Live tiles and lockscreen stopped updating on AT&T HTC 8X

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My live tiles used to work pretty well, subject to the limitation in settings on the number that can be "live". I've noticed over the last several days or week that most of them have stopped updating. All my weather app tiles, CNN, battery tile, weather on my lockscreen. I don't know whether this has anything to do with the Portico update, but it's clear that they were working and now they're not. I'm using the HTC 8X on AT&T.

Any thoughts?

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
They stop working if you don't open the app in 14 days.

Have you tried a soft reset?
I've opened all these apps in 14 days. Pretty much every day.
Is a "soft reset" turning the phone off and on? If so, I've done that a number of times.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Do you really use 4 weather apps? 5 if you count the HTC hub? Block some of those first.

Are there others in the list that you don't need to allow to run in the background? Tap each one, read the description of the background task and disable any you think you don't need.

Do that, soft reset and see how it goes. If there are some you disabled that you would like to use, enable them one by one and see how performance is.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Do you really use 4 weather apps? 5 if you count the HTC hub? Block some of those first.

Are there others in the list that you don't need to allow to run in the background? Tap each one, read the description of the background task and disable any you think you don't need.

Do that, soft reset and see how it goes. If there are some you disabled that you would like to use, enable them one by one and see how performance is.
Thanks for the suggestion, will try and see how it goes. Thing is I've always had all those weather apps, and most everything else on there, and the tiles were working fine until recently.

woodsielord

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Same here with me on Lumia 920. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Portico didn't fix it.

Live tiles for anything other than Phone, Me, Messages, and Mail don't work. They only refresh after I go in an app. And I only have two activated: Microsoft Weather and Battery Tile. I even replaced battery tile with another app named Battery. That doesn't work either.

What led me to realize this failure to refresh in its full extent was the Bing lockscreen wallpaper. It started lagging behind my desktop Bing. Now I have to refresh it through lockscreen settings everyday. Kinda beats the purpose.

What to do? I really cannot afford the time to do a hard reset again.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Same with me. Everything had been working fine, and now they don't. No idea why the change? Portico? Or did I download some app or update that messed everything up? If I do a soft reset I won't lose everything, will I?

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
soft rest = hold vol down + power
hard reset = factory reset (lose all apps/settings)

This is wrong. vol down & power forces a soft reset, unless you hold it indefinitely after the vibrate. But vol down + power is what you should do if your phone freezes.

The issue in this thread happened to many people, myself included. My suggestion fixed it for all of us...

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This is wrong. vol down & power forces a soft reset, unless you hold it indefinitely after the vibrate. But vol down + power is what you should do if your phone freezes.

The issue in this thread happened to many people, myself included. My suggestion fixed it for all of us...

Pardon me if I'm not getting this, but I did the soft reset=hold volume down and power until the phone starts to vibrate, and that gets me to a "normal" power off screen "Slide down to power off", which I did. So did I do a soft reset?

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Pardon me if I'm not getting this, but I did the soft reset=hold volume down and power until the phone starts to vibrate, and that gets me to a "normal" power off screen "Slide down to power off", which I did. So did I do a soft reset?

Per WinPhoneSupport, that should work on all devices. Possibility that they're wrong. I know it works on the 920, but don't own an 8X. Clear the IE history, & then do whatever button combo forces a soft reset.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Per WinPhoneSupport, that should work on all devices. Possibility that they're wrong. I know it works on the 920, but don't own an 8X. Clear the IE history, & then do whatever button combo forces a soft reset.
I did all that with no change. Then Deleted all my podcast subscriptions, and unpinned and repinned tiles. Nothing working. Sucks. I do not want to do a hard reset.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I did all that with no change. Then Deleted all my podcast subscriptions, and unpinned and repinned tiles. Nothing working. Sucks. I do not want to do a hard reset.

it'll take a while after that method, what I do is turn all background tasks off & back on, then clear, then reset, & don't touch my phone for 30 min to an hour.

Seems like opening the tiles makes it worse. I once had to try this method 6 times throughout the day until it finally worked

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
it'll take a while after that method, what I do is turn all background tasks off & back on, then clear, then reset, & don't touch my phone for 30 min to an hour.

Seems like opening the tiles makes it worse. I once had to try this method 6 times throughout the day until it finally worked
It's been suggested to me over at Windows Phone Support by at least one user that I'll need to do a hard reset. Ugh.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It's been suggested to me over at Windows Phone Support by at least one user that I'll need to do a hard reset. Ugh.

Do what you wish, but this has happened to me three times, once because of Portico, & twice due to Bluetooth crashes - my solution fixed it all times. Search these forums & you'll find others using that method

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss