Is "Metro" dying already?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There can't be anything in games that be "metro" - it's graphic intensive. You can't expect plain simplistic interface on such a graphic intensive element!
The industry is evolving.You define games are graphic intensive and therefore not account. But do you realize computer was a huge room or rooms of tubes and capacitors, and today you cant even call a docked tablet a laptop. Endless side swipe is not Metro. Not only the games. Book readers, pdf readers, note taking, calculator, heck even the most popular battery app is no where to be call Metro. If you want metro, stick with the MS products or highly associated brands.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
A few ideas:
Believing google (Opera was going webkit. Minute google said their making "blink", opera says their using blink instead. Google owns the web almost)
Development resources (Even if the market will make back the cost, they still need a team of those with experience with the os to build the app initially, meaning more money, time, and resources.)
Gadget Politics (Google's not the only one doing it.)
Unknown reasons (Example: an assistant app named donna is coming to android and ios. I email the developers asking about good ol' WP. they say that they are actually intrigued by the os, and that there are a number of features that donna could take advantage of on the os, and are curious as what she could do, but they currently have no plans for the foreseeable future for her to be brought to WP. Go figure.)

just some ideas.

So basically you're saying that you have no idea why Google, and other companies, aren't developing native apps for WP. :wink:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
So basically you're saying that you have no idea why Google, and other companies, aren't developing native apps for WP. :wink:
Google, yes. Others, unknown (though Hulu just released an app)
Google is attempting to "kill a man before he becomes king years down the road, dethroning themselves". As in, Google is safe for now, but WP is probably the fastest growing OS, especially with Nokia. 5- 10 years down the road, Google may no longer be top dog (Samsung shifts from android to "tizen", Windows Phone becomes a major competitor in terms of market share). Google probably cant stop Samsung, its already too big. It doesn't need Google, because like Google and blink, Samsung knows if they switch to a homegrown OS, devs will follow. However, Google (thinks it) can kill Windows Phone before it gets big, thus minimizing the possible damage in the future and securing their spot in the top 3 Phone OSes. AKA: Google isn't scared of what Windows Phone is but instead of what it can become.

Others, again, I am unsure. Now that I think about it, based on pictures online of their office, the team of which that one dev emailed me, is fairly small, and is an indie developer, I suppose. Probably only about 10 - 15 people who work at the office (including devs), and with them working to release a beta for users, a release version, and a future android version, there may not be enough money and resources to work on another platform (whether BB10 or WP8, or anything else). At least, that's the only thing I can think that makes sense, seeing as what they said in the email implies "we like WP, and want to make an app" but ends with "we do not plan on making an app".

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
What must be remembered is that both Android and iOS have been out for 5 years. WP has been about 2 years.

Obviously that is why apps and OS maturity have a head start on those 2 platforms. When I see criticism about WP 'not having apps' or MS 'not upgrading the OS' quickly enough, it makes me slightly annoyed. Patience, people. Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

Just stick with it folks. MS, Nokia et al, WILL get it right. The fact that WP was pretty stable from the off, is impressive enough.
The apps are coming if you can wait.

I, for one will stick with WP. It's easily the best mobile OS. I'm sure it will only get better and more exciting....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What must be remembered is that both Android and iOS have been out for 5 years. WP has been about 2 years.

Obviously that is why apps and OS maturity have a head start on those 2 platforms. When I see criticism about WP 'not having apps' or MS 'not upgrading the OS' quickly enough, it makes me slightly annoyed. Patience, people. Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

Just stick with it folks. MS, Nokia et al, WILL get it right. The fact that WP was pretty stable from the off, is impressive enough.
The apps are coming if you can wait.

I, for one will stick with WP. It's easily the best mobile OS. I'm sure it will only get better and more exciting....

But WP has a disadvantage in that it now has to compete against iOS & Android who are mature. iOS & Android had no competition (other than each other), meaning someone who was doing the same thing but light years ahead at the time.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
But WP has a disadvantage in that it now has to compete against iOS & Android who are mature. iOS & Android had no competition (other than each other), meaning someone who was doing the same thing but light years ahead at the time.

I don't think that's true. Android and iOS have a lot to learn from WP. As such, a few ideas from WP seem to be finding their way onto those platforms.
Android has been the dominant OS for a while. I think WP has put a bit of a scare into Google. They need to 'raise their game', and they know it!!!

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
and OMG, it is metro!!!

Wonder how they did it...

Is it officially using an API?

Is it a web wrapper that's having its code modified (in a similar fashion as to the way chrome extensions add features and even whole pages to websites)?

Is it using an unofficial API?

interesting....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Metrotube isn't using youtube officially. They are using a "backdoor" api, if you will. And any time Google changes that backdoor api, Metrotube breaks. Now an indie developer isn't going to get in trouble for using a backdoor and getting broken by changes, but imagine the outcry from both users and Google if Microsoft did that. Google would ride them for using their stuff unofficially, and every time Google changed something to break the app, users would cry "bad app".

Now we just wait and see how this prophecy holds out! :winktongue:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This only holds out as long as Microsoft is using a backdoor. If they are using a modified web wrapper or are using api's officially, then it doesn't count.

I gotcha! I'm just trying to keep you honest here! :wink:

And, just so you know I'm not anti-WP, I'm planning to get a Lumia 520 or 521 as soon as they are available again (since it would be my 3rd phone I can't afford a flagship like the 920). For the most part I am a Microsoft fan; I'm just not quite so cracked on WP. I carried a 920 awhile ago.

And I do feel that some of the comments on wpcentral about Google and Apple get carried away sometimes; knee-jerk reactions with little to nothing based on reality, or simply opinions presented as hard verified facts. But I realize that that's nature. WP is the underdog at the moment, and underdogs have to let the big dogs know they're there! :smile: I hope that WP soon matures enough that Google & Apple start taking it more seriously. More competition is good for the consumer. Android wouldn't be where it is without Apple, and iOS wouldn't be where it is without Google.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I gotcha! I'm just trying to keep you honest here! :wink:

And, just so you know I'm not anti-WP, I'm planning to get a Lumia 520 or 521 as soon as they are available again (since it would be my 3rd phone I can't afford a flagship like the 920). For the most part I am a Microsoft fan; I'm just not quite so cracked on WP. I carried a 920 awhile ago.

And I do feel that some of the comments on wpcentral about Google and Apple get carried away sometimes; knee-jerk reactions with little to nothing based on reality, or simply opinions presented as hard verified facts. But I realize that that's nature. WP is the underdog at the moment, and underdogs have to let the big dogs know they're there! :smile: I hope that WP soon matures enough that Google & Apple start taking it more seriously. More competition is good for the consumer. Android wouldn't be where it is without Apple, and iOS wouldn't be where it is without Google.

And smartphones wouldn't be here without palm. Seriously, they practically coined "apps" with their ancient PDAs, and without PDA's (to which palm basically made a market for in the early days from what i've read), there wouldn't of been smartphones (originally "PDA phones", if the name of a version of Windows Mobile would be correct.).

As far as google, im calling it like I see it. Im sure their may be some other reason for things, but so far, certain parts of Google have been playing politics lately.

I actually have a 521. go to Wal-Mart and have them look up the UPC (dont tell them that youre looking for a phone though). A number of people found them that way. (Mine, though, was from HSN)

BTW, the new youtube app is a refreshing (actually METRO philosophy requirements met) change! Im now drawn between Metrotube and it!

Lastly, I actually like things about the other OSes. iOS has things down as far as operating system function and app store (their may be crap apps, but their algorithms find good apps better then Microsoft's!), Android flourishes with Devs, making it sort of a testing ground for new UI's and features. I somewhat miss my Nook Tab (id like an HD), and I owned an iPod Touch 2 (with iOS 4) once.

Last edited:

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I also have that fear! Hope that never happens, but Microsoft should reduce the font size for app names in panorama design apps.

No it shouldn't. I like it the way it is. Its why I like the OS. I guarantee you we still have more real estate dedicated to content than iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon