It's not so bad - look at iOS 7.1.1

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this thread, to remind everyone that software updates are shaky, and prone to incidents.

However (and based on reading the title: I thought that's what this thread was about), this also reminds us that future software versions can help address issues and implement changes and much-needed fixes.

Yes, it's true that the Developer Preview is the exact same version as RTM, therefore making it the "final" version in many ways. However, no software is ever "final," so more improvements and optimizations are sure to roll out over the coming months. Hang in there, guys.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
People fail to realize that this isn't an official release... It's like a movie preview hence PREVIEW for developers. Microsoft keeps responding with things that will be fixed in the official.

You do realize that movie previews are the finished movie, only with an early release, right?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I believe everyone knows that no software is final. That's why we voice our opinions, because we want it to change. I do believe that MS will eventually get it, but I don't really know for sure if the person ahead of xbox music and this app really knows what he or she is doing. In reality, the current official xbox music app for wp8.1 is beta quality. The one that they released back on regular old wp8, wasn't even a pre beta quality. Something like that should have been fixed before going public. It's almost like they don't care about the public image of xbox music, and of course that effects windows phone since the music player is a main part of any phone OS.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
1.) This is ridiculous

2.)So we are know bashing and circlejerking other platforms to feel better about a an update on a phone?

First off this is a forum, of course you will SEE more bad than good, because people have problems and want solutions to their problems. Secondly, this UPDATE was not a wide release update, meaning update at your own peril. If someone updated their phones and had problems then that is in reality their own fault. As far as iOS and Android go, all updates mess up some peoples devices it just depends on whether you will actually hear about it (through forums or other outlets). Instead of bashing other platforms as it is going in this thread so far, maybe we should be spending time and energy helping those who need help around here. My $.02.

That's not just just 0.02$, that's gold! Totally agree with ya!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Pointing out flaws in other platforms isn't bashing and many of the responses here have been based on personal experiences. The thread was directed at those who assume that MS does everything wrong compared to Apple and Google.

Of course of this was just another WP bashing thread I'm sure certain posters here wouldn't be so offended and would join in on the "circle jerking"

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I know a lot of people have been complaining about WP 8.1 and bashing MS for releasing an update that is incomplete or buggy in their eyes. A lot of these people also mention that they wish updates would be as smooth as those for Android or iOS. Well updates for those platforms are hardly ever that smooth and often cause more problems than what the 8.1 update has caused for us.

Just take a look at iOS 7.1.1 which was released recently. There are widespread complaints in the Apple community that the update is bricking devices, wiping out data and even making the prior iOS 7 battery drain issue even worse (an issue that it was supposed to fix).

So yeah the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

A lot of those complaining don't comprehend this isn't a general release of WP 8.1, but jumped on the developer preview bandwagon. Its not in its final form yet, lets see what happens when it is official released before bashing it. I think its an awesome OS, and have had very few issues with it. the ones I have, I can live with. nothing earth shattering.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, this beta is easily more stable than a number of iOS updates I've dealt with... and don't even get me started on Android!

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
For all y'all that keep insisting the WP Developers preview IS the final product that will be released, this was stated by Joe Belfiore in a AMA on Reddit a few minutes ago:
[–]joebelfioreVP, Lead Windows Phone Team[S] [score hidden] 15 minutes ago
Developer preview is NOT final.. there's client-side software fixes we're still making, when UPDATES go out to existing phones they will come with "BSP" (low-level phone firmware) updates from the OEMs... and the Services (cortana) are continuallyl getting improved. SO.. when you get an official update or buy a new phone, it'll be more polished than what you folks have now.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
For all y'all that keep insisting the WP Developers preview IS the final product that will be released, this was stated by Joe Belfiore in a AMA on Reddit a few minutes ago:

Well this can't be the final one and kind of misinformed individual to claim it is.

In the Microsoft world there are stages such as Developer preview and consumer preview or community technology preview.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo