[L640] It's finally here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. Trying to decipher the specs seems to always be a mess.

NP. And actually, after reading a different thread it seems that the expansys specs are incomplete. According to Microsoft it does actually have additional 3G bands which would make the lack of VoLTE tolerable (I'm assuming they are referring to the same model number here).

Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Global

Cellular connectivity[SUP]7[/SUP]
  • GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
  • GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0 kbps
  • GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
  • WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
  • WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2 Mbps (Cat 24)
  • WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
  • LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 28 (700 MHz), Band 12 (700 MHz)
  • TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620 MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400 MHz)
  • LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
  • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting for this phone. Grr... It's getting difficult, though. I love my 925, but I'd love to have the extra storage via SD card. What's more, I visited an Apple store today because my boyfriend wanted to see about getting his iPod repaired and I really liked the iPhone 6 I was tinkering with when we were there. Really nice phone. But I don't want to leave Windows Phone at all. I hope as someone else mentioned, it actually does come out by the 15th and not a day later than that.

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for this phone, very patiently. Saw the sign at the local Wal-Mart without any actual phones hanging there. Same price $99.76. Really hoping this phone hurries and comes out.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Checked Walmart yesterday. Took the hanger to the register and was told that if they had stock they would be out on the hook. Asked what the purpose of the hanger was, since printed at the bottom is, "Take this to the register to purchase (para.)". Didn't get an answer. Will continue checking daily, though.

anon(9435020)

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Still waiting. I have to wait until we can afford to buy it anyway. Being a freelance translator (in the US) when the economy is tanking in the country my work is based on is not a lot of fun.

drew_t

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

"The bad news here is it looks like T-Mobile retails stores will not be stocking the phones on their shelves. Instead, the Lumia 640 is listed as a 'Ship to (direct fulfillment)' system. That means T-Mobile will order it for you online or via telesales, and then either ship it directly to you or your local store.*"

Wow. How badly do these guys not want to be selling these things??

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
"The bad news here is it looks like T-Mobile retails stores will not be stocking the phones on their shelves. Instead, the Lumia 640 is listed as a 'Ship to (direct fulfillment)' system. That means T-Mobile will order it for you online or via telesales, and then either ship it directly to you or your local store.*"

Yea its very strange.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I was just about to comment on the very same thing, but you beat me to it lol

How well did the Lumia 635 sell then? I'm guessing T-Mobile has already given up on Windows Phone. It's almost as if they're under duress by Microsoft to sell the Lumia 640 at this point and don't want to be associated with it.

chris41336

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting for it, but Expansys finally shipped mine so I now have it.

I just want to confirm that T-mobile LTE does indeed work (at least on the RM-1113 model) by simply inserting my SIM card. There is an odd glitch where my bars consistently don't stay at max, but it doesn't matter because the speeds aren't seemingly affected.

The SIM2 slot being empty symbol on top is annoying but easily ignorable. The speed difference between this and the 635 is crazy. I was losing it with my 635 honestly. It just felt like a 2001 celeron PC with the lag it had doing even simple things.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Checked Walmart yesterday. Took the hanger to the register and was told that if they had stock they would be out on the hook. Asked what the purpose of the hanger was, since printed at the bottom is, "Take this to the register to purchase (para.)". Didn't get an answer. Will continue checking daily, though.
That was the exact answer I was given, and I also got the same response when I asked about the message on the hanger card. At least when the Lumia 521 came to Walmart there wasn't the drama that appears to be happening with this phone.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting for it, but Expansys finally shipped mine so I now have it.

I just want to confirm that T-mobile LTE does indeed work (at least on the RM-1113 model) by simply inserting my SIM card. There is an odd glitch where my bars consistently don't stay at max, but it doesn't matter because the speeds aren't seemingly affected.

The SIM2 slot being empty symbol on top is annoying but easily ignorable. The speed difference between this and the 635 is crazy. I was losing it with my 635 honestly. It just felt like a 2001 celeron PC with the lag it had doing even simple things.

Couple of questions for you if you don't mind..

1) Have you been able to update the phone with the latest patch release that was announced a few days ago?

2) Does it "downshift" to HSPA from LTE when you are making a voice call (indicating lack of VoLTE functionality)?

3) Does wifi calling work?

TIA :)

chris41336

May 27, 2012
Visit site
1) If you could let me know what version the update brings the phone to I could tell you. I can tell you that there has been NO update downloaded on the phone since I started using it, however that doesn't mean it didn't come pre-loaded with it.

2) I just checked by calling my voicemail - yes it does. Instantly down to "H" from "4G". So it does NOT have VoLTE functionality, at least not in its current state.

3) Wifi calling isn't possible unless you have T-Mobile firmware I believe. However, even if it is available without that firmware, I don't think it was available unless you have that most recent update which I don't think I got yet. Either way, it isn't that it isn't working - it isn't even available. In fact when I "restored" my phone from my 635, the app was on my homescreen, but blacked out and it gave an "unavailable" error when I hit it.

Some of these things such as VoLTE may be fixable by calling T-mobile and getting "legal" if you will since I just did a cold sim swap. Sometimes calling T-mobile and them entering your IMEI into the system, etc, fixes some strange things. For example, on my 635 I had visual voicemail and I don't on my 640. I also think my bars glitch will be fixed once I call them but I'm not sure.

Overall, I can live with these glitches because the 635 was borderline unusable, even to listen to Spotify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss