Lumia 640, 1 year later: Are you still using it?

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi Werentuckl. True, simply comparing both phones' hardware would be misleading. But taking into account the operating system and the software running on it in, I have to say, that for me Windows 10 annihilated most of the advantages Windows 8.1 had over Android without offering true advantages. The dreary situation concerning model variety makes it even worse - basic water and dust resistance at least for me is obligatory.

Aside from bad design decisions and worse energy efficiency in Windows 10, security is an important topic. Samsung is not that bad in releasing security updates.
The S5 Neo has received 6 security updates since release midyear 2015, not bad IMO. My current patchlevel is June 2016. Of course, since then new security flaws were published, which is absolutely in line with what you have to expect from software. Except for stagefright last year IIRC, every sec flaw to become a problem, the user had to have activated software installation from sources other than the play store.

BTW I remember IE on Win 8.1 for phones being affected by a security flaw not being fixed by Microsoft until Win 10 came around. :)

I'm keeping an eye on Win for phones (or whatever they use to call it atm), but in my opinion it will take years to become a serious option again, if ever. I really wish Microsoft to succeed, because I want the platform I currently use to be literally hunted by the competition - for the good of us customers.

Except for that giant gaping security risk that affects 80% of all Android phones without the user having to download a single thing, you mean?

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Well written to lay out your thoughts QBrick. Though this is what makes me kind of sad. Everyone wants to leave the platform and look on in from the outside. And expect others to stay in and make it better for them - when they themselves arent willing to themself. When everyone is leaving the platform, thinking the same thing, in an already small userbase, who is going to be left to make the platform survive. Its not like we have Android or iOS numbers that a few million, or dozens of million, people jumping ship to come back and see later wont make a difference. This is exactly what happened to BB. With all those people saying hmm... its not up to par just yet. So we'll see how it goes for a couple of years. And then try it out again. Surprise! There isnt any more BB or their platform after a couple years. They're another Android OEM now. Because everyone jumped ship. And now everyone bemoans BB10's loss. And how there favorite platform is gone because BB didnt decide to keep supporting their favorite platform. And bailed on them for Android. Ironic. Right. This isnt anything on you ofcourse, just a general sentiment I get from everyone. And that ticks to my head every now and then.

And Rumored, this one is for you matey. So this is a good five or six or so years. Almost half a decade. Anyways. So I was in NY. After a good ten years or so. And the last time I'd been there was before 9/11. And the WTC was still there. So everything was all new and alien to me. And its my third or second day or so in the city. And I'm commuting over the Amtrak, all the way from far off in the woods of NJ to Manhattan. Sister was moving into her dorms and I'm helping her. Anyways, so we get to the LaGuardia's stop. And from then there to Penn Station eventually. Manhattan. And I'm getting on the subway, and there's this gaggle of girls, standing right infront of me. And I can see they're evidently lost. First time in the Big Apple and all. All foreign, the poor souls. And they keep talking to each other in German. Looking at the signage, pointing at the list of stops. And asking each other. And they have an indian friend with them, she's trying real hard to explain directions all the way to them. Now this is only my second day in the city again, after a whole decade. And I'm obviously not equipped to handle this. But I put on a brave face anyways. And I go up to them and I'm asking, if they're lost. And they all turn to me, looking evidently relieved. So turns out, there's a couple of dutch girls in there. A german. A Finn. And a French. And they tell me in their cute accented English, that they're trying to get from LaGuardia to the JFK. But now they're kind of lost. They dont have a hotel. And their flight back to the EU is in a good six and a half or so hours. And they dont know how to get to JFK straight. They dont want to pay for a hotel just to put their things down for an hour. And no rest. And they dont know the city either. So they cant even kill time, the three hours in between. And not get lost. Turns out they had all flown out to Mexico, somewhere, for social work for year odd. Europeans. I tell you. and were flying back through the US. Seeing bits and pieces of it. Just like that, for the kicks.

Anyways, so unthinking person that I am. I tell them my morning is free. And I'd be glad to tour them around the city for a while. And send them away, make sure they got to JFK on time. And all the frowns turn kind of uppity into smiles. In my head I'm like. Oh poop. Now what are you going to do. O_O But I keep the charm on, and the good face. And the Indian girl, generously endowed, I tell you. Looks relieved. And takes their leave from them because she has her grad classes or something. And moves in for a hug. I'm kind of confused here. Because usually Indians dont try and give me a hug. Most day of the week. But I oblige anyways. The hug is suspiciously long, and she mentions something about getting done with classes later. But I'm not in it for her phone number or any action, some such thing. So we end it at polite thank yous and good byes. I now kind of have slight, not so slight, regrets about not taking her up now. She was a little older than me too. And who doesnt fancy an older woman. O_O :3

Anyways... way to get side tracked. So I take the young ladies. I had a couple of friends in Finland, I'd been to Amsterdam and Rotterdam a few years ago, so we make half decent conversation about the places we've traveled. I know some of the cities they're from, I've been to others. They've been in others. And all that stuff. We get comfortable around each other, so they ask me what they can do in a couple of hours. I tell them that there isnt much except for food. Since museums, theaters, places all take time getting to and seeing around. Which we didnt have. And they say they dont want food. Since they're already stuffed from before. And agree to not being able to see museums and theaters. Because no time. And no money. I secretly breathe a sigh of relief. I had no idea where any of those things were except for a few museums. So I would have felt like a potato had they asked me to take them out anyplace like that.

So I talk to them in the few Finnish, Dutch/German, French words I know. We all find it funny, have a good laugh, and agree that we should just walk around and see things. Relief. So I take them to all the touristy places in Midtown. Show them Times Square, they take a few pictures. Get them to do touristy stuff, get the Finn girl something touristy too. She gets all shy about it. I'm enjoying this. I walk them around, show them the big Fashion Schools, a couple of museums. NYU. I take them to the Fashion Avenue. Wall Street. Show them the plaques, and the little stars. Trump's there too btw. Not that that mattered back then. And they seemed to enjoy themselves and all. I talk to them about architecture, point out the post war buildings, the pre war buildings. The landmarks. They have a fun time. Show them Madison Square. Bryant Park. A good time was had by all. :)

A couple of hours of sight seeing and playing tourist guide, its time to go head back. We talk about their work. How their experience has been so far. I get on the subway with them. I'm getting along swimmingly with that one Finn girl... But we decide to leave it at that too. Some things are better left like that. That odd encounter. One off. With a stranger. You'll never meet again. And maybe, just maybe. Half a decade or so later. You'll recount that story to someone. Tell them how you regret not making more out of it. But it was perfect just the way it was. Then. :)

I ride the subway with them for a little bit. Explain to them how the subway system works. Tell them how to get to the JFK. AirTrain and all. And they seem delighted to have had a tour of most of what makes NYC New York City. In just a little while. Have an experience to take with them, when they were really just playing transit. And have had a decent while of it. And getting to JFK on time. Without getting lost. They all thank me. I'm showered with hugs. Feels nice. :p And we're all on our way.

I get to my sister, with her suitcase I was lugging around the whole of that while, three hours late. She's a little mad at me. Until I tell her I just showed these stunning girls around all of Manhattan - as much as you can in three hours anyways - on my second day in a city I havent been to in a decade. We all have a good laugh around. And the day goes on. ^_^ :)

And here's your story as per request Rumored. :) This was a good half a decade or so ago though. I was a little younger. A little less bearded. A freer spirit. And a lot less intimidating. Now people just see me. And clear space around me. So no such adventures for me anymore. And the world just keeps getting narrower and narrower. We're all just in it to only see whats exactly down our own noses. Never beyond. And never outside our own comfort zone. Or beyond what our perceived world views dictate. I cant remember the number of times Ive been sitting on the subway, and people have just refused to sit next. Because... And I've gotten up, to leave both places empty. Only to have them look at me embarrassed. And take the empty seats. Now that I'm not sitting there anymore. World just keeps getting worse and worse. And we're all making it it. :/

-- W

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Welps, I just posted a long winded story for you just now RumoredNow, because... well. Who doesnt like to tell a good story! ^_^ :D But it got flagged down for moderator approval. :p I think it was too long a post. They prolly thought I was spamming for telemarketer lingerie ads or some such ting. :p :D

-- W

Last edited:

qbrick

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Though this is what makes me kind of sad. Everyone wants to leave the platform and look on in from the outside. And expect others to stay in and make it better for them - when they themselves arent willing to themself. When everyone is leaving the platform, thinking the same thing, in an already small userbase, who is going to be left to make the platform survive.
That's why in discussions like this I always feel a kind of gratitude towards those people who still have faith in the appeal of the platform and more important the company behind it.
For me the underlying reason for abandoning Windows for phones was the loss of faith in the latter.

BTW nice NY story btw. If I've ever make it back there, I hope to bump into you so you can take me around a bit. Well at least, if you don't mind the company of a German grumpy atheist metalhead who looks equally intimidating. :)

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, I dont have a lot of faith. I just take it as it is. And sit out to see how its going to turn out. If it turns out, well, there couldnt be anything better than that. If it doesnt. Well... :/ Just putting my money where my mouth is, into change. And the ethics of it, and living with those consequences. Its the last alternate option/choice left to us. Now that BB10 is slowly winding down. Symbian went belly up with Elop. WebOS is long dead. And thats about it now. Before long, Apple will be the most ethical choice left to anyone on a mobile platform. Ironically, all of those platforms were at the same place as we are at. At some point towards the end of their lives. I was going through a google press release the other day. And it mentioned iOS and Android being the only two mobile OSes. Made me smile. The only thing we have going for us is MS's money and resources. And that once upon a time penchant of MS to keep plugging at loss leaders until they become something more. But its Nadella at the helm now. Not a Ballmer. Now I sometimes wish Ballmer had had another year or more to try and run things around. But eh. Whats water under the bridge is water under the bridge now. Too late for that now. Or we'd still have had WebOS. And Symbian around. And BB10 would make a comeback. :)

Also, hey! I'm always open to taking you around NY QBrick. If I'm there. And 'Grumpy Atheist MetalHead Germans' are my favorite too! ^_^ I love meeting people! :D Also, I'm a big proponent of walking. Just warning you where its due friend. Sure you wont let your grumpy get in the way of that? :p ^_^

-- W

TwoBitWhackJob

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I stalked WalMart for Days looking for it. Finally got it on Release day. I had a Lumia 810 before that and HTC Touch w/ WP6 before that. And I got rid of it last week for a Moto G4. The OS is clearly the best, but the App Gap finally got too large for me when Amazon killed their app, not to mention T-Mo OTA update to Win10 never came. After they left my 810 stranded w/o the 8.1 update.

The podcast app was buggy, the music app didn't always load. and something was preventing websites from loading correctly. The case had cracked and the battery was going. I needed a new device, and there just weren't any WP phones that fit that mid-range and I felt would give me the experience I wanted. In the end, I decided my interaction with the apps were more important than my interaction with the OS.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I needed a new device, and there just weren't any WP phones that fit that mid-range and I felt would give me the experience I wanted..

This is the thing that I have problems with. There are just next to no options. You have the flagship 950s with the flagship price tag and pretty much only one other option, the 640 line. I think the XL is too large. Now there is the 650, but with specs that are simply not overwhelming. That's it.

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I think im at a state were i can support M only by getting their budget phone like 640!

Anything more doesnt meet my value for money standards! They dont have the uniquene they had with 1520, 930 etc in win8.1 time now!
Hope surface phone & RS2 give soemthign to look forward too!

I reallly like 8.1 and the approach it took, while 10 i good over 8.1 in way to me the whole ui trying to be a lesser o like android is a bit of let down, i mean the HAMBUGGAAR ... when literallly gooogle is moving to elipe from windwo 8.1 in all it apps and OS!

MS is like this insecure kid who does great stuff but then demolishes it because he doesnt get instant gratification! AND sees other kids and tries to be them when he should be just him! Plus nuttella is a cost cutting budget guy not a visionary!

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Bought my 640 only 6 months ago but I'll chime in anyway.
Running it on 14905 with nary a problem. It's a back-up phone so not used frequently, but when I break it out, it performs admirably.
A little workhorse for sure.
$39.50 for the phone, glass screen protector and case. This is an insanely good phone for that price. Nothing in that price range can touch it,
Got an almost mint 1520 about 2 months ago at a criminally low price from a friend who disliked the size and was not crazy about Windows OS. Use it almost daily running on 10586.
Inherited a Note 5 from my daughter that is used as a work phone, since my job utilizes android.
Have to say I love big screen phones. It's amazing to me how the 1520 is still a beast, even compared to the Note 5. Nokia outdid itself with the 1520.
Anyway...is the 640 still alive and well? absolutely!

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Love it and Thanks for the link!

You're welcome. It was on my 640 GoPhone and I just got used to it. Now it's a must have. I can't stand a ringtone that gets me all riled up because it is too jarring.

The only problem with "That Girl From Copenhagen" is that I'd rather hear that than answer the call and cut it short. :winktongue:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Interesting answers everyone. I find it fascinating that some of you still have it as a daily driver, a good amount has it as a backup phone, and another set of you had it, tried it and left it. I'm glad to see the discussion going on here. :)

I realized that I never answered my own questions:
-I bought mine in June 2015, I have memories of myself calling the different Walmarts to see if they had one and I drove 45 minutes to get mine.
-It's my backup, occasionally have the crazy idea to use it as a daily driver.
-It went from my daily driver to second fiddle, or even third fiddle half of the time because I'm a chronic switcher.

TwoBitWhackJob

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I should say my wife is still perfectly happy with her 640, but she asks far less out of her phone than I do. She calls and texts, plays chess, and has maybe 5 apps she uses. I expect her to keep it for another year, maybe 2.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I should say my wife is still perfectly happy with her 640, but she asks far less out of her phone than I do. She calls and texts, plays chess, and has maybe 5 apps she uses. I expect her to keep it for another year, maybe 2.
For users like your wife, windows phone devices are perfect. I unfortunately partially stick with android because I have numerous apps that I use and to date, 8 of them that I use frequently, or at least once a week, are not available on Windows store. Only two of those offer decent web interfaces and the rest have none or limited functions through a browser. There are a few more that the Android version offers much better and broader functionality. Hoping this gap will close soon as I like the W10M look and feel.

I do use the phone at least. It does great for music, Netflix, educational games for my son, and various other little functions. While not quite as good as my Garmin GPS device, the L640 has proven itself more than once to be a very capable replacement. It saves battery on my other phone and I just happen to own a 5V 750mah output car charger.

Last edited:

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
When they became available for $30 I bought 4 for my family of 5 minus my daughter who saved up to buy a used iPhone 6 which then stopped working (outside of warranty of course). All phones were modified to use tmobile ROM since we are on tmobile. My wife still uses hers with 8.1. I was on slow ring and then switched to Release Preview. I updated my oldest son to Release Preview this past week since I'm guessing tmobile will never get around to making win10 available. My other son switched to an iPhone 6se after my daughter had issues with her first 6. Tmobile offered BOGO so the two of them split the cost of "one" phone so that they could each get one. Allowing my daughter to use babysitting money for another phone was tough since I want her to learn the importance of saving but being without her phone was a social disaster and I caved only because of the BOGO deal.

TwoBitWhackJob

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I have numerous apps that I use and to date, 8 of them that I use frequently, or at least once a week, are not available on Windows store.

One of my primary apps was Twitter. It hadn't been updated since quoting tweets was introduced. I had used tweetium, but even it stopped updating the 8.1 version of the app to the point where conversations didn't work. Apps and smartphones are supposed to help us solve problems, I was having to try and figure out ways to solve my problems for the phone. Which is the reverse of how things should work.

lukasz_czaja

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I actually got my lumia 640 just when it came out for around 600PLN, which would be like 150$. I can't believe in what I'm reading here. Those 8$ ones were bought during BF?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I actually got my lumia 640 just when it came out for around 600PLN, which would be like 150$. I can't believe in what I'm reading here. Those 8$ ones were bought during BF?

Yeah, in America, carrier locked phones can be sold for a reduced price, since it carries the carrier's name.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos