New to WP8 today might be leaving already 2

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
You can create an alias at Outlook.com that sends e-mail to your hotmail account. I don't think you can change the "core" account...

You can change the core account. My Microsoft id was a hotmail address and I've changed it to an outlook address. My hotmail address is now an alias.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't ditch Gmail because it is absolutely mandatory for school, and I need to receive the emails right away. What could I do? I might not even switch to WP if this problem will persist... (plus I have my business account on Gmail, so definitely can't switch to Live/Hotmail.)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I can't ditch Gmail because it is absolutely mandatory for school, and I need to receive the emails right away. What could I do? I might not even switch to WP if this problem will persist... (plus I have my business account on Gmail, so definitely can't switch to Live/Hotmail.)

Hopefully you can get it worked out. I use Gmail on my WP and haven't noticed any issues with it. I use yahoo and hotmail also, but I can't say one is any faster than the other.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I know this is not the answer but if your are going with the Microsoft eco system, there is nothing better than Outlook.com. So much better now than gmail or yahoo and I have tried both. Outlook.com rocks!

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem with my Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail or privately hosted email accounts. They all work fine. If you're fussed over GMail not being pushed I real time I suggest you create an outlook account and have your Gmail forwarded to it. The delay should be very small.

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Created two Outlook.com's named the same as their Gmail brothers

set Gmail for forward

Lumia bings with the outlooks just seconds after the iPhone bings with the Gmails

RandomNinjaAtk

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
You could have just created one outlook address with a alias for the secondary address. This way you have only one outlook account to go to/manage.

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You could have just created one outlook address with a alias for the secondary address. This way you have only one outlook account to go to/manage.

omg

this works

add forwarding from the gmail to outlook and it totally looks like your sending gmails from outlook

still need to setup gmail on it for calander and contacts, but that can be on hourly syncs

Last edited:

Marc_With_a_C

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm having real issues with this too. Gmail just loops and hasn't updated in hours. Setup as standard account not exchange.

I currently have my yahoo address pulling into my gmail account. I can send as either account. From my android I can send as either address. I could forward everything to outlook.com but I want to ensure I retain the ability to send as @gmail.com or @yahoo.com

This is a bit of a show stopper for me.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
but does not work from the phone

still says sent from ********@outlook.com

dang

If you go into the sync settings for your phone's Outlook account, there should be a field that says "Email address". Make sure that says ****@gmail.com and any emails you send should report themselves as being from gmail.

Spence2020

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think this has something to do with Microsoft trying to decide what to put in Windows 8RT vs. Windows 8 Pro. The only problem I'm having is when I turn off the Cellular data and try to use company network that is behind a firewall. My company Exchange works fine because it's on the same side of the firewall, but my POP3 that is on the outside FAILS miserably. If I turn off the Wireless and then turn on the Cellular data the POP3 works fine. It seems to have something to do with the Corporate Network (Enterprise) and/or the Firewall that is perhaps blocking something.

I'm also using Android devices and iPad/iPhone devices and NONE of them have the problem the Windows Phone 8 (Lumia 822) has. And these problems do not persist anywhere except at work. Home network is super fast and no connection issues at all.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Nokia 820

Gmail update plain just sucks

I have tried it with it setup as exchange and the default

I have it set as items arrive

Sometimes its instant, sometimes 5 minutes, several time its been nearly 30 and I've gone and refreshed manually.

signal not the issue, 10 to 18mbps at home and 2 to 3.5mbps at work

3 days of poor email delivery reliability

the .live.co.uk one is lighting fast

just the gmail sucks

Pity Cause I do love the OS

ideas ?

Ditch Gmail and go Outlook.com much better, faster and less spam on ANY platform WP, Android or iOS.

Gh0s7

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it's google's fault.
I don't get any push notification on my iPhone, so it's not a WP problem.

I think I'll redirect all my emails to my new outlook account as soon as I have my new Lumia 820!

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Google has crippled functionality of a number of its products in Windows Phone on purpose by failing to give Microsoft access to APIs necessary to access their services well - Google is very simply trying to force people into Android. You should be complaining to Google, not here.

So, you basically have a choice:
1) Capitulate to Google and let their anti-consumer behaviors dictate your phone choice
2) Dump Google's services in protest of their purposefully poor support

Personally I'd go with 2) just because I don't want Google indirectly dictating what phone I buy and Outlook.com is way better than Gmail anyway, but YMMV.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I am starting to seriously consider going back to Android. And the more I think about it, what exactly would we not be able to do anymore if switching from WP8 to Android? I can't think of anything to be honest. And I hate to say it, but I can think of several things I can't do with WP that I can with Android. If anything keeps me on WP, it would be how much I like the 920, especially the camera, which has nothing to do with the OS. Now I have to figure out if that is enough reason to stay.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am starting to seriously consider going back to Android. And the more I think about it, what exactly would we not be able to do anymore if switching from WP8 to Android? I can't think of anything to be honest. And I hate to say it, but I can think of several things I can't do with WP that I can with Android. If anything keeps me on WP, it would be how much I like the 920, especially the camera, which has nothing to do with the OS. Now I have to figure out if that is enough reason to stay.

as someone who went back to Android yesterday and is now back on my WP8, i missed the OS fluidity. And at least i know now that Microsoft plans to support their phones for 18 months.....that alone is reason to stay with Microsoft simply because no android phone(except a nexus maybe) gets that much support except MAYBE a Samsung or Motorola product and even then...it really depends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb