Is Windows 10 For Mobile Really The Name Now?

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The one thing at the moment that is irking the crap out of me is this name that keeps getting tossed around. Is the product still going to be known to the world as Windows Phone and the OS will have that ridiculously long new name or are they dropping the name Windows Phone name altogether?

I remember when Windows Phone was first announced, and all kinds of people were talking about how it needed a new name because having Windows in the name was a stigma and etc etc. Back then I was a loyal BlackBerry man however so I didn't pay alot of attention to what MS was doing anyway. It seems to have worked out fine, as the name Windows Phone is by now well known and established.

Other than diehards like most of us here, I can't see someone of any age going into a cellular store and saying "hmm, that's not an iPhone or Android, I like that Windows 10 for mobile." Or someone in public asking "what kind of phone is that" and me actually replying "This? Why it's a Windows 10 for mobile!"

Nope and nope. Ridiculously drawn out compared to just saying "it's a Windows Phone" is it not? Am I out of line? I do know this much, on or offline at no point will I ever refer to my device as a "Windows 10 for mobile", I'm calling it my Windows Phone whether Microsoft likes it or not :)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
The one thing at the moment that is irking the crap out of me is this name that keeps getting tossed around. Is the product still going to be known to the world as Windows Phone and the OS will have that ridiculously long new name or are they dropping the name Windows Phone name altogether?

I remember when Windows Phone was first announced, and all kinds of people were talking about how it needed a new name because having Windows in the name was a stigma and etc etc. Back then I was a loyal BlackBerry man however so I didn't pay alot of attention to what MS was doing anyway. It seems to have worked out fine, as the name Windows Phone is by now well known and established.

Other than diehards like most of us here, I can't see someone of any age going into a cellular store and saying "hmm, that's not an iPhone or Android, I like that Windows 10 for mobile." Or someone in public asking "what kind of phone is that" and me actually replying "This? Why it's a Windows 10 for mobile!"

Nope and nope. Ridiculously drawn out compared to just saying "it's a Windows Phone" is it not? Am I out of line? I do know this much, on or offline at no point will I ever refer to my device as a "Windows 10 for mobile", I'm calling it my Windows Phone whether Microsoft likes it or not :)

I don't think it will be known as Windows 10 for Mobile. It's internally known in Microsoft as "Windows 10 Mobile". But when people go the store. They won't say "Is that a Windows 10 for Mobile?" They will most likely say. "Is that a Windows phone". The "phone part is without the capital letter. So it's a device not a name of the OS.

EDIT: forgot to add. Windows 10 Mobile will replace. Windows Phone AND Windows RT

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm calling it my Windows Phone whether Microsoft likes it or not :)

Well, ok, but what if it's not on a phone? By all accounts my Surface 2 will be running the mobile version of Windows 10, and calling it "Windows Phone" would be silly since it doesn't make phone calls.

I hope that they leave out "for." It's clunky and serves no purpose. It should be "Windows 10" (or maybe "Windows 10 Pro") and "Windows 10 Mobile."

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps, but I find myself on the other side of that argument, that's all. It always seemed to me everyone is comfortable with short and memorable names, like saying "Android" or "Droid", "iPhone" or "BlackBerry", then running across something else and calling a "Windows 10 mobile." I just thought Windows Phone rolled off the tongue a little better.

On the subject of Android, perhaps MS can pull off what they did in their naming, is that the idea? Example, you go into a store and there a line of tablets on display running Android. It's not Android for tablets or etc, just Android. I hope the naming schemes work out.

Well, ok, but what if it's not on a phone?."

Answering a question about what is in your hand is fairly easy if its a tablet or a phone. Conversely, easy if you go into a store to ask for or are simply looking at one or the other, but it's possible I'm not perceiving your point the way you mean it.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think Windows 10 is okay, it just gives a sense of integration with it's other devices but at the same time confuses its new customer lol.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
How about just ignoring all the rumours and just wait till Jan 21st to get facts straight from Microsoft..
Sent from my Lumia 1320 all the way from Jupiter.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's just Windows. So...
Is it a Windows tablet?
I want a Windows phone.
I will buy you a Windows laptop.
I like Windows on my PC.

The way we don't have OneDrive for phones or Office for mobile or Xbox Music for tablets. It's going to be one brand in various form factors. So you only do and ask for Windows.
Using my Halloween Lumia 930.

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I think you're getting the device name confused with the OS name. Currently you have a Windows phone running Windows Phone 8.x. The only thing that'll change with Windows 10 is the OS name, you will still have a Windows phone. Just like you mentioned about the Surface, currently it's a Surface 2 running Windows RT 8.x, it will still be a Surface 2 when Windows 10 comes out.

Sent from my Windows phone using Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about for the phone. The os is called windows 10 we don't know what the phones will be called the windows 10 for mobile is a rumor until a official announcement

Phones will be called - Windows phone. Or phones running Windows or Phones with Windows. Whatever you want to call them. The way you call Android phones meaning phones that run Android. Same way call them Windows phone meaning phones that run Windows. Because that is what the OS will be - Windows.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has been caught on LinkedIn actually calling it "Windows Mobile 10" on job offerings.

So it's a probability that they'll bring "Windows Mobile" back.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has been caught on LinkedIn actually calling it "Windows Mobile 10" on job offerings.

So it's a probability that they'll bring "Windows Mobile" back.

I don't think so since. They want to unify every OS including the name. And Windows Mobile 10 is more confusing than Windows 10 Mobile.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so since. They want to unify every OS including the name. And Windows Mobile 10 is more confusing than Windows 10 Mobile.

Well, that's what Microsoft has been seen using. I wash my hands from it ;)

I personally don't really care what they call it. But Windows 10 shouldn't be it, otherwise people will expect normal Windows on the phone and it won't be, at all, the case.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard anyone say Windows Phone 8 out loud. It doesn't matter what they brand it everyone will refer to it as a Windows phone because it's a phone...with Windows on it. Look no further than Android to see that all of this is irrelevant. Motorola released a phone called Droid, Google made it out of that confusion fine.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's what Microsoft has been seen using. I wash my hands from it ;)

I personally don't really care what they call it. But Windows 10 shouldn't be it, otherwise people will expect normal Windows on the phone and it won't be, at all, the case.

I really hate that argument. There may be some truth to it, but I don't think MS should brand their product just to avoid confusing the 2% out there that don't get it.

Within the next 5 years, almost all the apps available on Desktop will be available on all devices. Desktop will just be reserved for those niche programs like AutoCAD, etc.

Even Adobe is beginning to port their portfolio over to ARM devices.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What you need to know is that we'll have two OSes. One Windows desktop OS (as we've always had) and one Windows mobile OS (without the desktop, which won't be able to run Win32 based desktop software, but it will potentially run all Store apps, provided devs want their app to run on all form factors).

What they'll call the Windows mobile OS is anyone's guess, but we'll find out in just two days. Except for the marketing angle, it's not that important. For the last few months I've been calling it W10M, but yeah, that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

My personal favourite is "Surface OS". The devices would then be called either "Surface phone", or "Surface tablet". The Surface Pro would retain the tablet/convertible form factor, but come with the full Windows desktop OS, which could of course also run Store apps. Unfortunately, I won't be surprised if MS sticks with a long and cumbersome name that has the word "Windows" in it somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss