Is "Metro" dying already?

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Alright, serious question here for anyone that has the Android or iOS Facebook app: Aside from the "flat" look, are there any design and/or UI/navigation elements that make the WP Facebook Beta app different from the iOS or Android versions?

but we don't want it to be different ffs, we want it to WORK! and the old one wasn't working, if MS didn't improve it adding the missing features, there's surely a reason why!

if Facebook was the one developing this app, no one would complain, because the design they use is basically the same for Android, iOS and mobile...why? because it WORKS!

i don't know about you but i don't want that stupid banner image taking space from my feed just because it's "pretty" or "different"!

when i go to FB app i want to see my FEEDS, not my albums images, and the feeds had a minor spot at the old one...Facebook design works because the focus is exactly on that!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Why should it matter if it resembles the iOS or Android versions? FB is a product and Facebook has definitely wanted to make the iOS and Android apps look similar, so why should WP be any different from that? They have a clear vision of what their product should look like and they want it to be consistent across the platforms.

I agree with this 100%. I use flagship WP, iOS, and Android devices on a rotating basis. I consider myself somewhat OS agnostic, although in my mind each OS has advantages in certain areas. It seems to me that WP (and/or WP fans!) want to differentiate from iOS & Android just for the sake of being different, whether or not it's a good thing in the end. If the iOS & Android versions of Facebook are better than WP's "unadulterated Metro" version of Facebook, let's roll with the change! Crappy performing apps are not going to help WP market share grow, that's for sure.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this 100%. I use flagship WP, iOS, and Android devices on a rotating basis. I consider myself somewhat OS agnostic, although in my mind each OS has advantages in certain areas. It seems to me that WP (and/or WP fans!) want to differentiate from iOS & Android just for the sake of being different, whether or not it's a good thing in the end. If the iOS & Android versions of Facebook are better than WP's "unadulterated Metro" version of Facebook, let's roll with the change! Crappy performing apps are not going to help WP market share grow, that's for sure.

Exactly. Having the same functionality as iOS and Android doesn't mean they have to be exactly like them. So are we saying that Windows is exactly like Linux just because it has just about the same functionality as it? No, Windows functions just as open and as free as Linux, but it's still Windows, it still looks like Windows, and still function like Windows.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Why do people care so much about "beautiful" design and "intuitiveness"?

Is it not more important that the app works in the first place, and allows you to do the things that you want to do?

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
but we don't want it to be different ffs, we want it to WORK! and the old one wasn't working, if MS didn't improve it adding the missing features, there's surely a reason why!

if Facebook was the one developing this app, no one would complain, because the design they use is basically the same for Android, iOS and mobile...why? because it WORKS!

i don't know about you but i don't want that stupid banner image taking space from my feed just because it's "pretty" or "different"!

when i go to FB app i want to see my FEEDS, not my albums images, and the feeds had a minor spot at the old one...Facebook design works because the focus is exactly on that!
And you can't see your feeds in people hub?! Where everything is fast fluid. They should have kept the old design, this fb beta app is utterly ugly!

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

Is it not more important that the app works in the first place, and allows you to do the things that you want to do?
99% of people who don't want to switch to WP8 is because our design is too dull and undesirable. I guess you just also said you don't care about our market share and success.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Because we don't live in 1985. Why do you think Apple has been so successful? Because their products are beautiful and easy to use.

Good design isn't just about aesthetics. Its a bout function. But good aesthetics are a part of that function. Ugly and cluttered UIs are also harder to use. And what about the emotional impact? When something is beautiful, you want to interact with it and use it.

If you just want function and don't care about anything else, that's what Android is for.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
And you can't see your feeds in people hub?! Where everything is fast fluid. They should have kept the old design, this fb beta app is utterly ugly!

yes People Hub is fluid and i already said the old app is beautiful BUT there are some major flaws i question:

1. small thumbnails! like...WHY? one of the things i love the most about FB are the big image thumbnails, but in the Hub/old app they are small and unattractive

2. WHY do we need to hit the "+" and open the post in a new page just for a simple thing as hitting "like" when doing it directly is so much faster and easier!

3. seriously, WHAT is the functionality of the banner image besides making the app look pretty?

4. don't even get me started on the chat issue (old FB app only here) lol

5. i really can't see the missing features being implemented on the old app, if MS decided to make a new one perhaps it's because they couldn't properly improve the old? also it seems FB is now working with MS so i guess it's normal we are seeing their design on MS app

i think this rampage is just because we got something similar to Android/iOS and pplz want WP to be different for the sake of being different! if the old design had the same functionality as FB one, i'd totally agree they shouldn't have changed...but, oh well, i don't think it does!

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
well to be honest. It's really just your opinion. I think people would just judge on the looks first. any human would judge looks first then functionality. Just like a boy judges on a chick on looks then personality. FACT!

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I think pure metro style is messy in some situations. For example apps like facebook and twitter must have lines between posts. Metro only has texts so they must be separated - I think.
Also titles are really really big and they take almost half of screen.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
99% of people who don't want to switch to WP8 is because our design is too dull and undesirable. I guess you just also said you don't care about our market share and success.

I do agree with you in some points. But it really depends on the developer of the app. Not MS. having oversized headers is just MS's thing it doesn't have to be followed. the only thing that has to be followed is that it needs to be 2D and simple.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Metro can't be a monolithic design implementation. It's never going to be able to account for every single need and there are situations where it may hinder usability. Also, people have certain expectations when it comes to specific platforms. Like it or not, Facebook is it's own platform. Facebook doesn't fit standard iOS or Android (whatever consistency there even exists) conventions either. Anyone migrating from another platform is going to open that Facebook app and expect functionality to be similar, if not identical to what they previously experienced. If you're going to change it for them, you'd better be damn sure it provides a far better experience.

The existing app failed in meeting these requirements, regardless of how nicely matched it was to the Metro lookg. However, as far as I'm concerned, the new beta version is a huge improvement.

No one seems keen on acknowledging this fact because Microsoft is responsible, but Metro has made a massive impact on user interface design at all levels. HTC copies the look wholesale for Sense 5. It's traces have shown up in Facebook and on many other sites. Even Apple is known to be copying the aesthetic, to one extent or another.

The problem isn't whether apps are faithful to Metro or not. It's whether or not Windows Phone and Windows 8 are getting the credit they deserve. I don't think they are. It bothers me that Target, to call out one retailer, has never put a Lumia 920 or HTC 8X on display, but they put up multiple samples of the HTC One and Galaxy S4 the instant they were released. Considering how much Windows Phone has been ignored it's a miracle they've captured as much market share as they have now. Imagine how much better things would have been if they had gotten the exposure the others guys enjoy.

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I still fail to see how a metro Facebook app couldn't work. There is no reason for it not to. I didn't even know I could swipe to the left and right after opening messaging until I read it here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IkQZ8IpFa...600/instagram windows phone fan concept 2.png

A Facebook app could go with a look like that, have all the visual clues that you need to swipe, be more conservative with the use of space ( especially along the top ) and still present the same amount of info and functionality while staying unique.

Saying it wouldn't work is lazy, and an easy excuse. The first app had issues (much of that because it was not an official Facebook app, dont believe this one is either as Microsoft designed it using the public API so they will never have the same functionality ) but that could be fixed without going with such a boring and unintuitive design. Making the apps look the same as they do on other platform is pointless. If someone cares that much, they would never pick up a WP anyway.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
"Girls Girls, you're both pretty. Have a spork" - Element Animation, An eggs guide to minecraft

Why cant we have our cake and eat it to. Everyone seems to be arguing over functionality vs. os aesthetics. Sure the old FB application is more Metro in design, and sure the Beta app is more functional and cross platform, but there is always a middle ground. Example:

screen1.png screen2.png
screen3.png screen4.png

In these images I have made, I modified the screenshots for FB Beta. As you see, the image banner in this theoretical design would take up no less space then the fb beta top menu bar (and status bar), and would have the notification icons overlaid upon it. Also, the menu button would be in the MENU bar for the sake of os design. Second, pressing the menu button would cause the facebook menu to appear (with a thin shadow from the feed page, indicating its underneath the page you were on, giving it slight depth). The same would be for the friends button (previously within the top bar in FB Beta), being laid underneath the main menu.

This concept design would give off an appearance of metro (with its single menu bar and the old FB image banner w/ Metro stylized icons) as well as make it unique to the OS, while still giving it a cross platform feel and ease of use.

My point with all of this is there is always middle ground. I feel people AND developers either misunderstand and over utilize the OS design scheme (old FB app) or they throw out most of the os design altogether for usability and familiarity(FB Beta, which no, it is not Metro. just because you flatten it out, and use Segoe UI/WP, does not make it metro). People need to be Creative in utilizing the OS design scheme while still giving it functionality (&/or familiarity). Sort of a yin and yang of functionality and aesthetics.

Sadly, I doubt Microsoft will ever read this. :p

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think pure metro style is messy in some situations. For example apps like facebook and twitter must have lines between posts. Metro only has texts so they must be separated - I think.
Also titles are really really big and they take almost half of screen.

Huh?

Metro uses typography and visual scale/hierarchy to separate content sections. Lines are unnecessary and would clutter the UI.

Some people really seem to have a hard time getting past the old ways.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Why cant we have our cake and eat it to. Everyone seems to be arguing over functionality vs. os aesthetics. Sure the old FB application is more Metro in design, and sure the Beta app is more functional and cross platform, but there is always a middle ground. Example:

View attachment 33188 View attachment 33189
View attachment 33190 View attachment 33191

In these images I have made, I modified the screenshots for FB Beta. As you see, the image banner in this theoretical design would take up no less space then the fb beta top menu bar (and status bar), and would have the notification icons overlaid upon it. Also, the menu button would be in the MENU bar for the sake of os design. Second, pressing the menu button would cause the facebook menu to appear (with a thin shadow from the feed page, indicating its underneath the page you were on, giving it slight depth). The same would be for the friends button (previously within the top bar in FB Beta), being laid underneath the main menu.

This concept design would give off an appearance of metro (with its single menu bar and the old FB image banner w/ Metro stylized icons) as well as make it unique to the OS, while still giving it a cross platform feel and ease of use.

My point with all of this is there is always middle ground. I feel people AND developers either misunderstand and over utilize the OS design scheme (old FB app) or they throw out most of the os design altogether for usability and familiarity(FB Beta, which no, it is not Metro. just because you flatten it out, and use Segoe UI/WP, does not make it metro). People need to be Creative in utilizing the OS design scheme while still giving it functionality (&/or familiarity). Sort of a yin and yang of functionality and aesthetics.

Sadly, I doubt Microsoft will ever read this. :p

You say FB Beta isn't Metro, but all you have done is put a Facebook logo and thicker header, and all the rest is there design -- I'm totally lost. Aren't you contradicting yourself? Or am I missing something from the images you have provided?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This isn't rocket science, the new Facebook app is Metro. Its flat, has strong typography, and minimalism. It just doesn't have the common navigation header seen in most "basic" Metro apps.

In this case, MS thought it would be more appropriate to build an app that most people are familiar with (looks like touch.facebook) but applying the metro flavor.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
You say FB Beta isn't Metro, but all you have done is put a Facebook logo and thicker header, and all the rest is there design -- I'm totally lost. Aren't you contradicting yourself? Or am I missing something from the images you have provided?

My images were supposed to demonstrate compromise. FB Beta is not metro because (from appearance) all they have done is flatten the Facebook Touch ui and threw on Segoe UI/WP fonts. My images are not completely metro either by any stretch, but they are more so in a sense, due to simplicity (2 separate menu bars makes no sense), use of some Metro design schemes (the icons in the top area are actually Windows Phone 8 system icons, not flattened versions of Facebook's icons; all action icons (menu button, new post, image, check-in) are confined to the default menu bar on the bottom, and use only WP icons.), as well as the combination of them with the already flattened menu icons and segoe ui use (don't get me wrong, Just because its flat and uses segoe UI doesn't make it metro, but at the same time those are included underneath metro as well).

I was using the spork reference to try to make a point that not all app can confine to the ui in every element, but they need to confine enough that it isn't totally foreign to the OS. Sort of be a spork of design (OS Design + Familiarity and Functionality).

Also, this is why I said (imo) that the (concept) designs give off an appearance of metro. Its subtle changes. Im sure there is a way to make my design more metro stylized as well, but Its a start (and come on, you have to admit my design is closer to the old app then fb beta; Its also a nice design too.)

This isn't rocket science, the new Facebook app is Metro. Its flat, has strong typography, and minimalism. It just doesn't have the common navigation header seen in most "basic" Metro apps. End of story

Metro is more than minimalism, flatness, and segoe ui you know. Its the way it works. Its subtle touches. And it also (imo) should vary on an app-to-app basis (just because one app uses a style and is "Metro" doesn't mean another with the same style is.)

Also, its insulting when a company (especially the company who set the standard) takes an existing app, "takes a clothes iron to it" to flatten it out, and says "There. Its metro". It'd be like taking an apple pie mix, adding purple food coloring to the apples, then when its done I pass it off as a blackberry cobbler/pie. its not a blackberry cobbler, despite the fact that its a pie/cobbler, and its purple inside. Its still apples.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99