Lumia 640 Bugs & Defects

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
re: Lumia 640 Bugs & Defects

Since the last update which was about two days ago, win 8.1, my Lumia 640 can't charge it self to 100%, no matter how long I leave it to charge it still wouldn't reach max. Which is 100%. Of course this was not the case before I updated to the last version. Any help, suggestions?

vrlny

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Lumia Camera shows error message "Something went wrong".

The fix for me was this:

1. Uninstall camera
2. Soft reset
3. Reinstall camera.

Now it works.

I don't know if it's hardware or software related, or perhaps a conflict with another app that uses the camera.

If it happens again, I'll disallow the other apps that use the camera, one-by-one, to see if I can find a conflict, starting with the two that aren't Microsoft apps (Ghost Camera and Flashlight XT) and then the Microsoft apps (Lumia Selfie and Microsoft Pocket Magnifier).

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Since the last update which was about two days ago, win 8.1, my Lumia 640 can't charge it self to 100%, no matter how long I leave it to charge it still wouldn't reach max. Which is 100%. Of course this was not the case before I updated to the last version. Any help, suggestions?

First sugestion is reset device, as usual.
Boot it up and manual reinstall everything.

But if you did that aready, why not try to re-calibrate battery?
-Let your battery die.
-Try to turn it on, if you succed, let it die again untill you are not able to boot it up.
-Charge device in airplane mode to 100% and let it sit on charger for hour more.
-Repeat 3 times.

You ,,technicly" should fix the problem, if not..then use other methods like recovery..and at last warranty.
Ps. Or just ignore and charge it to 95% :smile:

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

So last night I was keen to charge it to 100%, and I decided to leave it there as long as it takes. I was stunned when I saw it took about 20 minutes to charge that last 1%, that's sick. I'll try to recalibrate it tonight since I don't wanna boot and loose all of my data.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

@Rose640
Cool! Then just drain battery till phone is dead and charge to 100% 2-3 times and after that you are set to go.
Normaly, when you finish the procedure charge your phone as allways, when reach around 30% to 95ish% (optimal way to charge it, try it)
Have fun!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Well now I'm just pissed off. This last update totally ****ed up my phone, if they're gonna release an update they should make sure its not buggy. When I say it ****ed ip my phone, I mean it. Let's go by order:

Firstly after the update battery drain is no longer torelable, and besides that it takes 20 minutes to charge to 100% from 99%.

Second, swiping between the start screen and the apps screen is so painful now.
It's so unresponsive and slow, sometimes the animation itself freezes.

Further, IE has become almost unusable, for its own god knows what reason it blinks when opening new pages and crashes are very common.

And the most important thing that made me write this is camera crash, or whatever it is. Neither rear or front facing camera worked, that is all those 'buttons' where grey and unresponsive, oh, and also I got 'Something went wrong' message. At that point I almost cracked the screen. In performed a soft reset and it was back to normal, for now.

Lets make this clear, I'm still im loved with my 640 but man this MS behaving pisses me off, those idiotic bugs are ruining one heck of an experience.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Hey, hey..mrs(mr?) Rose640 please keep calm. There is solution for everything.
Firstly, back up everything, then hard reset your phone and start over. Why?
After updating to new firmware or new os cache and files from ,,old'' versions can and will stay in your phone..and do harm like you mantion before.
There is a golden rule: After update, reset is must (in 85% atleast)!
Try that, hope your problems will be solved, and i highly doubt they won't.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Ma musko je burazeru, tripujem se na Axl Rosea

I have performed the soft reset, everything seems to back the way it was, hopefully this won't happen that often, since I know it inevitable.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

The T-Mobile 640 I have just freaked out.
Took it from my pocket and the screen was on yet nothing was displayed.
On/Off key was a no go.
V- and power button no go.
Plugging into a charger was also a no go.

I removed the battery,SIM and uSD then replaced them.
The phone did come back after this.
I haven't updated or installed any previews with this phone.
Could have been a glitchy uSD (Brand new SanDisk 128GB)

Not a good sign.
I don't trust the phone now...
:unhappysweat:

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Well considering the fact that the later versions if the 640 are not safe to upgrade to win10 preview, I guess they have some kind if a software bug, which I personally think is a somehow positive fact. Why? Well, I guess the software malfunction is much better than the hardware cause it can be fixed with a simple update rather than taking a phone to a store and have it fixed there. As you may have seen I had some camera, battery issues which all came after the latest 8.1 update which may be same in you case. So, don't loose hope yet for it may be just a idiotic software bug.

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site

I have the default cyan as accent color. But one day when I opened my phone the color had mystically changed to green or whatever color it was. Definitely not the cyan. I went to settings to change the color back to cyan but there was no cyan color at all available! It was missing. Fortunately this situation was easily fixed: Rebooted the phone and the cyan was back.

This happened again a few minutes ago. Restarted the phone and cyan was back.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

As you may have seen I had some camera, battery issues which all came after the latest 8.1 update which may be same in you case.

I've had no updates of any kind on this phone.

I'll most likely pass this phone down to my wife shortly.
She isn't a power user, and could use a phone upgrade from the L635.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

Once in a while, the cellular connection status (not data but the actual phone) seems to be off for a couple of seconds and then my 4-5 bars come back. I'm a bit afraid that it will happen while I,m talking.

I've tried manually selecting the network instead of Automatic but that didn't work.

Also, is LTE band compatibility software or hardware related? The compatibility are different between MetroPCS and T-Mobile and the latter is the only one compatible with my carrier. So not I'm stuck with only 4G (which isn't so bad). But can a T-Mobile version be flashed and if so would that solved my LTE problem?

Thanks

I have this problem with my 640 XL Dual Sim LTE as well. Here's how I solved it: manually enter your internet apn for your sim(s) and connect to data with the affected sim(s). Disconnect and the issue should resolve itself. Yes, I fully understand the issue is not with your data connection, but with your 'voice' connection. Regardless, it seems to resolve the issue. Mine was constantly switching networks for some reason, going between 4G, H and E. Very annoying. I haven't had it disconnect during a call, either way.

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I recently just got the unlocked L640 Dual Sim and comparing it to my t-mobile L635, noticed the following:

1. The back cover of 640 around the holes (micro USB, headphone jack and speaker) are not rounded off like L635 and have rough edges (to save manufacturing costs?)! For the speaker hole this could explain the sound suppressed base issue. L635 speaker sound is louder and more defined and you can hear the low frequencies better. Its hole is rounded off.

2. The speaker sounds are almost identical. However, the speaker hole location for 640 is more inward on the back cover and should have been more outward. Because when you place the phone face up on a smooth surface desk, like in your office, the sound coming out of the hole has a better chance of escaping (rebounding from the desk surface) if the hole was more toward the edge of the phone (long side or short side edges).

3. The vibrator motor on L640 disperse vibration inside the case and sometimes it is hard to hear the vibration if you are not in contact with phone. The L635 on the other hand gives you a focused vibration and therefore an effective way of alertness.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Every morning after my phone is fully charged and I remove it from the charger, I slide up my lock screen, enter my password, and my phone freezes. I have to restart my phone to make it work. In addition to that, it sometimes still shows it charging even though it's no longer on the charger. I've had this phone for only two weeks and have had to do tons of soft resets already. I've even had it show a complete white screen once. Of course this all happens when I can no longer return or exchange the phone to the store, but I'm not convinced that a new phone will help. Might just be a crappy model. Don't know.
Have you tried looking into the Microsoft warranty? Your model might be faulty.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

My T-Mo 640 started shooting pictures in landscape when held in portrait and vice versa.
The pics were also upside down when viewed in the hub.

I guess this thing needs soft resets regularly to keep it from misbehaving.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

My T-Mo 640 started shooting pictures in landscape when held in portrait and vice versa.
The pics were also upside down when viewed in the hub.

I guess this thing needs soft resets regularly to keep it from misbehaving.

Same thing here with mine 640. I soft reset it like every 3-4 days due to some glitches and system malfunctioning

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site

Got one from walmart on friday, 2 dead pixels in the middle of the screen, Exchanged it today and this one has a stuck pixel. Hoping 3rd time is the charm. Love the phone otherwise.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

The compass (magnetometer) on the 640 I have has become difficult to calibrate.
Initially the compass re-calibrated easily.
Not so easy as of late.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap