Minimum features needed on a windows mobile device

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Any time now I expect to hear that windows 10 is now on 400 million devices. In the next 6 months, that number might be at 500 million to give a conservative estimate. At which figure will Google feel the pressure to start developing apps for the windows platform? When the numbers reach 1 billion, will Google still decline to develop apps for the windows platform? there are less than 1 billion iphone users and they have google apps, don't they? When did Google decide to develop for them? When the users were 1 billion? 500 million?

The UWP strategy is working, it will put pressure on Google and other developers to stop ignoring the windows 10 platform. The more the users, the more the pressure. People will continue to buy windows 10 devices. the numbers will grow. Store will get better, apps will increase

And I hope all of that comes to fruition. But we have been here before, on the cusp with this platform. Hopefully the numbers do it. But these are stubborn companies that don't always act based on money. Pride can be an issue. But here's to hoping!

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Chintan Gohel
Originally Posted by Allen Rhodes
Well its either something to that effect, or we will be the only platform that wont allow access to Google services. Its bad enough apps like Waze are abandoned, but to add on top no native access to Google calendars etc. Not going to draw converts from Android with that. We cant honestly expect someone to ditch a platform all together. Windows Mobile has lost, MS has all but admitted that. So instead of wasting money on the numerous companies they buy every year do something to help what they claim will be pointed at businesses. Businesses use Google services, a lot of them do. If we sit back and say we don't need Google.... that would be the true end to the platform. Pay Google to support us, get some UWP apps for everything, that can HURT the bottom line. My $ number was an example. And work arounds are NOT a solution. WE will do it, but cant expect a newb to walk into a store, look at a phone, ask if their Google contacts and calendar can be imported, then be told the umpteen steps to do it. Instead of a couple clicks, and entering credentials.

Any time now I expect to hear that windows 10 is now on 400 million devices. In the next 6 months, that number might be at 500 million to give a conservative estimate. At which figure will Google feel the pressure to start developing apps for the windows platform? When the numbers reach 1 billion, will Google still decline to develop apps for the windows platform? there are less than 1 billion iphone users and they have google apps, don't they? When did Google decide to develop for them? When the users were 1 billion? 500 million?

The UWP strategy is working, it will put pressure on Google and other developers to stop ignoring the windows 10 platform. The more the users, the more the pressure. People will continue to buy windows 10 devices. the numbers will grow. Store will get better, apps will increase
400 million w10 users that also happen to be part of the 2 billion android devices out there, i think devs think they have the audience covered already :p

nedarata

May 5, 2015
Visit site
less restarts
you need to restart even just to disable vibration for navigation bar, or changing system language. changing keyboard language also needs to restart with "installing updates gears" animation
gadgets app also needed restart. even earlier glance versions needed restart
in setup (after reset) changing language requires restart

speaking about vibration for navigation bar there are 2 places in settings to enable/disable it. what where they thinking?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
speaking about vibration for navigation bar there are 2 places in settings to enable/disable it. what where they thinking?

nokia had to step in adding features to wp because apparently the worlds biggest software company wasnt able to, on its own brand new OS

so there you have the old implementation from nokia hanging around while microsoft plants his new implementation alongside it

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So which features have to be available in all windows mobile devices? As a bare minimum?

My wants:
  1. 16 GB internal with an SD slot supporting 64 GB
  2. Front facing speaker or dual speakers
  3. Headphone jack on the bottom
  4. Hardware camera button
  5. 5.5 1080p screen
  6. 3000 MAH battery
  7. Glitch free OS
  8. USB C 3.0
  9. Intel CPU

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My wants:
  1. 16 GB internal with an SD slot supporting 64 GB
  2. Front facing speaker or dual speakers
  3. Headphone jack on the bottom
  4. Hardware camera button
  5. 5.5 1080p screen
  6. 3000 MAH battery
  7. Glitch free OS
  8. USB C 3.0
  9. Intel CPU

I would agree with you on everything except for the last one. My original point was about minimum specs, not optimum specs :smile:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would agree with you on everything except for the last one. My original point was about minimum specs, not optimum specs :smile:

That's what I think a modern device would have at a minimum.
The original ASUS Zenfone2 has an Intel CPU and for an outdated device it runs circles around a lot of other phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12