MSFT may lose me as a customer because no at&t contract 950 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of confused about this situation. You're disappointed you can't the the top-of-the-line Windows device, so you're going to get NO Windows device at all? I don't see how that makes the situation better.

Also, 2-year agreements on AT&T are a pile of crap. They've set it up so AT&T Next is a much better pricing value. I don't know your work plan's setup, so the numbers might be different. For me, we're on a 15 GB shared plan. By being on Next, each line gets $25/month off the bill. I got the 950 on AT&T 12 because of this. The phone is $29.99/month, but I get $25/month off the bill, so I'm effectively paying $4.99/month. By going with the 950 on Next, the bill has gone up $5/month. Over that 12-month period, I'll have paid $60 extra (vs. staying with an off-contract phone), and I have to turn in the 950 if I upgrade before 20 months are up.

Had I gone with the 2-year agreement, I would have lost the $25/month discount. The bill would have gone up $25/month, rather than $5/month. I would have also been paying $150 for the 950 on-contract, and I'd have had to pay that $25/month for 2 years. Over a 12-month period, that's $150 for the phone and $300 for the bill increase. That lets me keep the phone down the line, but it's $450 in the first year, vs. $60 on Next.

Like you keep saying, we don't know your plan with your work. We can't assess what you won't tell us. I took the same stance as you--that off-contract purchases just weren't financially responsible, and switching networks was logistically irrational. Still, you're being way too combative and flaunting "I know what my situation is" arrogantly, while refusing to give us that information and ask us to give you information on the situation you won't tell us about. It's insane.

At this point in the AT&T pricing structure, it's possible that your unlimited plan is screwing you. It's locking you into overpriced 2-year contracts and tying you down to a phone for 2 years. IDK what your plan is, maybe that's the cheapest route. However, an AT&T Next plan with enough data to cover you (they have a 25 GB/month option) MIGHT be cheaper than what you're living on, when factoring in your increased phone payments and lack of freedom in switching phones. Not saying it is, but it's possible, and without your willingness to tell us what your situation actually is, no one can help you for a second.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The way 2 year contracts work at at&t your monthly bill pays for the phone. Here is the rub though. Even if you pay off the phone or get a cheap crappy phone you still pay the same size bill every month. Even if you pay $0 up front you still end up paying hundreds after two years. Getting a really cheap phone is just about the worst thing you can do on a contract. An iphone 6s 16GB is $199 on contract. And hopefully I can get $650 from selling it. The choices are either do what darth furious did and get an iphone on contract and then flip it on ebay, move to andriod or iOS, or settle for a 950 and no Continuum dock.

The point being it really should not be this complicated for me to upgrade to my third flagship windows phone in 4 years. If they are jerking me around there is no way they are going to grow their market share.

I agree, but if you want it, you gotta do what you gotta do. I rather go through the extra issues to have the phone I want than to get stuck with one because of some convenience.

If you get a brand new iphone , buy a cheap unlock code, sell it. You could get enough for the 950xl and a nice micro sd card.

In the end it's your choice. I tell you I love the 950XL. And I have used an iphone 6s plus for a while. Yah the iphone 6s plus is pretty. But I also love the 950xl look. It's different and holding them side by side I realize that the 950xl looks better because I spend 99% of my time looking at the screen not the other parts. And 950XL looks like just a screen by the iphone 6s plus. It's nothing but screen. The bezel is tiny but so dark and blends so well that it looks amazing. And with the black cover it's all seamless and has this dark look like a spy. I didn't like the look of the white one.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
<insert largest pouty face and facepalm emoji possible> Buy the phone outright and be done with it. You will end up likely paying more for a branded phone anyway. This topic has been beat TO DEATH. Can we get a break from these please. MS isnt in the business of making YOU happy, they want to make the masses happy. If the biggest complaint in your life is you cant get the latest MS phone, thats a true first world problem. Whip the credit card out like a true American, go get you a phone bro'.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
This sounds to me like a money problem. If you don't have the money to spend on an unlocked 950xl, then you are in a situation that no bright minds can solve.

ATT affords you a discount being on contract for only what they carry. If they don't carry it, you're SOL. Take the discount on something else. Sell it. Take money and buy off contract the 950xl. The cheapest, easiest solution by far. You're actually saving money being grandfathered into that data plan because your usage is outside the norm. Any other person on the new plans would be paying twice as much for the same amount of data. You're already in the best situation with the lowest plan pricing possible. Use that to your advantage and buy a device with the contract discount and sell it to recoup the costs of XL.

So, the non contract option is the only option. Who's to blame? I'm sure most will agree it's the carriers. So, quit pointing blame and just do the needful.

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I talked to ATT about switching from Verizon when my contract is up in January. I told them no deal because I wanted the 950 XL. I was told that the 950 XL would be coming to ATT in December.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Since you are the one that obviously is unaware of many of at&t's unpublished plans and discounts it sound like you are the one that needs to "do your own research" before dictating to strangers what they should or should not buy.

Stay with ATT or don't it's your cash and they wont go bankrupt if you leave and honestly there are not enough people who want the phone to impact them. I left them years ago and just buy my phones outright and love my lower monthly bill with unlimited LTE data.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As painful as it was, I read through every post. What hasn't been addressed is how any of this is Microsoft's problem. Laura correctly moved this to the carrier sections because she saw the same thing I did. This is an AT&T issue and bringing it to a Windows forum to complain about it and expecting members' responses to be supportive was going to be problematic at best. It seems you have three options: (1) Ditch the contract you're presently on and get the phone you want. (2) Keep your contract and accept whatever scrub AT&T deems worthy of their largess. (3) Do nothing and enjoy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster