Nokia Lumia 520 or 521? Both $50 on Walmart.com!!!

ColbyJvonBrown

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
What's the difference between these 2 besides the carrier's I've heard one has 4g while the other only has 3g? Are these good phone's? I'm coming from a moto g (traded it in for a galaxy tab 3 a couple of months back) so I'm used to android on phone and tablet and iOS because we use iPads, and all sort or laptops with windows 7 enterprise and professional that were flashed from windows 8. I also have an Xbox 360 so this would be great but let me here what you think of me joining the window phone community?:-D :-D

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
re:

IMO, the windows phone platform is excellent and Im a happy iPad Air owner. I never was into "smart" phones and always used a flip/tracfone. This year we decided to get rid of our home phone and go all cell. We dont do contracts either.

Anyways, the WP interface is excellent and very smooth. It doesnt feel as bloated or kludgey as android. Its not any more slick than Apples interface but isnt as locked down either. I really like it! There is a lack of apps at this time though but Im not a big phone game player or any of that so apps arent a big concern for me. They might be for others though.

As for the phones? The Nokia phones are very high quality and even my entry-level 520 has impressed me with its performance. So, coming from a guy that never had any cell phone allegiences - the windows/Nokia combination is hard to beat, especially if you dont want contracts. The entry level Nokia phones blow away the entry level Android phones most of which I found to be pure garbage. And, other than the ancient an outdated iPhone 4, Apple doesnt have any affordable phones.

Give it a try - you *might* be impressed! :wink:

ColbyJvonBrown

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
re:

Well the moto g was the best phone i have ever owned, and it wasnt slow because it didnt have a ui over it like samsung!! I'm still deciding if i want the Nokia Lumia 520 on AT&T or i might go with the Moto G this time on Boost Mobile not Verizon, because their new pla s are better than verizon,straight talk,virgin mobile, and any prepaid carrier is offering right now! The all plans have unlimited talk and text with base plan at $35 with 1gig high speed data then it gets throttled (and videos are always played through 3g) then $45 with 5gig and $55 with 10gig!!! So this is better than the family plans being offered on all carriers!! This seem very appealing!! But i just decided that ill get both the nokia lumia and moto g one for wifi and other as daily phone!! Wish me luck!!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-19-13-24-56-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-19-13-24-56-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2014-09-19-13-32-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-19-13-32-16.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 7

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

the 520 and 521 are pretty much the same except for the carriers so pick according to your carrier. The 521 is longer than the 520 so you can't use a 520 case.

If you can swing for the 635 on sale (it was $79 earlier), that's much more future proof and much faster. I have the 521. It was great for its time but Windows Phone 8.1 is not that great on it (Windows Phone 8 was terrific on the 520/521 but WP8.1 has a ton more features and really needs a more powerful phone). Cortana is too CPU intensive for the phone.

If you do go with the 520 or 521 at this point, try to limit the number of live tiles on your start screen. That will really bog down the animations. Don't fill your built-in storage too much. Keep your major apps on your built-in storage and everything else on your microSD card. Get the microSD card!!!

I'm loving my Icon phone which is my primary phone. But the 521 is great as an MP3 player and GPS for when I go biking.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

The 520 and a 521 are pretty much the same phone and nearly identical in performance. The 520 is AT&T's version and the 521 is T-Mobile's version. The screen sizes are the same but the bezel on the 521 is wider at the bottom. One nitpicky thing when I compared the two is the fm radio on the 520 picked up weaker stations better than the 521. I also agree with onlysublime that you should get the 635 if you are going to load up the phone with apps and are willing to spend $50-80 more. The 520/521 run on an older dual core cpu and you can feel it in the slow response times.

If you buy the phone from Wal-mart, you can get Wal-mart brand phone plans which are cheaper than the no-contract plans from AT&T or T-Mobile but you have to buy a Wal-mart sim which will add another $25 to the overall cost.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

If you want the best of both worlds get AT&T locked phones (which are much cheaper); but use them on Consumer Cellular. Consumer Cellular uses AT&T phones or unlocked GSM phones but uses AT&T's cell network. If you provide the phone they provide the sim at NO charge and there is no ativation fee. You can even use your number you had with AT&T. I just changed from AT&T to CC and am paying 100$ less a month but getting AT&T's great network and using their phones. What more could you ask for, plus no contracts.

fishx

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

I saw a 520 at Target the other day for $20.00 so I thought I'd grab it to see what a Windows phone is all about. Been messing with it for about a week now. Seems like a very solid device and the operating system is very smooth. Great GPS system. Coming from Android there are three things that I don't like about windows: Not having multiple home screens, lack of true one touch dialing/texting and no notification led. I'm also not crazy about the tile system but could get used to it. My plan is to get the Moto G LTE and use the 520 for backup on Cricket.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

Short answer:

520 is for AT&T
521 is for T-Mobile

521 is slightly taller meaning 520 cases might not fit and 520 colored backs can't be swapped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963