Mouse/keyboard on the Xbox One?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's a bit quiet in this sub-forum and this is something I've been wondering about recently..

I was thinking that if I could have a mouse and keyboard on the "coffee table" in the living room, the X1 would make for a good casual machine on a big screen to do certain things with, so I wouldn't always have to be at my PC with the 23" screen just to easily browse the web. Since X1 is capable of web browsing just fine, but is obviously hindered by the lack of mouse and keyboard (apparently though Smartglass can be used for keyboard input, so I could probably use my Surface for that) in comparison to the PC.

I think we know X1 has no BT, which would rule out BT mouse and keyboard, I suppose wired options might work, but when the device only has 3 USB slots to begin, some of which will be taken by controllers, somewhere down the line one might be taken by external HDD, what options do we have? I suppose they might come up with X1-specific mouse and keyboard that uses the same propretiary wireless thing as the controller, but needless to say this would likely be a more expensive option than your average BT mouse and KB.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You could have the wireless route for mouse and keyboard. Logitech makes their wireless receivers capable of handling multiple devices nowadays, so you could have one wireless receiver to connect a mouse and keyboard at the same time, and it'd deal with the limitations of a wired option.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Cool, that sounds like a viable option if it just works with the console. Gotta keep my eyes peeled for such options.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering this as well. I'd love to use a Mouse/KB for BF4.

There is a 3rd party option for the 360 to use a Keyboard/Mouse but, if you were playing Mutiplayer that gives you a unfair advantage. This will be interesting if Microsft actually supports this (bluetooth needs the keyboard/Mouse profile to be able to use it, Microsoft would have to enable it, unless a 3rd party creates one).

The 360 option is a USB device with imputs for USB/PS2 cables, not bluetooth..

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey I'm back! Got banned for a month for quoting the movie Billy Madison because a forum moderator here is clueless and thought I was insulting someone...

I think that Smartglass is going to be capable enough to not need a mouse/keyboard. It works very well with Xbox 360 and Internet Explorer currently so I'm guessing they are just going to improve on that.

Guess we will find out soon enough!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeh, but in a way I would like the X1 to also be a "standalone" device. If I wanted to get my Surface to the living room table, I would just use that then, which is why I'd prefer a non-smartglass solution to make it into an "independent facebook machine" :D

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Please please please come up with a way the Surfacecovers can connect to xbox one, maybe using the Bluetooth keyboard adapter.

Edit - Scratch that - works through Smartglass

Last edited:

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
A little known fact is that there were 360 games that had keyboard support. Phantasy Star Universe (An MMO that closed down about a year ago) supported keyboards when it was running. I imagine any dev could add keyboard/mouse support if they wanted to.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If they really do that, and it becomes commonplace for keyboard users to arrive on the platform and dominate in shooters, I might have to quit LIVE. That would just be a moronic thing to have happen to people, and it would suck HARD.

On the other hand, it would have been cool if Defiance had given support for the mouse-and-keyboard setup.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I dont see why it wouldnt. IDK what kind of range you are going to get with it tho. Might not work being more then 5-10 feet away from the transceiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel