New 920 in 2018

brian stabinger

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I found a NIB, unused 920 (AT&T, Yellow!) for sale, for cheap. I've never owned one (1020, though), but always loved the design. At any rate, I received it in the mail, brand-new goodness and all. What a beautifully designed phone, especially when vs the stale slabs and tired iOS devices of now.

This is such a fun phone to use! Coming from a 950/830, I was planning on updating this to W10M. After much reading (upgrading sounded iffy, and difficult), I decided to ride-out W8.1, since every app I had on my W10M device restored on the 920. Honestly, I don't totally miss W10M. Sure, Edge and Groove are better than IE and XbM. But I get Nokia Here Maps and City Lens. I forgot how great these apps were. Also going back to 8.1, I hadn't realized how fluid, fast and integrated this is vs W101M. I admit, I enjoy the Pivots of Metro. And capacitive buttons!!!

Ok, so is the platform itself hobbled? Sure. For basic functionality (which is about all I need), the 920 works just perfect. Atop that, it's just a really fun phone to use. On a recent ski trip, nearing the end of a sub-0F day, everyone else's iPhones and Samsung's were dead; batteries stripped by the cold. But this old guy was still was rocking, as if nothing was happening.

A bit of a rant, I do apologize. Just wanted to share a bit of my experience, in the off-chance someone else was pondering going down a similar path.

Cheers!

-Brian

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I found a NIB, unused 920 (AT&T, Yellow!) for sale, for cheap. I've never owned one (1020, though), but always loved the design. At any rate, I received it in the mail, brand-new goodness and all. What a beautifully designed phone, especially when vs the stale slabs and tired iOS devices of now.

This is such a fun phone to use! Coming from a 950/830, I was planning on updating this to W10M. After much reading (upgrading sounded iffy, and difficult), I decided to ride-out W8.1, since every app I had on my W10M device restored on the 920. Honestly, I don't totally miss W10M. Sure, Edge and Groove are better than IE and XbM. But I get Nokia Here Maps and City Lens. I forgot how great these apps were. Also going back to 8.1, I hadn't realized how fluid, fast and integrated this is vs W101M. I admit, I enjoy the Pivots of Metro. And capacitive buttons!!!

Ok, so is the platform itself hobbled? Sure. For basic functionality (which is about all I need), the 920 works just perfect. Atop that, it's just a really fun phone to use. On a recent ski trip, nearing the end of a sub-0F day, everyone else's iPhones and Samsung's were dead; batteries stripped by the cold. But this old guy was still was rocking, as if nothing was happening.

A bit of a rant, I do apologize. Just wanted to share a bit of my experience, in the off-chance someone else was pondering going down a similar path.

Cheers!

-Brian

The L920 was a decent phone for it's time.

I use my L920 as a back up phone and my old sorta-fixed-L930 I use a music / audiobook player.

The L920 is a tank, there are amazing stories about L920s being recovered from lakes and still running.

I have dropped mine so many times and it's never been damaged badly and for a while it had a £1 TPU gel case and that helped lol... my old L930 on the other hand... didn't fare so well especially the aluminium band.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett