls the right person.

Another example from one of the Apple ads: You can ask Siri not only "Find a local locksmith", you can actually simply say "I'm locked out" or "I lost my keys". Siri understands that "I'm locked out" means that you might need a locksmith and then searches for one. TellMe again only does speech recognition so it simply recognizes the words you're saying and puts them into a search enigne word by word. But Siri understands - to a certain degree - the meaning of your words.

Another great feature of Siri is it's ability to follow conversations, another thing TellMe can't do.

el3ktro

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It does do some natural-voice commands, although you can't just tell it anything you want, there are certain keywords you need to use in the sentence.

That's the point, you DON'T need keywords. For example you don't need to tell Siri explicitly to "Search" for something when you're looking for something. The simple phrase "I'm locked out" will trigger a search for locksmiths for example. It UNDERSTANDS - of course only to a certain degree - that if you say "I'm locked out" you might need a locksmith and looks for one nearby. You don't need to actually say the word "Weather" when you want to know about the weather, you can ask things like "Do I need sunscreen today" or "Should I bring an umbrella" etc.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, in this society, I expect many lawsuits from Siri misinterpreting the commands.

and so on, and so on

Wow think of the confusion for Tiger Woods if he had Siri. :D

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
There's no two ways about it; Siri is owning the voice command function. I'm looking forward to seeing more from Tellme. I really hope MS will unveil some of the learning functions we saw from the Project Natal promos with Apollo.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

and so on, and so on

Android's and Microsoft's TellMe would do those things before Siri does. It's on point. I have only recently started to use it and think it's insanely good. I really stopped using them because of all the others: Android's or any other popular voice recognition app.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The underlying technology is similar. The difference isn't as much about the speech recognition, but the implementation.

To me, TellMe is almost like a game engine. There is core functionality built in there that's pretty neat and can do cool stuff. But Siri is an actual game. It's built on top of a similar engine, but they made something cool.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I live with somebody who has an iPhone 4s. And Siri is definitely more advanced but in some cases I think it's annoying.

With WP when you say "Text Bob" then wait a second, then you can say your text like "Meet me for dinner at 10pm.".

With siri its like this... "Text Bob."... "Sending a text to Bob. What do you want it to say?"... "Meet me for dinner at 10pm."... "Ok, I am updating your text message... Is this correct?" Then you hit send and... "I am sending your text message."

It does a lot of stuff like that and I think that's great for old people who need voice activated programs to tell them what they are doing. But for somebody like me to just say what I want it to do and have the phone do it, I don't need voice confirmation for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte