"Negative" usage on storage?

DerChristian

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been having the weirdest issue on my Nokia 820. In the memory overview where it shows the internal memory and the SD card usage, the space used by "other" is negative. This has been happening on the SD card as well, but now that I have removed it, it happens on the internal memory. See the screenshot below. Has anyone else run into this and knows if that is an actual problem or just a weirdness?

Attachments

• wp_ss_20121220_0002.png
    wp_ss_20121220_0002.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
LOL there's more to that problem besides it being negative.

the number is negative, it has a period instead of the comma like the other numbers on the screen..... and it has TWO periods. It's not a valid number at all! haha

DerChristian

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's actually not uncommon in german to write numbers like this. We use periods as seperators for thousands. And commas for fractions.

One million: 1.000.000
Two and a half: 2,5

So the points and commas are fine, the minus however is not.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I had it backwards when I was thinking about it haha.

Just an idea, but you should switch your phone to English and then compare. Maybe it's a problem isolated to a specific language setting?

DerChristian

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Here's a theory.. To those who are experiencing the same issues, do you have music copied to your devices and you have "connect to Xbox Music" enabled in the Music + Videos settings? This seems to really mess around with the file system, it randomly duplicates songs, some with 0KB size, it splits up albums into two, etc.. Removing all music, disabling that setting and then putting the music back on the phone has fixed the duplicates / split albums and also the negative usage on my phone. Anyone care to repeat and check if this fixes it for them too?

SHUMARKER

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue and yes, this also fixed it (temporarily) for my phone also (HTC 8S).
What seems to happen is when the SD Card is dismounted (removed) and then inserted again, the WP OS scan's through the card again and duplicates songs, photo's etc.
Same thing happens when power-off the phone and back on again.
That's why I said temporarily.
It hasn't duplicated the physical files - just seems to add them again to the music DB and photo's DB.

Very frustrating!

JNeail

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone find a fix for this yet... my Lumia 820 is driving me mad with a 32GB Sandisk card ... Photos and music duplicating in the DB but not the files... I now have 4x every photo in camera roll for over 50% of the pic and 100% of pictures I've tagged favourite ... it's driving me mad... have tried all the tricks here and the only solution seems ... don't have music on the phone and delete all your photo's and build a new collection... :-( Not a great Exp!!

AlmondAdam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I has this problem for ages, it seemed to only happen with 32GB cards. I'll admit I tried so many things to fix it I can't quite be sure what fixed it. But it was a combination of some ir maybe of all of these:

1) Plug the SD card into a PC and fully reformat it to FAT32. Then a quick format when that's done.

2) I turned all the music and video settings off except for "Show what's playing on Xbox).

3) Once it's back in the phone, I only synced music/photos through the Windows 8 app. Podcasts I did through the desktop app. Videos I did through File Explorer.

This seemed to work. And weirdly I can now sync everything through the desktop app and not get the problem. I don't know what it was that did that but hopefully this should help.

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Duplication/Corruption of Music files

Looks like turning off "Connect with Xbox Music":love: seems to have resolved the duplication and corruption problem with music files. I have a handful of unknown items - will have to check the mp3/WMA tags to see if there is a valid explanation for this, but so far...most look good. Did my transfer via Windows Explorer directly to the SD card. Kept getting a host of "could not synch" errors when I used the Windows 8/Desktop synch apps.

We will see...

Update...I checked all my MP3/WMA tags in mp3tag desktop app and found a few discrepancies - album names were inconsistent, so were some artist names. Changed all to make sure that the common values for all fields were the same for each album, then connected my phone via USB to my PC, and copied and pasted the changed albums to the phone. Checked again, no more problems. I have one entry for each album, and no duplicate songs. Also no negative space in the Other category in Phone Storage.

Key seems to be to make sure that the Music +Videos setting for "Connect with Xbox" is not turned on to make sure that Xbox does not attempt to overwrite my tag entries.

Not sure why I cannot synch using the Desktop/Windows 8 apps. For my purposes, Windows Explorer does the job better, anyway. Why mess with success?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077