Nokia 8 or 950xl?

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted an opinion. I'm considering purchasing the Nokia 8 but how does it compare to the Lumia 950xl?
I prefer a dual SIM (XL) but a camera is as important ( 8 ).
Does anyone here know if the XL camera is as good or just slightly below the 8?
Been trying to find comparison photos all day! Grrrr
Operating systems aside (not a big android fan but I do find a few apps on wm10 missing) and hardware differences aside.
The apps I use are very limited (FB YouTube WhatsApp Swarm IG sometimes but can anyone recommend a great wm10 app to watch movies other than Netflix? I use terrarium TV now on android) all the rest are windows based apps. Outlook OneDrive etc.
I'm solely about dual SIM camera and battery life.
Please kindly comment.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome...
If you care to look there are test photos taken with each of the phones on the Arena website.

I'm sure someone here will point you in the right direction.
Good luck there...

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Buy an android phone you will get the apps you need updated with new features

As for Nokia 8 I don't know I didn't care that much to hold it in store or read reviews

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
please read my post first.
I want to see camera Vs camera comparisons
Did you check YouTube if someone post a video though I don't think anyone going to waste his time comparing Nokia 8 to the dead lumia sidenote there is a comparison between s8note and Nokia 8 cameras

Alfabassist

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i have them both.
Used to have a 950 for a year and half and now i have a Nokia 8 since 2 weeks.
My Nokia 8 is dual sim, I think you could find it if you need this feature.
Anyway, battery life is a lot better on Nokia 8, on my very same usage it lasts almost 3 times longer (the battery on L950 is new, replaced it 3 months ago)!
The snapdragon 835 is fantastic, in terms of web navigation/time opening app there is no comparison, Nokia 8 puts L950 to shame.
Camera is close call in image quality, they have both great cameras. Nokia 8 misses manual controls (i.e.: no manual shutter time) like the Lumia and the possibility to mix flash with no flash in the editor, BUT Nokia 8 shots faster, focuses faster, gets right WB almost everytime and HDR is great and instantly processed, on L950 it needs 4-6 seconds after every shot to process it.

I would never chose the L950 if I could only take one of them, simply there is no comparison, Nokia 8 wins in every department.

I use MS apps too, sadly they work better on Android (Word, Excel, Power Point, Office lens, Outlook, Skype, OneDrive)
User experience is no match, it's really another world, an example: when browsing the web on L950 in desktop mode, edge often fails to render the site correctly, with chrome on N8, on the other hand is perfectly displayed... and of course is loaded almost instantly, while edge continues to have random freezes, despite the patches...

Last edited:

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
thank you can you post a few links to camera comparisons. I'd really appreciate that if possible. by the way are you willing to sell your L950xl?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i have them both.
Used to have a 950 for a year and half and now i have a Nokia 8 since 2 weeks.
My Nokia 8 is dual sim, I think you could find it if you need this feature.
Anyway, battery life is a lot better on Nokia 8, on my very same usage it lasts almost 3 times longer (the battery on L950 is new, replaced it 3 months ago)!
The snapdragon 835 is fantastic, in terms of web navigation/time opening app there is no comparison, Nokia 8 puts L950 to shame.
Camera is close call in image quality, they have both great cameras. Nokia 8 misses manual controls (i.e.: no manual shutter time) like the Lumia and the possibility to mix flash with no flash in the editor, BUT Nokia 8 shots faster, focuses faster, gets right WB almost everytime and HDR is great and instantly processed, on L950 it needs 4-6 seconds after every shot to process it.

I would never chose the L950 if I could only take one of them, simply there is no comparison, Nokia 8 wins in every department.

I use MS apps too, sadly they work better on Android (Word, Excel, Power Point, Office lens, Outlook, Skype, OneDrive)
User experience is no match, it's really another world, an example: when browsing the web on L950 in desktop mode, edge often fails to render the site correctly, with chrome on N8, on the other hand is perfectly displayed... and of course is loaded almost instantly, while edge continues to have random freezes, despite the patches...

I think most top end phones will take good "regular" pictures. How about in low to very poor light? Zoomed/macros etc..

... !

Alfabassist

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
thank you can you post a few links to camera comparisons. I'd really appreciate that if possible. by the way are you willing to sell your L950xl?

Sorry, i don't know direct comparisons on the web but N8 pictures are better in any condition, you could just see some samples from the 950 and decide if it's enough for you, I can't make you one at the moment because I've sent the lumia to repair (it's still under 2 years warranty) because had a bad burn in of the navigation bar, hope they will replace the screen.

That makes place for another consideration. Oled looks great for the absolute blacks but have a terrible lifespan, after some months of use they will lose brightness and color will degrade, Nokia 8 have a good 2K IPS (i know other 2 people with 950, their screen is compromised like mine, too, 3/3 i bet is what happens to every 950 at this point)

Plus, i have a 5ghz wifi, which used to be unstable on the 950, the N8 handles it perfectly.

I'm in Europe and have a single sim model, if you are in the USA maybe shipping will cost more than the phone, so i bet I'm not selling it. :)

Timbre70: "is the Nokia 8 dual sim 4G+3G voice or 4G+2G only? Reason for asking is my area, the 2G network had been decommissioned."

4G + 3G, both sims can go up to 4G, but you can have only one 4G enabled at the same time, the second one in that case will stop to 3G

Timbre70: "Nokia camera ui will be back"

That's some good news, i loved it :)

Last edited:

Alfabassist

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I think most top end phones will take good "regular" pictures. How about in low to very poor light? Zoomed/macros etc..

... !

N8 camera is top cameraphone level in any condition, macros are amazing,in very low light is a little bit worse than some other top camephones (for example HTC U11) without HDR because N8 misses some details in shadow areas, but with HDR enabled it obtains very good results with lot of details, so no problems.

In addition, N8 has a good front camera with autofocus, which seems to be a unique feature, no other current flagship has this.

Last edited:

Henry Linc

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
I'm currently using Lumia 950. From my experience, I suggest you to buy the Nokia 8. Encountered a lot of problem in Lumia 950, Camera app sometimes (I think always) freeze, phone become unusable. Really frustrating. Even though the camera is really great, but imagine if you counter this kind of problem in the middle of really important event, and the fix is always soft reset the phone.

Browsing on Edge is terrible. The phone often got heat if I keep browsing for more than 5 min, and then the phone just hang, just like that. Just pray for the Edge to not to crash.

Photos app is so terrible, seriously. It load pictures really slow, sometimes doesn't even load at all. There was a time when I took some pictures, then the camera app crash. So I just open the photos app to view the pictures and guess what. It's not there. I closed the app and open it again, did this a few time, still doesn't show the pictures. I restart the phone, then it's there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124