Is Lumia 950 and Xl memory expandable to 2 tb or 200 gb?

chinni subhash

May 13, 2015
Visit site
When they released Lumia 950 and XL MS said its memory is expandable upto 2 TB but now everywhere it is mentioned that it is expandable upto 200 GB. I know still we don't have 2 TB SD cards but why did they change it. Even on MS official website

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably "just in case" or some legal thing.

Plenty of devices come out supporting the largest SD cards of their time but can easily take larger cards.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Technically if the chipset supports microSDXC then it will support storage up to 2TB. They only say "up to 200GB" because there aren't any 2TB microSD cards available in the market. Largest would be 512GB by SanDisk, but even 200GB microSD cards are still kind of expensive. Shouldn't be too long now tho, there are 128GB cards that go on sale from time to time (I got mine 70% off and it's a Kingston brand).

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Up to 2 terabytes with the current standards. But say someone develops a new standard that can get lots of space into an sd card. Like Samsung with 3dNand. You would believe that it should be supported because it's a 2tb sdcard but it wouldn't be the case. So it's easier to state what is currently available because technology can change rapidly. And chances are that no one is going to develop a 2tb sdcard as the costs would be astronomical with todays process. So it's likely that when they do get them up to those sizes it will be a new tech not supported by the lumias.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It's amazing how technology advances and people are wondering if they'll be able to use a future 2Tb card. I stil remember being in awe with the first SD standard being able to support up to a whopping 2GB! :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077