Lumia 640 running W10 not recognized by PC via USB?

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 640 running W10 not recognized by PC via USB

Ever since I upgraded my Lumia 640 to Win10, it has not been properly recognized by my PC (Windows 7 Home 64 bit) via USB. I have to try to manually install the driver for MTP USB Device which succeeds in about 1 case out of 10. When it succeeds, the "MTB USB Device" title changes to "Lumia 640" and then I can see my files and folders on my phone as well as on the SD Card. (I put this same question on Microsoft's answer site but I got no useful tip.)

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 640 running W10 not recognized by PC via USB

If you search these forums it is quite a common problem.
Can I ask what build version you are running on your phone?

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
It seems nobody cares about this problem. So you have a telephone that has a Microsoft logo on it and cannot connect to a Microsoft Windows system. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It seems nobody cares about this problem. So you have a telephone that has a Microsoft logo on it and cannot connect to a Microsoft Windows system. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.
To be fair, your thread has a "Best Answer" already chosen. Some people just glancing in may see that and assume your problem has been resolved.

Did this happen when you tried interop/FS access? (I had this happen while rooting my device)

I did a combination of a number of things:
1) Unplug the device, go into your device manager (in the search box of your Windows 10 pc, type "Device Manager")
2) In the top panel, click "View" -> Select show hidden devices
3) Click > beside "Portable Devices," if you see MTB USB, right click & uninstall
4) Do the same for "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and "Universal Serial bus devices"

Reboot your PC.
Startup, see if it works.

If it doesn't, don't be surprised.. mine randomly started working after repeating steps I'd done 10 times before..

If the MTB issue returned, follow those steps again - except this time, shut down the PC and plug in the device. Once plugged in (and the device is on), start the PC like normal.

If this fails, repeat the above steps, except TURN OFF the phone before you plug it into the PC - turn the PC back on; once on, turn the phone on.

If still no luck, repeat, repeat, repeat. I have no explanation as to why mine decided to play nice after repeating the same steps many times before!

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It is, but in my experience it isn't something that happens "on it's own," it's more of an operator error.
Unless of course, you weren't trying to root it. Then, this behavior defies explanation.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site

I find that sometimes you have to wait a bit for it to be recognized. You could also try opening the phone companion app or however it's calles and wait for it to recognize your phone.

I haven't had problems with my 640.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site

Also you posted at 2AM in my timezone and then at 6am were complaining nobody cares...

Different timezone or not, have a bit of patience. And remember the people who post here usually aren't microsoft employees but users like you.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I was not trying to root it all the less as I don't know what "to root" means in this context.
Did this happen after a recent update?

Like daimv stated, sometimes it can take a moment before it's recognized? (lots of files for the USB to page through = leave it plugged in and have longer patience before expecting it to show up as navigable media)

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

Also you posted at 2AM in my timezone and then at 6am were complaining nobody cares...

Different timezone or not, have a bit of patience. And remember the people who post here usually aren't microsoft employees but users like you.

No, I posted this issue 4 months ago now.

mxyztplk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
thron: Thank you for the instructions. I did not know there were problems in this area until I saw this thread.

When I saw it, I decided to try connecting my Lumia 640 LTE, which I had updated to Windows 10 months ago, to my Windows 10 AU system. This had earlier worked with the 640 on Windows Phone 8.1, with a Windows 8.1 PC, but I had no occasion to connect the 640 to a PC since then.

When I connected it, the Lumia 640 LTE alternately appeared and disappeared from the list of devices under "Computer." Further, within Device Manager, the 640 LTE alternated from being reported as "working properly" to not being so. This alternation of state occurred over matters of seconds. Further, this occurred in both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports.

I disconnected the 640 and uninstalled all hidden devices for it from within Device Manager, as you recommended in your post, and then rebooted.

After reboot, I reconnected the 640. When connected to a USB 3.0 port, it was then recognized solidly. However, when connected to a USB 2.0 port, it was still not recognized solidly; i.e., it sometimes disappeared and then reappeared a few seconds later.

I also connected the 640 to a USB 2.0 port on a Windows 7 system. [I had not connected it before to that computer.] The 640 was solidly recognized.

Hopefully, what appears to be driver problems will eventually get sorted out. In the meantime, I will only use a USB 3.0 port if I wish to access the 640 from my Windows 10 AU system. Or, alternatively, I can access the 640 from a USB 2.0 port on the Windows 7 system.

(I also notice that, on the Windows 10 AU system, if I minimize the Explorer window showing the phone, it pops up after a short while. This indicates to me that it is likely that some event has occurred, even when the 640 is connected to a USB 3.0 port.)

All of this apparently points to driver problems, although it is not clear which driver is flaky.

If uninstalling the drivers does not solve the problem for the OP, as a temporary workaround I would recommend trying different USB ports and/or different PC systems.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium