Nokia slide-out keyboard?

QuantumSicari

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had my LG Quantum for over a year now (even before the NoDo update) and i've always loved it, especially because of its slide-out keyboard. But with all these new phones coming out (nokias in particular obviously) with amazing new hardware i see that qwerty slide out keyboards are getting no love. I really really hope that nokia comes out with at least a decent slide out qwerty phone with a front facing camera, especially with the Apollo update coming soon and the rumors that older phones wont be able to fully take advantage of the updates. As much as i love the look of other nokia phones i just really love having a slide-out keyboard and don't think i can stick with just a touchscreen.

tl;dr -
16896164.jpg

P.S. I know Nokia is saying they're going to make "blackberry" type phones but i specifically want a slide out keyboard :dry

/rant

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Portrait sliders are my favorite form factor. You are describing my dream device here. I was seriously thinking Dell V.P. for a while. There was even a rumor about this time last year of a Mango flavored Samsung Portrait slider with the same body style as the Samsung Propel, only larger. (SGH-i677 was it's model number. Some rumors than.... nothing.)

I truly want some form factor options. I know touchscreens are 70% of sales or so, but what about the other 30% or so? I know people who enjoy my Focus S but will not give up their keyboard.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Coming from Palm, I thought a physical keyboard was a must for me. With bigger screens it was easy to adjust to an onscreen keyboard. I don't have any problem with onscreen keyboards. They just take a little time to get use to.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree on screen keyboards are actually easier to use than tactile ones. The one on WP is pretty precise too or you could use Swype for Android devices. Either way, keypads are a thing of the past. Typing on smartphone is actually fastest using various forms of predictive text.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
But with all these new phones coming out (nokias in particular obviously) with amazing new hardware i see that qwerty slide out keyboards are getting no love.

Once you get to around 4" it's pretty much a wash. Above 4" the slide-out keyboards are simply too big to comfortably type on, while the portrait-style screen keyboards are now big enough to quickly and accurately type on. Best phone keyboards I've ever used were the physical keyboard on the HTC Arrive, the soft keyboard on the HTC Titan and the soft keyboard on the Galaxy Nexus (4.5" android phone). Since the soft keyboards are lighter and the big screen has plenty of other advantages I've come around to preferring the larger format softkey phones.

Interestingly, the Galaxy Nexus has taken the "soft key" thing to the next level. Even the main keys on the front, the ones that are normally physical keys or capacitive keys, are simply drawn on the screen by the OS. If you're watching a movie or doing something that can take advantage of the extra screen then the keys can disappear, giving the app the full screen similar to the way Win8 Metro does.

JustinMSalvato

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Physical qwerty keyboards aren't dead!

I have a Dell Venue Pro with a 4.1" screen and STILL prefer the physical keypad to the onscreen one.

I want a Nokia Lumia with a physical portrait slide-out keyboard.

Now make it happen Nokia ;)

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
On the other hand, at 3.6" or even 3.8", a slide-out keyboard is fantastic. The WP keyboard is accurate but just plain too small at that size; I'd hit neighboring keys a lot on the Trophy I briefly owned. Love my HTC 7 Pro for its slide-out keyboard :)

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The thought of a side slider from nokia is almost to amazing to even think about. I would ****ing kill for one. But sence we are comming closer to Apollo, I got the feeling that we are not going to see alot more W7P. I think we will have to wait for Apollo to come out before we see a real 'mass" of new devicese. I really hope and pray that a few come out with a side slider. I would kill from a driod 1-4 tyip of phone for windows 7 phone/Apollo. Really wierd that they're are none yet. We have 2 htc 7 pro and the LG Quantum, we need alot more, in a big way and fast.

QuantumSicari

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just because i have bigger fingers, but it becomes a hassle trying to use the touch screen keyboard after a while for me. Maybe i should try it on bigger devices. I'll definitely be one of the first ones to try the Lumia 900 when it comes out.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Having started out with palm IIIc and then npocket pcs and the palm treo series I was definitely a pysical keyboarder and did n't want to change but the treo pro died and and I got a pore and loved it but really wanted a larger screen and got the tilt2 and rarely used the slideout keyboard and it was a drag toting it around when what I really wanted was to have the whole device in the top third where the screen was. I would go back to a treo styled device but would prefer to stick with the on screen keyboard. Unless the titan II or mendel wow me before I can get a lumia on May 6 its a lumia 900 unless I try to wait for an apollo device with expandable sd card storage.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just because i have bigger fingers, but it becomes a hassle trying to use the touch screen keyboard after a while for me. Maybe i should try it on bigger devices. I'll definitely be one of the first ones to try the Lumia 900 when it comes out.

Try the HTC Titan (with AT&T). I could two-thumb type as fast on its touchscreen as I can on the dedicated keyboard of my HTC 7 Pro. The 4.3" Samsung Focus S (same size as the Lumia 900) wasn't much worse.

normbeers

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
On the other hand, at 3.6" or even 3.8", a slide-out keyboard is fantastic. The WP keyboard is accurate but just plain too small at that size; I'd hit neighboring keys a lot on the Trophy I briefly owned. Love my HTC 7 Pro for its slide-out keyboard :)
I totally agree! The HTC 7 Pro is awesome. I really hope they follow up with the next generation of that phone (or Nokia does it for them). The landscape slide-out keyboard is such a superior design (for my needs anyway)--a deal-breaker no matter what the other features.

zyriak

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been waiting and waiting...but it seems like I have to wait til Apollo for such a device.

I have the N900 now and a similair one in design but with Windows Phone (and of course top-notch hardware) would be my dream device!

device1.jpg

I pray Nokia will release such a phone!

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been waiting and waiting...but it seems like I have to wait til Apollo for such a device.

I have the N900 now and a similair one in design but with Windows Phone (and of course top-notch hardware) would be my dream device!

Click to view quoted image

I pray Nokia will release such a phone!

O man I hope so to so bad. I want it to be Nokia, or samsung, and I hoping more the a Nokia. Something just like that pic, a 7 pro tyip phone.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Try working on a Word document when half of the screen is used by the soft keyboard. That experience sucks. Keyboards are the only way to go for me. I do believe there will be WP8 devices with sliders because of the business focus, as others have stated here. I have until April 2013 with my Quantum, so my chances are pretty good. If no new ones are out then I will enjoy my Quantum indefinitely.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at this phone online and it looks BEAST.

Nokia Lumia 1000 Concept Design Featuring PureView And Windows 8 | Diggitech.com : Digital Technology

Nokia Lumia 1000 and Windows 8

https://www.google.com/search?q=nok....,cf.osb&fp=cfb0a968c1b32871&biw=1920&bih=981

Im all ready getting pissed off becuase from what I can see they say its going to only one phone comany and its not AT&T. I know a lot of you probily feel the same way I do, we've been *****ing for the last 6 months that WP makings come out with some side sliders for the keyboard lovers like myself. They better share this model with all 4 mayjor US phone companys and atleast make a 4g unlocked version. With Dell out of the phone market for now and probily atleast anuther 10 months, its up to Nokia and Samsung to come threw with some side sliders for apollo. I hope they read this so they can see how bad some of us are longer for some new phones from them to our liking.

Speedysloth

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Here's a thought that will probably get a few laughs but may actually work; seeings that Microsoft already owns the brand (and therefore the designs, patents etc.) why not use the Sidekick concept to make a new phone produced by Nokia instead of sharp, Samsung et al?

I don't believe that Danger really exists any more as anything more than a piece of paper in the back of a Microsoft filing cabinet so there needn't be fear that they would repeat the mistakes of the past and at the end of the day, love them or loathe them everyone knows what a Sidekick is; it's pointless just let the social brand awareness fade away, use the agreement with Nokia to get them to produce a new (decent!) version based on WP instead of the crappy Java OS they used to run and we could see all the old SideKick fans come over to WP and get a half decent WPhone with a hardware keyboard.

Mocked this up in 15 mins in gimp so go easy on me but this is the sort of thing I mean

WinKick.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Try working on a Word document when half of the screen is used by the soft keyboard. That experience sucks. Keyboards are the only way to go for me. I do believe there will be WP8 devices with sliders because of the business focus, as others have stated here. I have until April 2013 with my Quantum, so my chances are pretty good. If no new ones are out then I will enjoy my Quantum indefinitely.
Amen on that. I'm a webOS refugee which is why I have the DVP. Even my previous company-issued phone was a portrait slider (BB Torch). I've tried in vain to adapt to the onscreen keyboard but it's not working. It's bearable in landscape mode but then you can only see a line of text at a time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99