It takes two to be wrong

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Stopped at an AT&T store to inquire about their GoPhone plans. While I rarely tether, it does come in handy a few times a year. I've heard that GoPhone plans allow tethering but I wanted to know for sure. I ask the clerk, and without hesitation he says no, the plans do not support tethering. Bummer.

So randomly I ask if GoPhone supports rollover data - which it does because I read it on there site. Again, without hesitation, he says no. Then he paused, turned to his coworker and asked her if GoPhone plans support rollover data. Again, without hesitation, she said no. That seemed odd, but instead of grilling them about it, I said thank you and left.

So when I got home, I started a chat with customer support. Same question, do GoPhone plans support tethering. The chat rep. said yes. Okay cool, plus 1 for the rep. Then I asked about rollover data, to which the chat rep. said that GoPhone plans do not support rollover data.

... :straight:

So I upped my data limit on Cricket instead. That way, everyone wins.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
getting a second opinion is always a good idea.
I just tested Internet Sharing with my son's Lumia 640 using a GoPhone SIM and it let me turn it on, so I it looks like it does support tethering.

GaborR

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Or just you didn't use enough for Carrier to be "angry" with you. Your phone reports your carrier tethering is on. Than the carrier disables it (or not). Exactly this behavior pushed me back to Android. There you can at least fix it:

Non rooted phone:
This can be fixed permanently using the following procedure (UPDATE: no root required):
1.Enable developer mode (Go to Settings -> About phone, and click on the build number until the developer mode is enabled).
2.Enable USB debugging under Settings -> Developer options
3.Connect the device with a USB cable to a computer with the Android SDK platform tools installed
4.Start an adb shell: adb shell
5.In the adb shell, run this command: settings put global tether_dun_required 0

I would love to know how to access such registry switch in WM10. Should be under the owner's control what the phone does with the outside world.

Lucas234

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't mean to revive this old thread, but Thread_Necromancer.jpg

If it still matters, I work for a retailer which sells GoPhones, and a rep came in today with stickers to cover the old information on the phone packaging, and the new information on the sticker suggests that they do support tethering, and data rollover. I'll take a picture tomorrow to verify.

Lucas234

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
WP_20160705_13_21_01_Pro (2).jpg

As you can see from the information on the packaging, they do support tethering, and rollover data for both the $60 and $45 plans.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamododomunı