Microsoft stopped WP8.1 Developer Preview update for all devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
This, exactly.

Changes to the Photo hub...changes to the awesome scrolling pictures reel.

Changes in the Phone app. Accidentally click on a name while scrolling through recent calls? You're calling them (removed the circled call icon to left). Click on the Contacts icon at the bottom? Well now it's a phonebook and you're calling them when you tap their name instead of looking something up (because heaven forbid a smartphone have multiple capabilities).

THE GOSHDANG MUSIC APP WTF IS THIS STUFF -- I MEAN SERIOUSLY? When we left WP7 behind we wanted gapless playback, maybe better podcast support? They've gone backwards ever since. Seriously backwards.

Games Hub. Not a hub anymore. Just junk.

Messaging. Not a hub anymore.

Me tile. No more integrated social functions. Could still break this stuff out into a Me system level app, updateable but not in your app list, keep up with API changes and the like. Instead I get to stare at the screen for 13 seconds while my 520 pounds away at the bloat of the FB app.

Background tasks. Where are they? Who the hell knows? Did the latest FB just re-enable background tasks for it? Well, it's not at the top anymore so let me scroll all over the place aaahhhh to hell with it. Used to be so easy. Tap, swipe, tap, looook for offenders. Why wasn't it just integrated into there?

The lag is amazing. I go back to the Start screen and it's like being on my old OG Droid and the days of launcher redraws while I wait for things to fill in again.

edit:

why did WP7 have Zune on the desktop with easy syncing support INCLUDING wifi and we have to use Win8 with the worst program ever designed while plugged in and multiple songs AND THROWS ALL THIS CRAP ACROSS THE ROOM :crying::eck::devil:

People Like you are the ones that should NOT install Unfinished developer software. If things aren't perfect, you cry about and throw a fit. Duuuhhh. This is NOT THE FINAL BUILD. If Microsoft isn't planning on changing Anything between now and actual release, why not just release it? it's final right? No. its not.
I wish Microsoft would have made people buy the $20 developer package to keep most people from installing it.
Who says half the things that are "missing" aren't being worked on right now and may be back in the FINAL CONSUMER RELEASE, NOT "BETA".
Wait til the OFFICIAL release or STOP CRYING ABOUT IT. geeez....
And, window 8 on the desktop is a MILLION times BETTER than windows 7. If you are getting multiple duplicate songs on your phone, you aren't doing it right.
I have sync 350 songs to my phone and it works perfectly. QQ :cry:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
People Like you are the ones that should NOT install Unfinished developer software. If things aren't perfect, you cry about and throw a fit. Duuuhhh. This is NOT THE FINAL BUILD. If Microsoft isn't planning on changing Anything between now and actual release, why not just release it? it's final right? No. its not.
I wish Microsoft would have made people buy the $20 developer package to keep most people from installing it.
Who says half the things that are "missing" aren't being worked on right now and may be back in the FINAL CONSUMER RELEASE, NOT "BETA".
Wait til the OFFICIAL release or STOP CRYING ABOUT IT. geeez....
And, window 8 on the desktop is a MILLION times BETTER than windows 7. If you are getting multiple duplicate songs on your phone, you aren't doing it right.
I have sync 350 songs to my phone and it works perfectly. QQ :cry:

You are right, I have had some problems but I did install 8.1 knowing that it could and most probably would have problems.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't list the problems they have but stop complaining about them. Go back to 8.0 if you can't deal with the problems.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've given up on hoping that people will understand this, but I commend you for soldiering on. I have no idea why people continue to believe that the Developer Preview is somehow a beta version, I just assume they refuse to accept reality at this point.
At this point, I no longer care about changing the minds of the masters of misinformation that insist this is a beta. I am now just trying to put the right information out there so that people new to the information are not misled.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You MUST differentiate between the core/system and the apps in the build, and the firmware update. You are missing a lot of things saying that, you are confusing people because that people are thinking that everything will be exactly the same at launch, and it is not true, the core OS will be the same (and really not, because we know that will be an update to the OS), but the apps and the firmware will be different, and some (or all?) bugs can be related to firmware or not updated apps.
I did.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-read-first-post-before-asking-questions.html
I'm not missing anything. I'm talking about the OS, in an OS discussion. Anyone who didn't read the above post or another explanation like it and still installed the preview is responsible for their own lack of knowledge. People are confused because people who don't know what they're talking about keep coming in and saying that this is a beta. I'm simply trying to prevent people from being misled by the spreaders of misinformation who continually and incorrectly insist that this is beta, or that it is not the "final" build, which is the same build that was released to manufacturers before it was released to us. The only reason for quotes around final is that no build is ever THE final build. There will always be yet another update coming (until EOL, of course).

Last edited:

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I did.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-read-first-post-before-asking-questions.html
I'm not missing anything. I'm talking about the OS, in an OS discussion. Anyone who didn't read the above post or another explanation like it and still installed the preview is responsible for their own lack of knowledge. People are confused because people who don't know what they're talking about keep coming in and saying that this is a beta. I'm simply trying to prevent people from being misled by the spreaders of misinformation who continually and incorrectly insist that this is beta, or that it is not the "final" build, which is the same build that was released to manufacturers before it was released to us. The only reason for quotes around final is that no build is ever THE final build. There will always be yet another update coming (until EOL, of course).

But it is not the final build, we know there will be at least a new build.

Sent from my RM-820_lta_lta1_272 using Tapatalk

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
But it is not the final build, we know there will be at least a new build.
We hope there will be a bug-fix. We do not know there will be. The release we are running is the same build that was already released to manufacturers. Just like with GDR3. And just like what happened with GDR3, there may be a small update that is pushed both to manufacturers and us, prior to or around the same time that carriers get the update. But what you are saying is fiction that you are making up. What I am saying is based in actual history, experience, and research.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
We hope there will be a bug-fix. We do not know there will be. The release we are running is the same build that was already released to manufacturers. Just like with GDR3. And just like what happened with GDR3, there may be a small update that is pushed both to manufacturers and us, prior to or around the same time that carriers get the update. But what you are saying is fiction that you are making up. What I am saying is based in actual history, experience, and research.

There will be a new build, it is on WPCentral as a news, can't remember if Joe Belfiore said on twitter.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is NOT THE FINAL BUILD.
FTFY

If Microsoft isn't planning on changing Anything between now and actual release, why not just release it?
They did. It's called RTM because they Released it To Manufacturing. The manufacturers now have the bits. They will use it for their firmware updates and testing to be sure that everything works in their phones, updating firmware and their own software as needed. Then carriers will get it. They will make whatever updates to their software that may be needed. They will test, and finally they will release to their customers - us. That's how it works. As far as Microsoft is concerned, the build that was sent to the manufacturers, the same build that we now have, is intended to be the final build, and that will only change if they need to put out bug fixes. Otherwise, it is finished.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There will be a new build, it is on WPCentral as a news, can't remember if Joe Belfiore said on twitter.
Link?
There will most likely be a small patch, just as there was with GDR3. Other than that, you are just plain wrong, and spreading misinformation. If a bug-fix is what you want to call a new build, fine. But when you call it a beta, you are spreading lies. The build we have is intended to be THE build.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Link?
There will most likely be a small patch, just as there was with GDR3. Other than that, you are just plain wrong, and spreading misinformation. If a bug-fix is what you want to call a new build, fine. But when you call it a beta, you are spreading lies. The build we have is intended to be THE build.

Link? Search on the WPCentral news. I don't know if it is a small or big patch (do you?) but it will be a new build.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Link? Search on the WPCentral news. I don't know if it is a small or big patch (do you?) but it will be a new build.
Your lack of providing a link proves your lack of confidence in your own statements. I've provided links to back up what I've said, but you've only posted what you've made up.
The only part of this whole update that is beta is Cortana. Period. I'm done arguing with you.

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Reading some of these bad comments about WP8.1, I think you are forgetting the word 'PREVIEW' of course its buggy garbage like beta testers we are here to help iron out the bugs, ready for a update to occur. Of course things aren't going to work right, or course battery drain is going to happen faster (well not for me anyway), be glad you are testing it, or next time don't sign up, you should have expected this when you first signed up for the preview.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Reading some of these bad comments about WP8.1, I think you are forgetting the word 'PREVIEW' of course its buggy garbage like beta testers we are here to help iron out the bugs, ready for a update to occur. Of course things aren't going to work right, or course battery drain is going to happen faster (well not for me anyway), be glad you are testing it, or next time don't sign up, you should have expected this when you first signed up for the preview.
The only part of this that is beta is Cortana. The rest is all intended to be final build, and has already been sent to manufacturers. They do not RTM beta bits without calling them beta (i.e. Cortana has "beta" in the upper right corner).

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people that claim to be Windows Phone advocates are so quick to the torches and pitchforks. I love my windows phone. I was an iphone user for 3 years. Once I realized that having a bazillion apps that didn't work together, a crappy calendar, and horrible email, just wasn't doing it for me, I switched to WP 8.0. Love it. Then I updated with dev preview, and I agree some of the moves are questionable, but I still love it over iphone. Cortana is getting a workout from my busy schedule, and she isn't missing a beat. She even reminded me to buy printer ink while I was at Wal-Mart, as I parked the car. So chill out folks. Give it a chance. Either be a Windows phone advocate or not. With friends like you, who needs enemies? Also, positive buzz will get more people to buy. More people buying will get more developers making apps. We need a positive spiral upward, NOT a spiral downward. I'm tired of that. My favorite financial app from iOS is still not available on Windows phone. When I emailed the developer, he responded, "I'm sorry, but we have no plans to work on WIndows Phone at this time." How can WE make that change? The answer is "growth". So either contribute to the growth, or go be a ****** of some other phone. Personally, I think you'll get bored with iphone and frustrated with Android. OK, that's enough.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Your lack of providing a link proves your lack of confidence in your own statements. I've provided links to back up what I've said, but you've only posted what you've made up.
The only part of this whole update that is beta is Cortana. Period. I'm done arguing with you.

As I said, it is on the wpcentral news, I'm on the phone, I will search the news later on my PC.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
The only part of this that is beta is Cortana. The rest is all intended to be final build, and has already been sent to manufacturers. They do not RTM beta bits without calling them beta (i.e. Cortana has "beta" in the upper right corner).

RTM doesn't mean it's the version people will use on final devices. Win8 RTM and there was an update available the day was released to the public. I fully expect a patch and several large updates to the major apps before release.

Also it's never been confirmed that the Dev Preview is the RTM version. Joe Belfiore said that some features of 8.1 (like the updated lock screen) aren't part of the preview build which assuming they aren't being moved out of 8.1 would necessitate another update/build exists.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

So far, the Preview for Developers program with Windows Phone 8.1 is going very well for Microsoft and those interested in getting an early look at the next OS. The preview, however, is not completely optimized for individual devices, and they still need new firmware to be complete. Once “official” updates rollout with OEM firmware, we expect things to be even better for consumers.

Still, Microsoft is in a ‘pay attention to the customer’ mode, reacting very quickly to user feedback. That’s why we’re excited to hear, at least via Microsoft’s Community forums, that an update to the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview will be forthcoming.

Microsoft will supposedly update Windows Phone 8.1 Preview to fix 80188309 error | Windows Phone Central

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Even if this version is the final version of 8.1 it doesn't mean that MS can't release any updates in the near future.

Absolutely. It's weird that this obvious point has to be made. NOTHING is ever really "final" in software these days, but this was a public release that was "done". It wasn't beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.