Newbie Switching from Android to 1020

daviddcmd

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Help a newbie out. I'm switching from a Galaxy S4 to the 1020. In Android, via Double Twist, I could sync Itunes with my Android phone, is there something similar in WP8?

Also I am still a bit confused about Google syncing. I have my contacts and Calendar synced to Google. Can I still maintain my Google Calendar on the 1020?

Anything else I should be aware of switching from Android.

TIA.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is please do your research first to see if you will like WP. We have enough people here that didn't do this and come here raging every day over how they have been wronged.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Welcome Dave, glad to have you! You picked an interesting phone to join the community with :) Not exactly the supped-up hardware spec sheet that an Android user is accustomed to but with the camera and smooth/fluid OS it'll be a sweet ride nonetheless :)

I've read recently that Google is not currently supporting WP via their own development but we do seem to have some very enterprising devs that are writing apps that hook into the necessary APIs to allow calendar sharing/updates between Google and WP. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any but that's because I use calendaring with my Outlook.com email which also has a calendaring client; sorry I don't have more specific news for you but certainly there's someone else here that could provide an app suggestion.

As for music, if you're using a PC, what if you imported your iTunes library into Xbox Music or Windows Media Player on your PC? That might be worth a shot. Not sure how sync'ing directly from a WP device with iTunes would work.

Welcome!

Techiedude

languedoctor

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Your google calendar and contacts should sync without a problem (mine did).

As for music, I manually add and remove songs using the Win8 metro app. I haven't found anything quite as elegant as the WiFi sync that I used to have with Android, alas. If you're a fan of live performances or classical music, know that the WP music player doesn't offer gapless playback. You'll get a silent break between tracks whether you want it or not.

I'm reasonably happy with WP8. I don't find the "lack of apps" issue to be much of a problem -- though HBO Go would be nice.

The one area where, IMO, WP8 remains clearly inferior is with respect to music management and playback.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Once you add your gmail account to the device you have the option to sync your contacts as well as calendar to the phone. I'm currently an Android user and have been using the 920 and iPad as secondary devices but now that I have the 1020 I took a challenge from my boss to see if I can deal without Android for a month. It's been 2 days and I'm slowly finding usefull apps that can connect me back to my Google services. So far here are a list of Apps I use to access my Google services and if there are any other suggestions for me to try out please let me know;

GChat - For Google Talk (Hangouts is not support)
Picasa Metro - For my Google+/Picasa Photos
PicasaSync - For Auto Uploading my photos to Google+/Picasa, but right now the Auto Upload does not work and hopefully gets fixed. You have to manually upload at the moment.
Metro Talk - For Google Voice
Insync - For Google Drive/Docs
YouTube HD - For YouTube Subscriptions
Trying both Gooroovster and CloudMuzik for Google Play Music as all my music is stored in the cloud now.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys dont be afraid to change, microsoft has a nice suite for everything, office, contacts, calendar, email, skydrive. I was a google/android fanatic but then i took the challenge to try wp8 1 month ago. Not only i liked it but i switched fully to microsoft services except from gmail.
You can try to see if it works for you.

I love Google for what they done for the internet, but now there are alternatives.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Google contacts and calendar work great with the 1020. Just login and you are good.

I believe the 1020 has the new update which complies with cardav?

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I've replaced the majority of my previously used Google services with the exception of Gmail. Skydrive is a FAR better option than Google Docs and works SUPREMELY well on Windows Phone 8.

teebomus

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
You should have no problems with gmail or calendar. At least consider SkyDrive and the ms ecosystem after some time. I did and am hooked. Its incorporation with wp8 os is really nice.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers