Is it affect the battery consumption if i put all my apps to start screen (Lumia 720) ?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
live tile and others. Every app

Yes, but not drastic. More tiles in the start screen means slightly more RAM and processor usage, which means slightly more power usage, which means your battery consumption will be affected (no matter how small or huge the effect may be). You can test this on your own (but that's not needed):

Test A: (time consuming)
Fully charge your phone and pin all apps to your start screen. Once fully charged, unplug your phone. Let your phone sit (do not use it) for around an hour (so the battery saver has enough time to estimate power usage). Afterwards, go to your Battery Saver settings and take note on how much the estimated battery life of your phone is.

Repeat the same procedure with no apps pinned at all. Compare the estimated battery lives for the two scenarios.

Test B: (while sleeping)

The same as Test A, but instead of letting your phone sit for an hour (which is time-consuming) and going to Battery Saver, just compare the charge remaining after you wake up for both scenarios... provided that you sleep for the same number of hours for two days.

We're interested in knowing your results.:cool:

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
If they are set to run in the background, then pinning them should not make a lot of difference (strictly speaking they need to update every half an hour for the live tile). However, if you restrict their background activity from Battery Saver, then they are nothing more than flipping tiles.

raj-lotus

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
thanks for your answer. I don't want to test it though. Too much work to do for me by removing all tiles and then again put then back to their places.
I am happy that it does not affect much on my phone battery.
I like to put everything on my start screen because this way i have everything at one place according to my preference and not just alphabetically as lumia provides.

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
That should be fine, and you have nothing to worry about battery drain. Even if there is any, it should be very minimal.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
thanks for your answer. I don't want to test it though. Too much work to do for me by removing all tiles and then again put then back to their places.
I am happy that it does not affect much on my phone battery.
I like to put everything on my start screen because this way i have everything at one place according to my preference and not just alphabetically as lumia provides.

Same here. I had over 50 apps pinned and grouped into folders in my start screen in my L1020, and it was working as expected. The only downside is that the start screen occasionally lags when loading all of those tiles. Battery life wasn't really great with the L1020 - never left the house without a battery pack with me.

raj-lotus

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
yeah it lag occasionally but we can live with it as long as it do not kill half of battery daily ,,,right? :)
also a off topic question arose regarding charging the phone.Can you please suggest me a car charger or something like that. and also what sort of battery pack u have?

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered Microsoft Portable Power DC-21. Sweet deal with 10% student discount and another $15 off with a coupon they sent me earlier. They are also giving 100 minutes of Skype ($2.50 Skype credit) with every purchase until February 14th at Microsoft store.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
yeah it lag occasionally but we can live with it as long as it do not kill half of battery daily ,,,right? :)
also a off topic question arose regarding charging the phone.Can you please suggest me a car charger or something like that. and also what sort of battery pack u have?

:cool:

Any car charger would do, provided that the output current and voltage are the same with the charger that came with your phone - these are important since you don't want to fry your battery.

My battery pack is a 6,600-mAh "Power Bank" that looks like a soft drink can - more like an energy drink - but a bit smaller. My girlfriend borrowed it for the night and I can't recall the brand, but it was offered at 50% in a local store so we got a pair for ourselves. With that battery pack capacity, I managed to charge my L1020 from 60% to 100%* twice in a day with moderate use** - considering that the L1020 consumes a LOT of power especially when taking photos - before I need to charge the pack again.

If you're a heavy user, you will need something that packs more than 6,600 mAh.

* - I rarely let my battery charge drop below 60% to minimize battery wear.
** - Moderate use = playing non-graphics-intensive games (online chess, simple memory challenges), reading, browsing, taking a few photos, occasional chatting - all in non-continuous short periods of time (5-10 minutes each period).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro