Microsoft's Arrow launcher for Android.. How about implementing those ideas into Windows Mobile ?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
People want certainty and confidence from the companies their products came from. That's what Apple has been doing right for years. Microsoft is losing the people that came here in the first place and liked where it was going. Supporting other platforms with better support than their own platform is just like cutting off their arm and replacing it with some cyborg mechanical arm instead.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

I wish Microsoft had confidence in their mobile phones. Almost all they can speak of is Office this, office that up and down.. Masses don't use Office nor will ever use Continuum nor even care to. Oh an Cloud first, Cloud what when you are in the middle of nowhere? I don't think their focus is in the right place. *cry*

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm still sure that Microsoft will improve Windows Mobile so we're all going to be happy while it will also a attract new users. Cos' Microsoft can be sneaky and surprising sometimes with their products.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
stock touchwiz (touchwiz opinions are everywhere) doesn't lag, and has more functionality. this launcher does nothing more than 3 year old touchwiz, and lags in the process ? uninstalled.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Android changes UI every major relase, it's the best thing you could experience. At least for me. Always fun.

But yes this would be something new in the navigation of the OS, but I think it would sure attract more people.

Not really. I've had them all, the only real change is lollipop with material design. I do like the way the icons look. Very modern yet simple. That's what I was hoping Windows 10 would have for some of the file explorer style icons. But either way Windows 10 is just kick ***. At least on Desktop. The mobile one doesn't really make me want to update my main phone and I barely touch my 520 with windows 10 on it.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Not really. I've had them all, the only real change is lollipop with material design. I do like the way the icons look. Very modern yet simple. That's what I was hoping Windows 10 would have for some of the file explorer style icons. But either way Windows 10 is just kick ***. At least on Desktop. The mobile one doesn't really make me want to update my main phone and I barely touch my 520 with windows 10 on it.

I've had them all too so I know it changed enough for every update to be something new and refreshing.

Pure Android.

Look again from let's say froyo, gingerbread to ice cream sandwich, KitKat, now Lolipop, puberty done right.

And new features are also always included. Android M will probably be the first to have almost no changes.

I like Windows 10 too and wish Windows Mobile actually reflected its design language in every aspect.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't get why people "threaten" to leave to Android... If good UX means that little to you, why not just go? What will your threats do?

For me the Android UI is nice and consistent. They did something that Windows Phone had a head start on and have thrown out with Windows 10, they have a very well documented design language: Material Design Language

If you think material design UI is poor then I'm sorry I have to disagree. I've been very disappointed with WP 10 UI, I really loved 7/8 and it pains me to use 10, they have sacrificed a lot of good UI for being universal and device agnostic. For comparison here is the Windows 10 UI guide: Windows 10 UI Guide

And a few real world examples of material design mockups: https://www.materialup.com/

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I kind of like the music from the video. And the OS looks okay, sort of first-release BlackBerry 10. It depends on taste and sense of aesthetics I suppose, but my mind remains unboggled however finely wrought the app icons are, because they are static. W10M live tiles are much more full of life and information. When they are working, they draw you into apps at a glance, or let you know when things have been quiet, which is nice also. And they come in different sizes! There's always been something sad and off-putting in the uniform rows of similarly sized icons, in IOS, Android and BB10. I hope MS can refine the graphics and burnish the overall sharpness of the start screen, but with so much information on the top-down scroll, I can find what I need in no time. Alphabetizing is one answer to a problem I don't really have with W10M, finding the app I want to open.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it, but that launcher looks pretty dang good with that MS flava. Did a better android than the goog IMHO.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why people "threaten" to leave to Android... If good UX means that little to you, why not just go? What will your threats do?

For me, W10m UI is OK. Just OK, although I find some screens (settings UIs, etc) simply have too much empty spaces on the right which is kinda weird to me. I don't see such waste of spaces on Android or iOS.

Anyways, what makes me frustrated on WP8.1 is the freaking slow animations throughout the system. I need to wait for the animations to stop before I can carry on with my others swipes gestures. The most annoying situation is when I'm back to the Start screen, I have to wait for the tiles to "settle" before I can start scrolling or tapping on other apps. No such nonsenses on Android - be it TouchWiz, HTC Sense or even stock Android. I hope this is fixed on WP10M.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
For me, W10m UI is OK. Just OK, although I find some screens (settings UIs, etc) simply have too much empty spaces on the right which is kinda weird to me. I don't see such waste of spaces on Android or iOS.

Anyways, what makes me frustrated on WP8.1 is the freaking slow animations throughout the system. I need to wait for the animations to stop before I can carry on with my others swipes gestures. The most annoying situation is when I'm back to the Start screen, I have to wait for the tiles to "settle" before I can start scrolling or tapping on other apps. No such nonsenses on Android - be it TouchWiz, HTC Sense or even stock Android. I hope this is fixed on WP10M.

Hah this.. Fingers fly faster than the system ;) same

navneet kumar5

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Not only this but also other Microsoft Garage Apps like Next Locker is required in windows. I can't understand why these apps are only in android. It seems Microsoft conceded that its lost and so no new ideas or apps for windows Phone.

Also as it is being claimed that windows 10 for phone is feature locked now, so doesn't sees much difference between 8.1 and 10.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Not only this but also other Microsoft Garage Apps like Next Locker is required in windows. I can't understand why these apps are only in android. It seems Microsoft conceded that its lost and so no new ideas or apps for windows Phone.

Also as it is being claimed that windows 10 for phone is feature locked now, so doesn't sees much difference between 8.1 and 10.

What? Where is this being claimed? That would be a disaster..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Some things are possible in Android that are not possible in WP (or iOS) because of Android's open nature. This may be at least part of the reason why Microsoft Garage focuses on Android. They can do pretty much whatever they wish.

It's interesting how one of Android's advantages is also one of its disadvantages.

Alexandana Theng

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Great idea!
I have been thinking of this since i first started using windows phone (Lumia 720 and now owning a lumia 925). Microsoft should offer consumers a choice of launcher which works perfectly smooth like current wp and i believe most wp fans will be happy for this, including me :).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb