Lumia 920 is missing 'contacts+message backup' app in Settings

FXQA

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
My Nokia lumia 920 is running Windows 8.1 and is up to date (I did run 'check for updates').

However, the 'contacts+message backup' app is missing from Settings.
I looked carefully in Settings, it's not there, not sure why.
Maybe an accidental deletion from the App menu?

Just to be sure I did a soft reset and checked again. No luck.

Without it, I cannot save and transfer my text msgs to a new phone.

When I log into my Microsoft account on the web store, it shows that I already "own" the app (whatever this means)!

I cannot download it from the store app as it appears closed at this time.

So that's where I stand as of time.
Anyone knows why the app is missing or where I could download and install from?
Help is very appreciated.

Thanks, gracias, merci, cpaciba, arigato, cam o?n!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
My Nokia lumia 920 is running Windows 8.1 and is up to date (I did run 'check for updates').

However, the 'contacts+message backup' app is missing from Settings.
I looked carefully in Settings, it's not there, not sure why.
Maybe an accidental deletion from the App menu?

Just to be sure I did a soft reset and checked again. No luck.

Without it, I cannot save and transfer my text msgs to a new phone.

When I log into my Microsoft account on the web store, it shows that I already "own" the app (whatever this means)!

I cannot download it from the store app as it appears closed at this time.

So that's where I stand as of time.
Anyone knows why the app is missing or where I could download and install from?
Help is very appreciated.

Thanks, gracias, merci, cpaciba, arigato, cam o?n!

Have a look under "extras" in settings it might be under there.

Have you tried the transfer my data app?

FXQA

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi TechFreak1, first thanks a lot for your reply and my apologies for this late reply. I stopped working shortly after, started to look for work and then the crisis came and this issue slipped off my radar.

I did look in the extras. Nothing there except for all the versions #s of firmware, app, and builds.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi TechFreak1, first thanks a lot for your reply and my apologies for this late reply. I stopped working shortly after, started to look for work and then the crisis came and this issue slipped off my radar.

I did look in the extras. Nothing there except for all the versions #s of firmware, app, and builds.

My apologies for the late reply, have been fairly busy myself.

Try this www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/contacts-message-backup/9nblgggz57gm?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

FXQA

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Thank you, I tried it and the page shows again that I already own the app despite not being able to find it on my phone.

Based on my online research, I think unless Microsoft reopens the download store on the phone so I can download the app, it will be beyond hope at this time.
I appreciate your help though.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, I tried it and the page shows again that I already own the app despite not being able to find it on my phone.

Based on my online research, I think unless Microsoft reopens the download store on the phone so I can download the app, it will be beyond hope at this time.
I appreciate your help though.

Ah, that's a pity was hoping maybe the link would allow you to the launch the app.

Given Microsoft shelved the Wp 8.x store I don't think it will be any time soon. The only other option is risky as it requires jailbreaking using Wpinternals.

Sorry wasn't much help, good luck.