Is "Metro" dying already?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The current beta FB is a travesty of an app.

How that POS got released, is beyond me. It is really bad. It even has the Android Lag (TM), as well as the horrible flat, dull look. Sure I want a functional app, but not at the expense of the classy look associated with WP.

Come on MS, don't let those naysayers get the better of you...

Google IS actively blocking any association with MS or their products, specifically the mobile phone sector. So what??? I have phased out all Google services, including their search engine, and guess what??? My phone still works, and works well.

Up yours Google!!!!!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly the whole text instead of icons at the top for app navigation is a failure. Text takes way more space and you get these cut-offs which only hipsters like.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see how this is true, but at the same time, you know how many crazy things google comes up with (Glass, Self Driving Car, Notes App, Currents, etc.)? And further more, how many things you think they haven't even made public or finished? Is it possible that some of the legal things are farther down the road, depending on the project? If not, I understand your point (thanks for explaining :smile:), and then who knows why google is doing all of this neglecting (even though WP only has 5.6% of total market share, there are over 1Billion smartphone users worldwide. 5.6% of 1000000000 is 56000000. That's 56 Million WP users {if market share translates into users}. 56M is a lot of people for google to neglect, and a big amount of people who could be using googles services, earning them money.)

Actually worldwide WP is about 1.5% of smartphone usage. Which translates to about 15-17 million active WP users.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Actually worldwide WP is about 1.5% of smartphone usage. Which translates to about 15-17 million active WP users.

How would that be so when Windows Phone % is higher in European countries (among others?)... oh wait. I forgot asia (which contains china, one of the most populated countries) is big on android. >w<

still... 15 -17 million users google is missing out on.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

Nokia has reported all their Lumia sales in their quarter reports and if you count them together, you get 20M WP devices out there just by Nokia alone.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has reported all their Lumia sales in their quarter reports and if you count them together, you get 20M WP devices out there just by Nokia alone.

lets put that in perspective. Apple sold 32 million iPhones last quarter, alone.

WP has a long way to go. Just saying.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
And let's put that into perspective...

Apple is also losing iPhone sales now, while WP is gaining in sales.

people lose hair everyday too....

Just saying, to a company the size of Google WP market share doesn't even amount to peanuts.

Indies aren't reeling in the money on this platform, highly unlikely a major company would.

Cheers

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I see how this is true, but at the same time, you know how many crazy things google comes up with (Glass, Self Driving Car, Notes App, Currents, etc.)? And further more, how many things you think they haven't even made public or finished? Is it possible that some of the legal things are farther down the road, depending on the project? If not, I understand your point (thanks for explaining :smile:), and then who knows why google is doing all of this neglecting (even though WP only has 5.6% of total market share, there are over 1Billion smartphone users worldwide. 5.6% of 1000000000 is 56000000. That's 56 Million WP users {if market share translates into users}. 56M is a lot of people for google to neglect, and a big amount of people who could be using googles services, earning them money.)

Let's say that everything you say in this paragraph is true. There are 56 million WP users who could be using Google services, but Google doesn't provide apps due to politics, since 56M is a plenty big market. If that's the case, then why don't Facebook, Instagram, MLB, most major banks, Hulu, and Netflix develop 1st party apps for WP?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Let's say that everything you say in this paragraph is true. There are 56 million WP users who could be using Google services, but Google doesn't provide apps due to politics, since 56M is a plenty big market. If that's the case, then why don't Facebook, Instagram, MLB, most major banks, Hulu, and Netflix develop 1st party apps for WP?

A few ideas:
Believing google (Opera was going webkit. Minute google said their making "blink", opera says their using blink instead. Google owns the web almost)
Development resources (Even if the market will make back the cost, they still need a team of those with experience with the os to build the app initially, meaning more money, time, and resources.)
Gadget Politics (Google's not the only one doing it.)
Unknown reasons (Example: an assistant app named donna is coming to android and ios. I email the developers asking about good ol' WP. they say that they are actually intrigued by the os, and that there are a number of features that donna could take advantage of on the os, and are curious as what she could do, but they currently have no plans for the foreseeable future for her to be brought to WP. Go figure.)

just some ideas.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Honestly the whole text instead of icons at the top for app navigation is a failure. Text takes way more space and you get these cut-offs which only hipsters like.
Are you doing what I think you are doing? Then please stop it.

And for more perspective, WP's entire user base after ~3 is less than 1 month's sales of the iPhone, or the Galaxy series.

WP has been out 30 months. iPhone and Androids have been out 6 years. Never read any article about "fastest growing OS"?

Last edited:

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I see no movement away from metro at all. If anything it is evolving, and I welcome change with open arms. If this means more sales, and a more assured future for the platform... by all means. CHANGE. Reason I found iOS to be stale is because it is still "alive." Also I really should learn to stop calling it metro, and call it Modern UI.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I like metro style on my phone and on my tablet. On my desktop I don't mind it much but what kicks the heck out of me is when using the browser in Win8 everything you open stays open. or if I install a program it goes right to the old style desktop almost as if MS can't make it's mind up about the OS. Metro is clean and nice on smaller screens but on large screens " home desktop setups" I don't think it's that nice. Perhaps if this monitor I have was touch I would think differently about Metro on my desktop.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I see no movement away from metro at all. If anything it is evolving, and I welcome change with open arms. If this means more sales, and a more assured future for the platform... by all means. CHANGE. Reason I found iOS to be stale is because it is still "alive." Also I really should learn to stop calling it metro, and call it Modern UI.

I refuse to bow down to some German company trying to sue Microsoft over the word Metro ;)
Metro describes this more than Modern :p

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
getting ridiculous. Non of the games are Metro too, why does all apps have to look the same way?

There can't be anything in games that be "metro" - it's graphic intensive. You can't expect plain simplistic interface on such a graphic intensive element!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paul89895