Microsoft did not make this easy, but I finally got my Lumia 950 - Very Positve Impression

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So, to date here's all the Windows Phones I've gone through in order... and the reasons we didn't get along.
- Lumia 520 - Very stable, but 512MB and lack of FFC caused me to sell it
- Lumia 1020 - What bonehead allowed a camera-oriented phone to NOT have an SD card slot? This would still be my daily driver if it were expandable.
- Lumia Icon - Overheated like crazy, also didn't work well on AT&T - liked having a powerful non-phablet phone though
- Lumia 1520 - Tried to overcome the size... it's simply uncomfortable for me.
- Lumia 820 - This was actually surprisingly balanced. I stuck with this for a long time. Battery life was atrocious though.
- Lumia 830 - Expanded quite well upon the balance the 820 showed me, and with MUCH better battery life... but for some reason it handled games much worse than the 820 did.
- Yezz Billy 4.7 - This did one good thing - revealing just how thick and heavy all the other Windows Phones have been. It couldn't handle games and the camera was crap, but it was very smooth and light.
- Lumia 635 - Again a very stable, solid and long-lasting phone that just didn't bring enough power to the table.
- Lumia 930 - A lot more GSM-friendly than AT&T was, but still suffered from overheating - and coping with 32GB just doesn't work for me.
- Lumia 640 - A wonderful correction to the shortcomings of the Lumia 635... but again the SD400 just didn't handle games well.

If you're noticing a general theme here... it's that every one of these had something that just didn't satisfy me. Sometimes too weak, too large, crap battery life, dumb decisions in future-proofing, design flops... so many things that could've simply been resolved beforehand.

...then we have the Lumia 950. Great camera, large internal storage... they're actually not using the large internal storage as a reason not to let us expand, the screen is outstanding, it's powerful... and it's a regular-sized phone.

I think this is my perfect phone.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Lots of Lumia's you've had! The world tour I guess!

I've had the 900, 920 and the 1520. The 950 is my 4th and loving every moment so far. Sure a few things here and there, but nothing I can't get past!

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I apologize for being off topic OP, but you have a good history of Lumia phones. Got a quick question for you.

My brother has a 635 and I'm thinking of getting him a 640 for Christmas. He loves his phone right now and I'm just wondering if the 640 is worth upgrading to. He doesn't play games and has a history of losing/breaking phones so I figured for the sale price of $40, it might be a good option. What do you think, since you've had both?

By the way, congrats on the 950! I absolutely love mine, and I'm coming from android so it's a bit of a change lol. If they fix a lot of the software issues I think this could also be my perfect phone. Although I would love some front facing speakers, but that's just me being picky.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I apologize for being off topic OP, but you have a good history of Lumia phones. Got a quick question for you.

My brother has a 635 and I'm thinking of getting him a 640 for Christmas. He loves his phone right now and I'm just wondering if the 640 is worth upgrading to. He doesn't play games and has a history of losing/breaking phones so I figured for the sale price of $40, it might be a good option. What do you think, since you've had both?

By the way, congrats on the 950! I absolutely love mine, and I'm coming from android so it's a bit of a change lol. If they fix a lot of the software issues I think this could also be my perfect phone. Although I would love some front facing speakers, but that's just me being picky.

The 640 is definitely a upgrade. Between my two kids, they have a 635 and a 640. The 640 decimates the 635. Glance screen, front facing camera, double the RAM, a flash. For 40 bucks it's a steal. Also, a higher res screen.

Also as a new owner of the 950 (on topic) I absolutely love it.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Best Buy had $29.99 for 640 Go Phone, you might want to check if you are with AT&T. They had this price for 26-28 Nov I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria