Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

Michael Shaw

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
re: Lumia 1520 Bugs & Defects

I have 4.39 gigabytes left according to storage check.
I have 11 apps that I allow to run in the background.
I do have Cortana pinned but would that affect app performance or start performance to the extent I described?
I have not uninstalled Nokia specific settings. I wasn't even aware you could uninstall them.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I have 4.39 gigabytes left according to storage check.
I have 11 apps that I allow to run in the background.
I do have Cortana pinned but would that affect app performance or start performance to the extent I described?
I have not uninstalled Nokia specific settings. I wasn't even aware you could uninstall them.

Keep Cortana but get rid of her live tile.

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I've never had any problems with my 1520 for over 6 months. I'm running the developers build of WP 8.1. There has been a lot of updates over the last couple days and now my phone, while off, is randomly getting hot and draining the battery. When I try to start it back up I get to the lock screen and can slide it up. Then, Windows never starts. It just sit there with a black screen and the dots going across the screen with the word LOADING in the middle of the screen. It will not recover from this. I have to do a complete power down and back up. I've check the Battery Saver app and it shows different apps using the battery but nothing consistent to point to an app as the problem. I'm thinking this problem correlates to the latest Nokia Display update but I'm not totally sure.

Anyone else having this issue. I really would hate to have to Hard Reset but maybe that would fix it.

Tankor

May 11, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys
My 1520 has 2 issues that I hope somebody more knowledgable might advise
1) firstly I have the over sensitive screen issue when it always interprets a swipe as a tap and activates the tiles or link instead of scrolling. I have already set sensitivity to normal
2) the bigger issue is when I leave the 1520 alone for sometime like charging overnight etc, I will come back n tap on any app and it will freeze at that app. Only a soft reset ( lower volume +power) will work.
I seem to notice this after this recently and us not sure whether it is due to the minor update released recently for 8.1 or some apps I have installed . Any information or guidance will b very helpful

Many thanks
:)

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I've never had any problems with my 1520 for over 6 months. I'm running the developers build of WP 8.1. There has been a lot of updates over the last couple days and now my phone, while off, is randomly getting hot and draining the battery. When I try to start it back up I get to the lock screen and can slide it up. Then, Windows never starts. It just sit there with a black screen and the dots going across the screen with the word LOADING in the middle of the screen. It will not recover from this. I have to do a complete power down and back up. I've check the Battery Saver app and it shows different apps using the battery but nothing consistent to point to an app as the problem. I'm thinking this problem correlates to the latest Nokia Display update but I'm not totally sure.

Anyone else having this issue. I really would hate to have to Hard Reset but maybe that would fix it.

Do you have Cortana live tile? If you do get rid of the live tile.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, the 1020 has the same stuttering when you go to the home screen. I don't think its a 1520 bug. I have both phones. I figured the 1020 just didn't have the power it needed, but then I just got the 1520 and its still visible.

I wonder if Microsoft is even aware? Has this made it to the Uservoice or anything?

I don't get it all the time. It seems I get it most when I'm closing Apps in the multitasking view and return to the home screen.

Sebastianx

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I've experience serious bug with my 1520 recently.
My 1520 is on the latest Preview for Developers build. But still it doesn't addressed this problems

Phone just reboots itself while watching Youtube on IE. Without any errors or even a warning it just reboots. I didn't experience any random reboots using my 1520 for long hours even light and heavy usage but on Youtube its a different story.

#2 Insane Battery Drain.
Even left on idle, the phone just heats up and i noticed after opening the phone on its hot state is that my start screen just loads and even need a soft reset to fix the issue. My phone is on idle battery saver is turned on and also no running applications in the background. Battery drain 5-10% or even massive if I didn't notice the heat up.

Here's the picture:
vpvyg9.jpg

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

I had the heat up a few weeks ago but it has gone away, actually i'm more careful with what i leave in background. Basically i close down every app i use to minimize the battery drain (same thing i do with my Android phone).
I'm have swedish model so no Cortana available here so that wasnt the problem as many seem to think.

Funny enough i just noticed my 1520 getting a bit hotter then usual and surely the battery had gone from 80 to 36% in a very short time. I think its nextgen reader and IE that are the cause. Seems IE uses allot of power when its in background. Not the first time i see this.

jmberumenb

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

My 1520 gets extreme hot (almost burn my hand) when use the GPS for just 25 mins and make it almost untoucheable at hot outside temp also notice an Yellow line on top screen and as the 1520 gets hotter the line grows and gets more yellow.

Also I notice white spots on white backround, the infamous lcd bleeding....too many issues for an Top of the Line Nokia.

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My 1520 gets extreme hot (almost burn my hand) when use the GPS for just 25 mins and make it almost untoucheable at hot outside temp also notice an Yellow line on top screen and as the 1520 gets hotter the line grows and gets more yellow.

Also I notice white spots on white backround, the infamous lcd bleeding....too many issues for an Top of the Line Nokia.

If you had photos of the problems it might help others.

If the phone gets too hot it will switch itself off.

dubr

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the touch sensitivity issues like many of you, but I can deal with that. My biggest issue, which I haven't seen mentioned, is lag. This phone has a quad core processor and 2 gigs of ram right? So why am I experiencing a lot more lag on this device than I ever did on my 920, which had half the processing abilities? I experience it on the home screen and in apps. More than once, when I unlock my phone, it pops up the "resuming screen." Thinking I left an app open, I enter the multitasking screen to shut it down, and discover that it's the start that's resuming. I've never seen that happen on another Windows Phone. It has trouble running games too. Games like N.O.V.A. and Modern Combat aren't the only games that lag either, the phone often has trouble running Subway Surfers. It's starting to really **** me off that this phone lags so much. Any ideas on a fix?

I had same problem.

Unpin Cortana from home screen.

This works around that 'resuming' from lock screen issue. Cortoana goes rampant during lock screen when she's in your home screen for some reason.

Re laggy gaming, haven't had too much trouble running any games but maybe that unpin Cortana work around might help things.

I myself am experiencing an issue where sometimes when I wake up the phone (1520) the colors are 16bit colour depth? So, really crude colours.

I currently work around that by locking and unlocking phone.

Are any of you experiencing that with your 1520s???

jmberumenb

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

If you had photos of the problems it might help others.

If the phone gets too hot it will switch itself off.

I will as long as the yellow line re appear.

Im affraid of a broken lcd or frie the mainboard believe me gets rral real hot. Here was 104F and used the GPS to find a street and then happens the yellow line at top and get hot as fire.

Also let me upload the white spots asap.

thanks

jmberumenb

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I can't see anything wrong but that could be down to me viewing it on my Surface RT

Is very hard to take in a pic.

You can see it only in white background is not very bright but is enough to catch the eye.

I took a look around the web and find there is around too many users with this issue....

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Lumia-1520-bright-spot-on-screen/td-p/2563346
http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Lumia-1520-Vibrator-damaging-LCD/td-p/2411438
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7q01yHz6qA

Sri Krishna

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys,

I have been having problems with my camera after the latest update ( 2nd update for 8.1). The pictures come out very small, less than 40KBs. I have tried camera settings but to no avail. Anyone having the similar problem and any fixes for this?

Thanking everyone in advance.

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site

Hi Guys...
Tonite, just about an hour/2 hours ago.... My 1520 camera gives me blank screen after successfully take one picture.
I tried everything from reinstalled nokia camera, soft reset, reset camera, and camera still gives me blank screen everytime I execute it from any apps. I'm not trying Hard reset yet... What do you think guys?
Please Help, anyone?

EDIT: I am doing Reset Phone via phone setting now. *fingercrossed*

UPDATE2:
Reset Phone is not working. I installed Nokia Camera over Nokia Pro Camera. But, still...BLANK!
I am now using Recovery Tool from Nokia. Finished the steps. Check Camera. Still.... BLANK!!
This is serious!

I also post a thread for it for a better details/update on this (to reproduce the error maybe, if you dare):

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/288553-help-lumia-1520-camera-not-working-blank-screen.html

Last edited:

dubr

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

How did you go? Still happening?

What about using the window camera instead of Nokia? Does it go blank there?

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site

How did you go? Still happening?

What about using the window camera instead of Nokia? Does it go blank there?

Whatever the App I used, It just blank. Nokia Camera, Native WP Camera, Camera 360, etc. Same. Blank.
Yesterday I desperately went to NCC. They said they will try with the software first then proceed to hardware service/investigation if it wasnt software related.

wish me luck

rndmhero

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

We have a separate thread for the issue, but this one seems to be more active.

Running the 8.1 dev build, my 1520 freezes daily. This typically happens when it has been on charging overnight. I can unlock it, but when I try to open IE, check the notification hub, etc, the phone locks up and I have to soft reset it. This happens daily, and I have been unable to find a fix. I have tried uninstalling Touch and Glance (which some folks had suggested) and have done a full factory reset with reinstall to no avail.

I would desperately love to hear any thoughts people have, as this is really killing my ability to use this phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen