Microsoft: Windows Phone isn't our focus this year!

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually I'm tired of big phones. 950 XL is a monster. I was looking at various sizes of phones and think something around 4-4.5" is perfect for me. Smaller would be difficult to use and bigger is just a hog in my pocket. You can;t even sit at the table with 950XL in your pocket and I'm not a fan of having phones on the table.
I agree. While I like the larger screens, I am finding they start to get impractical to carry around once they hit 5 inches which is the size of my two latest phones.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been through Android (early days), iPhone, newer Android, and now finally WP. I had a WP someone gave me and I put Windows Insider on it and updated to WM10 beta and really trashed it. So I bought a Lumia 1520 on eBay and keeping it on 8.1 until the official WM10 release comes for it through the Update menu.

However, after owning all of the major phones (aside from BB in its day) I can confidently say I am happier on my WP than on all the other devices. Why? The idea behind Continuum isn?t a gimmick or a next-gen cool idea. It is just reality. A PC in your pocket that also makes phone calls. The tech is getting there and eventually beyond. So, to those saying that WP is dead. Not even. It will happen. It will be made. Perhaps, the current WM10 is not it but Microsoft gains nothing by just abandoning the idea moving back to the old days of PC OS. If MS gives up then someone else will just step in and get it done (Apple?) and then where does that put all of MS other offerings/products?

The idea behind Continuum is what I want and I?m willing to take the ride with MS. Everything else is just a phone with a flashy app store that eventually gets boring. But a PC in your pocket that goes everywhere with you and eventually replaces all my devices? That?s long term thinking and that?s what MS is ? a long term company. So, I will sacrifice today?s convenience and the ability to brag about my phone or tell everyone how awesome it is (even though it will be replaced by something more awesome in 10 months) for the ability to own the game tomorrow. And once Continuum hits its stride, it will definitely own and everyone will be saying as they did in the 90s, Apple/(Google) who?

So Microsoft doesn't want people to buy the surface book, or surface pro anymore. Just the phone? I don't get it. Continuum does not run programs like a full desktop.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems like people saying concerned users are crying over spilled milk are trying to stupidly bash anyone voicing justifiable concerns over MS's lack of commitment to WP. The bottom line is WP hasn't been MS's focus for years.

I am still amazed anyone can even try to refute this when you are hard pressed to find a decent WP on most major carriers. I can't find one that isn't over 3+ years old on Sprint. And you can only get a 950XL unlocked or on AT&T? WTF??!! You can say it's a better bargain unlocked all you want, but the average consumer overwhelmingly walks into a phone carrier and buys one that's on display on a payment plan. If MS can't strike a deal with carriers to get a phone in front of you then it's simply not trying hard enough. And they are only hurting themselves as US WP market share has plummeted in the last year from its already lowly rankings.

That's the reason I jumped to a Note 3 on Sprint. I left my family plan on Sprint to get a 920 on AT&T in 2012 with the belief that by the time my contract was up in 2 years there would be a bevy of choices on Sprint and I could jump back. Nope, in fact WP was almost even worse on Sprint with only crappy 2+ year old WP devices. I decided a Sprint Note 3 was a better choice and would save me the extra $1400 I had spent over the 2 years I was on AT&T for the honor of using a WP.

I would love to get a 950XL or the future HP Elite X3 on Sprint, but until MS seriously works with vendors to get their phones on them I really have no choice but to stick with Android.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually I'm tired of big phones. 950 XL is a monster. I was looking at various sizes of phones and think something around 4-4.5" is perfect for me. Smaller would be difficult to use and bigger is just a hog in my pocket. You can;t even sit at the table with 950XL in your pocket and I'm not a fan of having phones on the table.
Yes! Size is one thing that makes me seriously eye an iPhone. I wish there were some smaller Windows options with good specs. Really like what Apple did with the new SE, which is just about the perfect size. I have a Lumia 640 currently, but it is a bit too big for my taste. Otherwise, W10 is fine--I think its biggest problem is bugginess and lagging. The first thing they need to do is make all of the existing features of W10 work properly and smoothly, then focus on new features and apps.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Size is one thing that makes me seriously eye an iPhone. I wish there were some smaller Windows options with good specs. Really like what Apple did with the new SE, which is just about the perfect size. I have a Lumia 640 currently, but it is a bit too big for my taste. Otherwise, W10 is fine--I think its biggest problem is bugginess and lagging. The first thing they need to do is make all of the existing features of W10 work properly and smoothly, then focus on new features and apps.

You know you really want a 6.8 inch Lenovo Phab phone :winktongue:

phab-one-hand-use.jpg

Not something I would want to carry even on a belt case!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124