Miss W10M so much :(

style2k12

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I had endless problems getting my outlook account to work with the Android outlook app. When I went through the setup it would think for a few seconds then just take me back to the sign in page. It kept saying it couldn't authenticate my account

It caused massive problems for me.

The other big issue was with contacts and calendar events. Because that's all tied into outlook it was an absolute nightmare getting it to sync.

In the end, I gave up and started accessing my emails through the outlook.com website. Fortunately the Outlook.com site is a PWA so I saved it to my homescreen and it looks and works just like an app.

Contacts are still a problem. I can't get my contacts in Windows to sync with Gmail :(

that is right i guess you have 2fa enabled? if that is the case you need to go to security settings and create an app pasword fill that in after you account name and your mail can be accesed.. your account doesnt change but its just for security . :)

Random DS

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I missed it so much, that I went back after a few days on android. Even with Square Home 2, it still wasn't good enough. And it was still google at its hearth, even though I disabled everything google related except the play store and its services. I will try switching again, this time to iOS, with an iPhone X in December, if I can't get my hands on Andromeda by that time, so wish me luck 😁 But my 650 is still chugging along nicely until that.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
The next phone for me after the 950XL is the Andromeda. Phone is a tool, not a hobby and it is working fine. No need to switch phones.

romaink

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It's been about a year for me since I switched to the LG G6.

I'm still not satisfied with the experience.

The thing I miss the most though, which Microsoft did not get credit for, was the great backup system which kept even start screen settings. Upgrade to a new device and all your apps, settings and format followed.

Don't expect this on an Android device. It took me a couple days after a factory reset to get a launcher configured the way I want it. Now, I don't look forward to upgrading.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I switched to Android about 3 weeks ago after using Windows since the launch of Windows Phone 7. These are the things I'm finding myself missing the most:

• User Interface of the Start screen - I feel that the tile layout and the addition of live tiles give Windows the best user interface of any smartphone platform. I tried a few different Windows-style launchers on Android, but without native live tiles, it just doesn't feel the same.
  • Outlook Mail app's handling of linked inboxes - I have several personal email accounts, though I mainly use my ISP-provided email. Others include a Yahoo account, Gmail account, iCloud account, but since I don't use them often I have all these accounts grouped into a linked inbox.

I also have an Exchange account through work that I want to keep separate. Windows allows me to separately pin a shortcut to the linked inbox and the Exchange inbox to my start screen.

Neither the Outlook app for Android nor the other email apps I've tried seem to have the ability to pin inbox shortcuts independently from one another. My workaround has been to use the Outlook app for all my personal emails and the built-in Gmail app for my Exchange email.
  • Outlook Calendar's handling of other accounts - When I sign into any account that includes a calendar in the Windows system settings, the calendars are automatically displayed in the Outlook Calendar app.

Integrating all the calendars from other account, including Outlook and Facebook, into the system calendar on Android is much more complicated.
  • Cortana - The Cortana app in Android is severely lacking compared to Windows. Other than being able to set reminders from my home PC and have them pop up on the phone, Cortana seems almost pointless on an Android device, especially since voice recognition only works if the app is opened or the Cortana microphone is manually triggered.

On the positive side, the Facebook doesn't crash every other time it is opened like on Windows, and my Garmin watch consistently syncs and gets notifications that seldomly worked with Windows.

ladydias

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I got a Blackberry Priv after my 1520 died and, while it was nice to have access to a lot of apps, Android itself is a bloated disorganized mess that was made bearable only with the Microsoft launcher. The on-screen keyboards available (and I tried a fair few) were inferior to what I had on Win10 mobile. I also realized that I just don't care that much for apps. I kept questioning why I was expected to use up my phone's memory for apps that I would only use every once in a while, or to try out the latest fad app, or for functions that could easily be done on the web. And in the end, I just found Android to be inefficient and frustrating.

My husband finally put me out of my misery and bought me a brand new Alcatel Idol 4S last month for $189 and - after having to exchange it once due to a nasty update bug that screwed up my speakers - I am happily using an OS that makes sense and is a pleasure to use. The apps I liked using are still here and, surprisingly, still being updated (an example is Tweet It! getting the 280 character limit for Twitter). The YouTube apps are much better because I'm not forced to sit through the ads like I had to on Android and I'm not constantly having Google stalking me and asking me about the places I visit or being slammed with useless notifications that bog my phone down. Plus, my contacts follow me everywhere instead of having to maintain two separate lists.

To put it simply, Win10 Mobile is home and will continue to be such while I wait to see what Microsoft will do next.

PS. Cortana received massive improvements on Win 10 while I was gone and is still worlds better on a dedicated Windows device.

Last edited:

Devan Hammack

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I miss the interface, the live tiles, the settings.
Omg the settings app on my S8+ is a nightmare. Seriously can't find anything, or I find it in 3 different places.
6 months later, its still asking me to set default apps for stuff. WTH

I miss how email worked. Outlook on Android is garbage... or, at the very least, I haven't figured out how to make it less trash. Every few weeks, I have to reset my gmail account because it will bog down and take 15 seconds to open an email or mark it as read. And when I try to load messages from a subfolder? Total crapshoot whether or not it will work.
I miss "hey Cortana.. remind me to.."

But.. I can do mobile banking, I can play the 2 games I want to play, I can get all the other apps that I barely ever use that are handy when I need them.

PWA's and Andromeda (or whatever device makes it all work) can't come fast enough.

Topol

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I really miss overall flow from w10m. The whole idea of live tiles and perfectly working folders on start screen. Also the list on right side was so powerful, just swipe and write. i have a feeling on Samsung's GS7 it's not so good. I love the phone, but I really miss that flow. Also the biggest problem with either Android or IOS is a keyboard. Why Microsoft can't make a port? It was really the best keyboard I ever used, and I tried gazilliona from Play store. Now I'm using BlackBerry keyboard but it's not the same.
My Lumia 930 was great. I hated when camera quality degredated after upgrade to W10M, when battery life dropped after upgrades, but still I miss this phone. Now, laying in a box, waiting for me. Also, I wish Cortina was working better in Poland, even with English settings...

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I still use my 950XL, however I moved to WinPhone from my (only) Android buy, the popular HTC Wildfire. God it was abysmal, I miss absolutely nothing about my Android experience. Interesting to see those that went the other way often can't say the same.

If only Ol' Nads had gone to work for Google instead of Microsoft, it could have been so different.

Wayne Dupree

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I miss the Start screen, first and foremost. It's just better than what Android or iOS have to offer. I dislike static icons, and while you can change your launcher on Android, none really come close to offering the same experience you had on Windows Phone.

Well put from the main story and the many replies since. I've been on Android since October 2016 and the most jarring part of the transition for me was (and still is to an extent) not having the single glance-ability of seeing what I wanted with a quick glance at the home screen of live tiles. I think the "live tile" concept is not well understood by those that didn't use WP in that it's not just a moving-metro-icon it's a stream of quick information that helps you decide it you need to get more info by opening an app.

As glad as I am for the apps on Android the first thing I noticed is how dependent you are in having to go into every single app for anything. Want to see the current radar? Open the weather app. Want to see the latest news? Open the news app. Latest RSS news? Open the Feedly app. Etc. etc. Now, yes, I know there are widgets but they are nothing close to live tiles on average and there's limited support for them. The UI of Android or iPhone reminds me of that screenshot of the guy who's desktop is just covered in icons and it drives me crazy.

The Curious TX

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
well I miss Windows phone, 8.1 that is and have not used WM10

I have been using Android for two years. But still I miss Windows phone 8.1. I liked the design and Metro UI the most. It was really fluid, those animations were making the experience compelling. now Android is fast, really fast but not that live. Android is like far ugly out there.

It was like most efficient OS out there, ran well in under powered hardware. In my android apps sizes are very large and their cached data quickly fills up my internal storage, whereas in WP apps were smaller and It would go fully in SD Card. plus with new trend of big phablets, I find it difficult to use my phone one handedly, but it was really well one handed operability of WP.

that WP was rock solid as software, and in Android all my apps keep using battery and I need to force close them. as I use greenify, sometimes apps gets stuck and I have to reboot Android.

Mostly these are my gripes with android and if google optimizes android heavily than I would like Android.

Maximum Attakk

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Sadly my mobile contract has come to and end with no Windows mobile I've opted for a Sony Xperia running on Android...… less than a week in with anew phone and not excited with my new gadget, not impressed with what it can do...more missing Windows mobile, looking at my Lumia 950 with it's cracked screen and thinking had the operating system continued to be supported I would have been better off fixing it. The UI on Windows mobile was way better than my new Android, and hardware wise, even though my 950 is getting on for 2.5 yrs it's still as good and in some ways better than my new phone. Ay least now I can get some of the apps that weren't on Windows mobile..... here's a laugh... now have Sonos app but my phone will not connect to Wifi (only the guest network which cannot access Sonos system or NAS nor can it mirror to the TV and my wife's Android phone is exactly the same) Hmmmm...

MosaicMarch

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
No need to be emotional here. I was a Windows Phone / Mobile supporter since WinCE days. Just three months ago I finally retired my L950 and switched to Android (Huawei Mate 10 pro). It felt strange a bit. Android has plenty of customizations, Google's apps seemed to me too basic, even childish (Default GMail app) but in few days everything settled. There are plenty of apps to choose and you can really create a mobile environment that suits all your preferences and needs. It was maybe a week later and I already become so dependant on my new mobile - it just plain simple works flawlessly. Can you imagine I haven't had not a single mobile crash / sudden shutdowns? No application even crashed on me during last 3 months! I was surprised! Even more, there is no notification i missed, no missed email, no internet browser chrashes or sluggishness, I never missed a moment for a perfect photo and all this packed with a battery that just lasts and lasts. :)
So, do I miss Win Phone/Mobile? No, not really. They had some good ideas, and all of them was implemented poorly. Not even Live Tiles worked correctly (always wrong badge showing number of unread emails, Weather app (not) refreshing, Skype, SKYPE!!!). Microsoft actually never delivered what was promised, they never fulfilled their supporters' wishes. But I really miss third, fourth or even fifth mobile OS. Just imagine how world would look like if there are only two car manufactures...

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday i was at a shop to buy a phone, and they had a used Lumia 950 XL for about 250€! I really wanted it but for a used phone it was too much, i went and bought the Nokia 6 (from last year), i came to love Android (only pure Android) my phone is on Oreo, they said the 430 Snapdragon shipset is slow, but for me it's fine, I don't do gaming on phones anymore, anyways I've learned to love iOS and Android for what they give, and i guess during the wait for the Andromeda device to come, windows for me will be just on Laptops!

horbeme

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
i truly miss my windows phone, the simplicity of it cant be beat. truly missing my live tiles and when it comes to text messaging, missing my predictive text and having Cortana read to me my messages when i have headphones on or Bluetooth enabled.having everything windows in the palm of my hand with features Google and Apple don't have. i have a Galaxy S7E for a year now and i like it but its no Windows phones, i am about to upgrade to the Galaxy 9 unless MS can show me something else and soon. Please Windows Phone come back!!!!!

DrWMJ

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
My wife still uses my Lumia Icon as a music player for her vocal music students. I do like my Pixel 2xl, however.

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
yes i miss windows 10 mobile too. missed potential :unhappy:

but i installed a launcher in android to preserve some of that windows 10 look. So I am happy now

Orlando Grillo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
As much as we love the platform, Microsoft aren't giving us any options other than to leave. The OS is dead. The few developers that supported W10M are leaving and even UWP apps won't continue to work forever. I think MS are trying to completely kill the platform before Andromeda lands.

Sad stuff :( it really was the best OS. Such a pity devs didn't see the potential.

Android is ok. It gets the job done. But it doesn't feel as intuitive and certainly feels a lot less secure

Totally agree. Android is ok but not intuitive, with a messy language and layout. Management of accounts and contacts is a mess. Widgets are 99% of the time ugly as hell. Notifications are itritating (android shows notifications for everything and you loose the important ones if you don't spend a lot of time disabling non important notifications). System updates are almost non existent. I am using an LG V20 since my Lumia 930 started to have battery and freezing problems and a cracked screen for the third time. I receveid just one system update since I bought this phone but there is no signal of Android Oreo. And this is a flagship device!. I read some coments here saying that Windows Mobile is receiving security updates monthly. And I say: wow! The system is "dead", with few users, but it is still receiving far more updates than this crappy Android that everybody uses!
The best thing about Android is that apps are constantly updated. I think app developers do a much better job than Google in supporting Android. Even so, a lot of the apps in the Play Store are totally crap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963