Just got my lumia 950 xl, love WP 10! Why is WP having a hard time?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
According to the small survey I did on here, over half of people use UWPs on the desktop, tablet and laptop. Some prefer the speed, or the fact they are single task orientated. I'd say most people on a tablet use UWPs. And they are definitely handy on an xbox, or HoloLens.

There's definitely an entrenched PC user base that is sort of philosophically opposed to UWPs on desktop in some way too. Or maybe they are just more along the lines of power users who browse 50 tabs at a time. IDK, perhaps something in between.

Sometimes for me on the desktop, the option is clear in favour of one or the other - little difference, okay UWP because it'll be faster, big functional differences, okay x86.

I use web apps and UWPs and UWAs from the store, primarily on my tablet, but some on my desktop. In some cases, the increased simplicity, dedicatedness is welcome on bigger screens, for me. In particular the lightweightness.

Keep in mind everything like groove, weather - are UWP too. Edge too I believe. And that's no slouch as a browser, hardly android browser league.

MS didn't unify the platform just for phones IMO. They unified to create their "one OS on many devices". Something that has only partially taken shape. We will see it taking more form with windows cloud, windows on arm, scorpio, the IoT core etc.

I'm sure the lightweight nature of UWPs will be equally welcome on wearables.

Of course there's UWAs as well as UWPs. x86 programs that run on different hardware platforms (like say, console and PC), and that's another platform that'll be extended over time, for example by windows on arm.

Depends on the UWP. Adobe DC is exponentially better than say Perfect PDF Combine, which I consider the best of all the UWP apps for PDFs. Let's not even get into the Office apps.

As for UWP browsers I would say Monument Browser is a tick better than Edge but the whole equation changes when Edge runs on Continuum. It's as close to a desktop browser as it gets.

I'm not sold on WoA until I see it live and in color, as it were.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Depends on the UWP. Adobe DC is exponentially better than say Perfect PDF Combine, which I consider the best of all the UWP apps for PDFs. Let's not even get into the Office apps.

As for UWP browsers I would say Monument Browser is a tick better than Edge but the whole equation changes when Edge runs on Continuum. It's as close to a desktop browser as it gets.

I'm not sold on WoA until I see it live and in color, as it were.

Office 365 is coming to UWP I believe.

AWspicious 13

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I like this OS a lot. It's fast. easy, looks nice, customizable. Instagram seems a little watered down, but that's no biggie as of now. The only problem I'm having is not being able to send and receive pictures and videos on text messages. Trying to get it working now. Started a thread on the 950 xl forum about it.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...xting-me-new-950-xl-new-wp10.html#post3654620

Any help I would be very thankful for. I hope Microsoft start to work more on WP, fans want it, and it could really be something great if they bother to try.

I won't bother to comment on the woes of Windows 10 Mobile....Phone....whatever. I will, however, suggest you check and adjust your carrier info in the network settings in order to fix the picture/video message (MMS) issue you're experiencing. Search your carrier's website or online cellphone forums... or just call customer service.
Good luck.

sjactivity

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Just switched from android to to Windows Mobile 10 with a nice Lumia 950 xl. I'm going to be blunt, I can't see why Windows phone is having any problems at all. The OS is great. Windows Mobile 10 is amazing. Easy, fast, feeling like Windows on my PC. I kinda can't see why its not doing so good. Now being that my last Windows phone was a dell venue pro witch was WP7, I have missed a lot. I don't know all the dark times. But as someone who I's coming fresh to the new current WP10. It owns. Great hand set. The switch coming from a galaxy s4 was very easy. I got basically everything my old phone had.

This kinda make me ask, why is WP having such troubled times, and has such a bad rap? Microsoft should be purring everything into this. Not trying do do a 3rd time WP reboot/reset. This OS is great, its got some much potential. If they really tried I could see them, one day, being 15% to 20% of the phone market possibly. Microsoft should be rolling out updates for this OS every week. Is Microsoft not trying or something? Everyone thinks this OS is dead witch is really sad.

After so many years of using windows phone and currently using Lumia 950xl Iam now forced to come out of windows mobile. I cannot believe Microsoft doesn't fully support office 365 on their own phone.It's something to do with where the data sits and encrypted. Due to this my company is pulling support for O365 for work emails. But Microsoft supports it on android and iPhone. I now have to carry my personal phone and an android work phone. Android phone has dual sim so Iam eventually going to move my windows mobile sim into it and stop using windows mobile.

Secondly maps on windows mobile has become a joke. It's so unresponsive and slow when navigating even on walking.

Thirdly not many companies has moved their apps from standard to universal app. So all the apps still look ooooold.

SageSage456

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Someone mentioned the sheep factor. I have first-hand experience with that. I got the Lumina 735, the only WP at Verizon. My wife got a Galaxy something. I explained to her that WP is easier, syncs to her computer and everything, and was a better choice for a non-techy like her. (She goes to Verizon to get her voicemail cleared when the box is full.) Her reason? All her friends have Android or iOS.

I have no qualms with my phone. The upgrade from 8.1 to 10 was smooth and it seems crisper overall with WM10. I do not do anything on mobile that links to the bank so the apps that do that are not important. I don't need to keep up to the minute with Facebook, Instagram, Tweet-n-Twit.

Maybe the difference is the group of people who have their phone in their hand all the time and the other group who have the phone in the backpack. For one it is an extension of self, for the other it is a tool. If you want a good reliable tool that can also play sometimes, the WP is your best option.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Just switched from android to to Windows Mobile 10 with a nice Lumia 950 xl. I'm going to be blunt, I can't see why Windows phone is having any problems at all. The OS is great. Windows Mobile 10 is amazing. Easy, fast, feeling like Windows on my PC. I kinda can't see why its not doing so good. Now being that my last Windows phone was a dell venue pro witch was WP7, I have missed a lot. I don't know all the dark times. But as someone who I's coming fresh to the new current WP10. It owns. Great hand set. The switch coming from a galaxy s4 was very easy. I got basically everything my old phone had.

This kinda make me ask, why is WP having such troubled times, and has such a bad rap? Microsoft should be purring everything into this. Not trying do do a 3rd time WP reboot/reset. This OS is great, its got some much potential. If they really tried I could see them, one day, being 15% to 20% of the phone market possibly. Microsoft should be rolling out updates for this OS every week. Is Microsoft not trying or something? Everyone thinks this OS is dead witch is really sad.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
As an Insider I find a lot of the OS working great, however each build seems to fix a few items, but breaks a few that has been working. Talking to people working at AT&T store, I hear the App gap is the main problem why people don't want the Windows phone. It appears there are certain apps the people want and are not available on the Windows phone.
Not all people purchasing the phone are technical advanced, so reset the phone and having to reload it is out of the question. New builds have to be able to load, without problems.
The phone has to work as a phone first, calling and texting, both outgoing and incoming. I found when at a park walking, seeing who is calling or texting is very difficult, even in the shade.
I still show the phone to friends and show the good points, but when some good points aren't working, it's difficult to show others. I had trouble with the Edge, far as trying to tap on links, just to find it's not working as well as IE or other browsers.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That explains the US. What about the rest of the world that doesn't use CDMA?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

I can't speak for the rest of the world, just the market I am in. I would actually be interested to see what other users around the globe witnessed with WP phone sales tactics and environemnt. I believe sales were climbing in 2013/14/15, what changed in 2016?

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As an Insider I find a lot of the OS working great, however each build seems to fix a few items, but breaks a few that has been working. Talking to people working at AT&T store, I hear the App gap is the main problem why people don't want the Windows phone. It appears there are certain apps the people want and are not available on the Windows phone.
Not all people purchasing the phone are technical advanced, so reset the phone and having to reload it is out of the question. New builds have to be able to load, without problems.
The phone has to work as a phone first, calling and texting, both outgoing and incoming. I found when at a park walking, seeing who is calling or texting is very difficult, even in the shade.
I still show the phone to friends and show the good points, but when some good points aren't working, it's difficult to show others. I had trouble with the Edge, far as trying to tap on links, just to find it's not working as well as IE or other browsers.

I would question the salesman's knowledge if he tells you it's an app gap problem. Not saying it's a contributor, it definitely is, but that's not the main issue for WP now. If a million new WP apps appeared and covered all the most popular apps you would barely see an uptick in WP sales.

Why? Well, because where do you go to buy a WP? In my Sprint store they don't have a single WP phone on display. They don't even list any on their website. There are no WP phones on AT&T's site either. Did you even see a WP phone on display when you were there? People can't buy what they don't see.

MS's biggest problem going back to 2011 is it's inability to get all their phones on all carriers and in all carrier stores. People want to walk into a store, pick out the phone they want, set up a payment plan, and walk out with their shiny new phone. The vast majority of cell phone users do this. Yet for most WP phones you have to go online, find a phone that works with your carrier, and pay full price up front. Sorry, that's not going to work with US customers.

To comeback MS needs to take several necessary steps. And after they have given up so much ground it will still be a huge challenge.

1. Make some killer phones. The holy grail 'x86' phone, if possible, would a big plus.
  2. Get all their models on all carriers. No exclusives.
  3. Make them available as contract/lease phones. Few people want to pay full price up front.
  4. Get phones in stores in front of customers. Buyers (US at least) like to walk in and try the phones they want to buy.
  5. Get the big name and popular apps on (or back on for those that left) WP
  6. Advertise like crazy.
  7. Subsidize at first, if possible.

Then hang on, because it's still going to be a hard battle for WP.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
After so many years of using windows phone and currently using Lumia 950xl Iam now forced to come out of windows mobile. I cannot believe Microsoft doesn't fully support office 365 on their own phone.It's something to do with where the data sits and encrypted. Due to this my company is pulling support for O365 for work emails. But Microsoft supports it on android and iPhone. I now have to carry my personal phone and an android work phone. Android phone has dual sim so Iam eventually going to move my windows mobile sim into it and stop using windows mobile.

Secondly maps on windows mobile has become a joke. It's so unresponsive and slow when navigating even on walking.

Thirdly not many companies has moved their apps from standard to universal app. So all the apps still look ooooold.

the office 365 uwp is coming this year.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
the office 365 uwp is coming this year.

Not WM related, but if Office365 becomes UWP-only for all platforms, it should be interesting to see the reaction when people suddenly need a separate license for every person who shares a PC (plus one license for the guest account?) instead of one license per PC.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
That explains the US. What about the rest of the world that doesn't use CDMA?
Exactly. It's the US centric view that killed the platform. In Europe, everyone and my sister could get those phones from any carrier. In some countries, it worked. It is not necessary that it has to hit a thereshold in the US first. European (and other regions) people also buy and want apps. For devs, it wasn't that bad, and we got quite some apps.
It was MS which had no patience to wait for further growth, and made some catastrophic decisions in 2014/2015.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I suspect that Nokia played a role in the downfall. Being just a distant observer, I have no clue what really happened, but it looks like Nokia didn't meet targets and I suspect there was an agreement for MS to essentially bail them out by buying out the phone making business.

So I think if MS didn't buy Nokia, they would have bailed anyway, or gone broke.

Why MS has decided to buy them out and then pretty much immediately give up, I have no clue. If anything, I suspect that the 'growth at any cost' approach of MS is over and they wanted the phone business to be profitable without it being heavily subsidised by other areas of the business.

The rumoured Nokia 9 looks really good though, and I wish that they wouldn't just completely abandon windows. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope that they could still offer their phones with windows alongside android.

However, with that, I suspect even this approach isn't going to be as brilliant as Nokia would like. They now enter a highly competitive environment, and we'll see how they manage. I get the feeling that they won't be able to significantly differentiate themselves, and probably have the same problems that they did previously.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Not WM related, but if Office365 becomes UWP-only for all platforms, it should be interesting to see the reaction when people suddenly need a separate license for every person who shares a PC (plus one license for the guest account?) instead of one license per PC.

That doesn't seem nessasary to me. Surely the download will be free and it'll just be linked just like it is now.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Exactly. It's the US centric view that killed the platform. In Europe, everyone and my sister could get those phones from any carrier. In some countries, it worked. It is not necessary that it has to hit a thereshold in the US first. European (and other regions) people also buy and want apps. For devs, it wasn't that bad, and we got quite some apps.
It was MS which had no patience to wait for further growth, and made some catastrophic decisions in 2014/2015.

I actually agree the US centric view isn't helping MS. Windows 10 mobile was more popular in Europe, Australia, asia. Same story with their taking on the chromebook. Outside of the US, schools don't buy into that wholesale, its just a consumer device for people with less cash.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Time to play Devil's Advocate!

I know my Priv has color settings and the Galaxy S8, among other phones certainly do.

The Huawei P9 has a 500 nit display, the LG G6 and iPhone 7 Plus also can smash 500 nits in automatic mode if need be so it's all hardware dependent.

Pushbullet and other things are a solution for Android, iMessage already works across Apple devices.

Samsung's DeX and Maru OS are two Android solutions that work, and they're actually being improved I believe.

@xandros9 I understand, but those are all flagships. The Lumia line from the lowest x50 device to the highest x50 all include those nifty features, minus continuum and brightness I suppose.

technogeek019

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
May I suggest that you go and buy a Xiaomi Mi5 or Mi6 and compare either of these two phones to any Windows phone, the Mi5 and Mi6 are streets ahead.
Also download the MIUI Forum app and join in the community, the support is brilliant.
Then compare that to the support that Microsoft has given to people that have bought a Surface 2 tablet, a Band 2 or a Lumia phone.

The app experiences, microsoft integration, fluidity of the OS is also better. Win10 for phones right now is just plain buggy and unusable as a daily driver smartphone os.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Win10 for phones right now is just plain buggy and unusable as a daily driver smartphone os.

No it isn't. Not even close. You would have to show how I manage to

- Check email on live tiles, one tile per important mail folder
- Read/Send emails using Outlook mail client
- See weather on live tile
- Send and receive messages
- Surf the web on Edge
- See calendar events on live tile
- Schedule events on calendar
- Sync with OneDrive
- Obviously view items on OneDrive in my phone
- Read PDFs
- Listen to music on Groove
- Use tile-groups to reduce space
- Quickly take photos of really good quality
- Check Facebook (which I honestly care little about)
- Watch Netflix (also care little about)
- Open the door to my bank's ATM locations with my phone's NFC / bank app
- Use the same to pay at Duane Reade, C-Town grocery, Trader Joe's, NY Yellow (and green) cabs
- Unlock the phone with an iris scan
- Get locations and directions using maps
- Read MS Office docs

"daily"

I mean, seriously: Do you people EVER get tired of exaggerating reality??? No wonder the OS struggles when you whine about things to this nonsensical degree.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb