Minimum features needed on a windows mobile device

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
There have been some exciting features found on windows mobile devices such as glance screen, pureview cameras, double tap to wake etc
The problem is that some models have the features while others don't. Some have 2 features while another can have 3 but they're not similar.

So which features have to be available in all windows mobile devices? As a bare minimum? It doesn't make sense to have pureview but no sensorcore, to have glance but no DTTW

What would your list of features be? I'm not talking about hardware specs such as 5MP camera or 2000mAh battery but the list of capabilities/features

Thank you

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
MUST HAVES: (for me)
Glance screen
micro SD card slot
@ least 16GB internal storage
pureview camera
camera flash (as a Flashlight, also)
FF camera
@ least 5" screen

DTTW - not very necessary for me, I turn it OFF on my Lumia 1520, alleged to waste battery

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
MUST HAVES: (for me)
Glance screen
micro SD card slot
@ least 16GB internal storage
pureview camera
camera flash (as a Flashlight, also)
FF camera
@ least 5" screen

DTTW - not very necessary for me, I turn it OFF on my Lumia 1520, alleged to waste battery

can some of your specs be supported in a low budget device? :wink:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
can some of your specs be supported in a low budget device? :wink:

not sure, but ...

These are my minimum specs, I tend to favor mid-range to hi end devices, which I'll keep for an extended period of time.
There is a place for the budget devices, but immediate future will probably skew to higher end devices.
Budget devices were tried, minimal profit margin - did NOT provide the traction needed.
I've had my Lumia 1520 for over 2 years, still happy ... with Anniversary Update giving it NU life.
It still ranks as a higher end device.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Chintan Gohel
There have been some exciting features found on windows mobile devices such as glance screen, pureview cameras, double tap to wake etc
The problem is that some models have the features while others don't. Some have 2 features while another can have 3 but they're not similar.

So which features have to be available in all windows mobile devices? As a bare minimum? It doesn't make sense to have pureview but no sensorcore, to have glance but no DTTW

What would your list of features be? I'm not talking about hardware specs such as 5MP camera or 2000mAh battery but the list of capabilities/features

Thank you

all of them man, even not having xenon+led flash makes me pull my hair from time to time, there's just no damn excuse to exclude those special features from a top of the line phone, qi charging, glance etc they HAVE TO BE THERE, see how the 930-icon didnt have glance while the rest of lower end devices had it, just insane, all for the sake of selling that moonraker smartwatch probably, that was some very shady business by nokia back then

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
IMHO every Windows phone with a camera should have a camera button!!!
Glance is nice on amoled, but not on LCD
Micro SD card slot
Removable battery that lasts at least 24 hours with heavy use
At least 16 GB storage
At least 1 GB of RAM
Most recent version of Gorilla glass or equivalent
Decent rear camera with HD that works! Token front camera.
Wireless charging no longer necessary with new C-type connections, but quick charge a must
Decent CPU that never overheats
Stereo speakers
An OS that is reliable, robust and up-gradable

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Micro SD card slot
At least 16 GB storage
At least 1 GB of RAM
Wireless charging no longer necessary with new C-type connections, but quick charge a must
Stereo speakers

I like your list -it's not too demanding, actually quite workable. The processor will heat up as you do demanding tasks like intensive games or streaming 4k video over cellular

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine for now would be:

Dedicated camera button
Different coloured shells or body
Sensorcore for fitness tracking etc
USB OTG - many want it I guess

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I ditto what both of you (Chintan and Rubidad) said! The only thing I'll add is flash on the back camera at least. Really liked the 532 but it not having flash on the back camera was/is kind of a bummer.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Micro SD card slot
At least 16 GB storage
At least 1 GB of RAM
Stereo speakers

i cant see how type c or any fast charge tech mitigates the need for wireless charging

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I respectfully have to completely disagree. MS is going after the enterprise users for mobile. If we are the only platform who can't natively interface with google services, that's not doom and gloom, it's just doom. This ******* match between the two needs to stop. Mainly on the MS side. If we have all Google users locked out, that's it, done. MS needs to open the checkbook and pay Google to leave us alone and play nice. They waste so much cash on failed businesses, why can't they pay Google 1billion to support our platform for a decade?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I respectfully have to completely disagree. MS is going after the enterprise users for mobile. If we are the only platform who can't natively interface with google services, that's not doom and gloom, it's just doom. This ******* match between the two needs to stop. Mainly on the MS side. If we have all Google users locked out, that's it, done. MS needs to open the checkbook and pay Google to leave us alone and play nice. They waste so much cash on failed businesses, why can't they pay Google 1billion to support our platform for a decade?

how necessary one or the other's services are varies greatly from place to place, I've had only one experience where I was forced to deal with google services due to work, but it was merely accessing a cloud share, the rest of the people I have since worked with are fine with onedrive and office, even skype groups

I remember yahoo messenger and windows live messenger where almost completely interoperable, and as you can see email is brand agnostic, I miss how common sense dominated the tech industry back then

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

you want MS to pay Google to develop apps for the windows ecosystem? Good luck with that. Can you estimate how much more revenue MS will get from having google apps for windows? There has to be a return on investment, money just can't be thrown around for very little ROI

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Well its either something to that effect, or we will be the only platform that wont allow access to Google services. Its bad enough apps like Waze are abandoned, but to add on top no native access to Google calendars etc. Not going to draw converts from Android with that. We cant honestly expect someone to ditch a platform all together. Windows Mobile has lost, MS has all but admitted that. So instead of wasting money on the numerous companies they buy every year do something to help what they claim will be pointed at businesses. Businesses use Google services, a lot of them do. If we sit back and say we don't need Google.... that would be the true end to the platform. Pay Google to support us, get some UWP apps for everything, that can HURT the bottom line. My $ number was an example. And work arounds are NOT a solution. WE will do it, but cant expect a newb to walk into a store, look at a phone, ask if their Google contacts and calendar can be imported, then be told the umpteen steps to do it. Instead of a couple clicks, and entering credentials.

you want MS to pay Google to develop apps for the windows ecosystem? Good luck with that. Can you estimate how much more revenue MS will get from having google apps for windows? There has to be a return on investment, money just can't be thrown around for very little ROI

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Well its either something to that effect, or we will be the only platform that wont allow access to Google services. Its bad enough apps like Waze are abandoned, but to add on top no native access to Google calendars etc. Not going to draw converts from Android with that. We cant honestly expect someone to ditch a platform all together. Windows Mobile has lost, MS has all but admitted that. So instead of wasting money on the numerous companies they buy every year do something to help what they claim will be pointed at businesses. Businesses use Google services, a lot of them do. If we sit back and say we don't need Google.... that would be the true end to the platform. Pay Google to support us, get some UWP apps for everything, that can HURT the bottom line. My $ number was an example. And work arounds are NOT a solution. WE will do it, but cant expect a newb to walk into a store, look at a phone, ask if their Google contacts and calendar can be imported, then be told the umpteen steps to do it. Instead of a couple clicks, and entering credentials.

Any time now I expect to hear that windows 10 is now on 400 million devices. In the next 6 months, that number might be at 500 million to give a conservative estimate. At which figure will Google feel the pressure to start developing apps for the windows platform? When the numbers reach 1 billion, will Google still decline to develop apps for the windows platform? there are less than 1 billion iphone users and they have google apps, don't they? When did Google decide to develop for them? When the users were 1 billion? 500 million?

The UWP strategy is working, it will put pressure on Google and other developers to stop ignoring the windows 10 platform. The more the users, the more the pressure. People will continue to buy windows 10 devices. the numbers will grow. Store will get better, apps will increase

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb