Lumia 930 Windows 10 Update

DeNeDe

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I use Nokia/Microsoft phones for their camera. I didn't gave 2 cents about Windows Phone in version 8.1
Everything was working at normal parameters...but since i updated to Windows 10 a couple of days ago it has been such a train-wreck

1. Mics aren't working [global issue for all, factory broken]
2. Proximity sensor is malfunctioning [i think global issue for all, factory broken]
3. Pictures that were done on Win8.1 aren't recognized on Win10M. [when connecting the phone to the pc i can't see the thumbnails of the ones done on 8.1, but i can see the ones done on Win10M]
4. I take pictures with DNG format also. When deleting the pictures from the phone the DNG isn't deleted.On Win8.1 i didn't had this issue.
5. I don't want to be forced to go on Android because none of their phone are good on the camera departament. Even the S7 is behind 950XL at photos/videos. But all the problems above with the OS and everything are so bull****ing...:cry:
6. And yeah i'm considerating going for 950XL but i'm worried it will also be factory broken :confused:

Nokia930usr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
A hard reset didn't fix any of those problems for me . Its just useless software/firmware combination afaik . I have all those problems and screen flickering . Never had any screen flickering or broken mic software with 8.1 . I could never recommend W10 for a 930 in the state it is in atm .

DeNeDe

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
A hard reset didn't fix any of those problems for me . Its just useless software/firmware combination afaik . I have all those problems and screen flickering . Never had any screen flickering or broken mic software with 8.1 . I could never recommend W10 for a 930 in the state it is in atm .
I agree. it is just so damn broken. :| But i kinda got used with the damn new store and ****, but can't simply use the phone with Win10M.. :(
I will go in the Windows Insider Program and see if some new updates gonna fix it,[i mean they cant broke it even more] if not, gonna hard reset it or do something about...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes it might be that you guys need firmware, but wow these issues are severe. Which build are you guys on?

DeNeDe

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Just updated my phone to a build I found in the Windows Insider Program.

It made things even worse so i hard reseted the device but it booted up on the same build. I thought it was going to go on the factory reset windows 8.1 OS

edit: Just realised that when i record videos(4K) i can also get the audio.. huuuray.. so the mics aren't dead[hardware issue] but the OS/apps are broken..

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol like i said.. It probably isn't down to the hardware unless you dropped your phone :p

Doing a hard reset will keep you on the same build you had before performing the reset. If you want to downgrade you need to use the windows devices recovery tool: FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

From the looks of it the latest RS builds are mostly optimized for phones that shipped with w10m, but that is just speculation from my end

DeNeDe

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Proximity sensor is still malfunctioning. A hard press on it will make it work for a few secs..
Yeah, on the recovery tool it says the Current device/Current Server firmware. The one from the server is version 9xxx
Also it will be so troublesome that after build/firmware update we would need to hard reset the device to make it work properly. :|

Last edited:

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Proximity sensor isn't malfunctioning. It's the fault of screen lift. That's why pressing on the screen seems to fix the issue temporary for you. What's actually happening is this:
Your screen is connected to the frame of 930 with adhesive tape. 930's cpu is on the bottom right, it heats up during regular use, adhesion between screen and tape weakens over time. That causes the screen to lift. Little by little and eventually adhesion on the entire right side of the screen is weakened. As result screen also lifts above the proximity sensor. This causes the sensor to activate, that's why doubletap to wake stops working - phone thinks that it's still in your pocket and prevents screen from activating. That's why some people have issues with screen off during calls.
Compare left side of the phone with right side. Left side should be flush with frame of the device, right side is possibly sticking out by less than 1mm (maybe more). If it's like that on the top edge (over the proximity sensor) then it's exactly as I described.

It can be solved by:
a) re-calibrating the proximity sensor - workaround, won't solve the issue forever
b) warranty repair, replacing adhesive (possibly replacing entire screen) - claim bad assembly and proximity sensor issues, don't claim software issues. Why? They might try to pass off issues such as double tap to wake not working as you simply not enabling the function in system settings. Also, adhesive might catch on again and trick them into thinking that everything is working fine. Be sure to take detailed photos of your device, it will be easier for you to prove your point.

As for hardreset. Just make a backup on W10M, delete backups created in 8.1. Then you just have to restore your backup created on W10M, no need for hardware reset.

Lol like i said.. It probably isn't down to the hardware unless you dropped your phone :p

My phone was never dropped and it's suffering two hardware issues that were caused either by bad design or bad QC.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Just updated my phone to a build I found in the Windows Insider Program.

that's the train wreck right there mate- those are preview builds, i wont be surprised if some day/builds in the future your device doesn't even wake up

bizarre yes it is , with these preview builds nothing is guaranteed, its a russian roulette that you are playing with your device . :)

DeNeDe

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
that's the train wreck right there mate- those are preview builds, i wont be surprised if some day/builds in the future your device doesn't even wake up

bizarre yes it is , with these preview builds nothing is guaranteed, its a russian roulette that you are playing with your device . :)
well without that preview build device was acting very strange; with it looks a bit more stable so i'm glad but not fully satisfied.

GEO147

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
What OS will the Windows Recovery Tool bring me back to. I'm on 14295 at the moment, does it bring you back to 8.1 or earlier Insider build?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It will bring you back to the latest that is available for your phone outside of the insider preview program.. Which should be 8.1

Gaurav Sag

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I would not agree with u
With Windows 10, you’ll likely be seeing more apps being added to the app store, because developers simply have to build one app for Windows 10 desktop for it work on smartphones and tablets, too. For example, Twitter just updated its app to support the latest version of the Windows 10 Mobile operating system. Many tech pundits view Twitter’s move as a positive sign for Windows phone users, who have often had limited app choices in the past.

DeNeDe

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Today a lot of apps updated for me on the latest insider build. My device runs even faster and smoother. No flickering detected so far.
My antutu scor jumped from 60220 to 61333

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h