LTE with Cricket on unlocked 920

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello folks,

I recently switched carriers from T-Mobile to the new Cricket Wireless owned by AT&T. I am currently using my unlocked Lumia 920 on it. Coverage is alright here in north Columbus. Internet Sharing and MMS works, data is throttled to 4mbps on HSPA+.

I was wondering if anyone using an unlocked phone (or Lumia 920) on Cricket is getting LTE? The highest speed I get is 4G (throttled HSPA+) while my phone is an unlocked pentaband LTE 920 which supports all AT&T bands.

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was contemplating on going with Cricket (SF Bay Area) next time I upgrade my phone (buy it outright)... but if LTE is not available (throttled at 8Mbps I think I can live with), that will be a deal breaker for me... it will be good if anyone can shed some light on this....

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I finally figured out how to get LTE on Cricket with my phone. So I had to go to Field Test, and select the 4G Bands manually, it had defaulted to Band 4 (I am on a pentaband device so I get some additional options in Field Test) hence I couldn't get LTE. Once I selected all bands...bammm...full bars LTE. Now I am happy with the 15MBPS speed.

On a side note, those guys at my store are worthless, they don't even know how Windows Phones work in general. There was chick over there who was crying because one of the store guys had deleted all her contacts from her 1320 (probably a reset) and couldn't figure out how to bring them back. I had to step in, tell her to setup her Microsoft account and Gmail account and that's it, she was a happy camper! Well sometimes I think Microsoft should start appointing WP ambassadors...lol and give us credits to a buy a new phone :D

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I can attest that all but one employee at my local Cricket store are incompetent. Glad you figured out how to get LTE. My 920 is still locked to AT&T, but works fine with Cricket. By the way, how did you get 15 MB speed? I thought Cricket limited speed to 8 MB as the top speed for the high-speed data allotment.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's still the case, somehow at the Cricket store i was getting about 18-13MBPS, once i came home the speed dropped to about 5-7MBPS. May be they have a better speed setup at their store just to lure customers

us66

May 18, 2014
Visit site
920 on Cricket, too. LTE fine from day one. Have you had trouble with MMS? Mine didn't work at all until the ATT 8.1 update and it works fine now.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I finally figured out how to get LTE on Cricket with my phone. So I had to go to Field Test, and select the 4G Bands manually, it had defaulted to Band 4 (I am on a pentaband device so I get some additional options in Field Test) hence I couldn't get LTE. Once I selected all bands...bammm...full bars LTE. Now I am happy with the 15MBPS speed.

On a side note, those guys at my store are worthless, they don't even know how Windows Phones work in general. There was chick over there who was crying because one of the store guys had deleted all her contacts from her 1320 (probably a reset) and couldn't figure out how to bring them back. I had to step in, tell her to setup her Microsoft account and Gmail account and that's it, she was a happy camper! Well sometimes I think Microsoft should start appointing WP ambassadors...lol and give us credits to a buy a new phone :D
Is the rm-820 the pentaband version?

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Will this work also for a Lumia 925 from T-Mobile that's unlocked? Thinking of moving to Cricket since I'm moving and T-Mobile service at my new house is horrible and AT&T has strong LTE coverage.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Is the rm-820 the pentaband version?

Pentaband versions are Rogers or Developers.

+ Latin America variants. Mine is a Rogers variant

Will this work also for a Lumia 925 from T-Mobile that's unlocked? Thinking of moving to Cricket since I'm moving and T-Mobile service at my new house is horrible and AT&T has strong LTE coverage.

Yes it should work right out of the box, I had the exact same setup before I sold my 925 to a fellow WC member

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilyyVon