Opinion - having photos on phone vs in cloud?

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Had a question for us faithful WP users, and those coming back to WP from android, I have a new Lumia 640, and i am debating whether to put my pictures (saved, taken, favorites) and putting them on a new sd card, or just using the various cloud services. I am heavily invested in google photos after using android the past few months, and then i have plenty of pics in onedrive, so i really would like opinions on what you all do, to have that "master" picture library and where do you keep it, phone, or cloud?

thanks!!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The ones that are really important to me are on my computer.

I do back up to the cloud and that is secondary storage. I purge my cloud on occasion and on my SD card quite regularly.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Had a question for us faithful WP users, and those coming back to WP from android, I have a new Lumia 640, and i am debating whether to put my pictures (saved, taken, favorites) and putting them on a new sd card, or just using the various cloud services. I am heavily invested in google photos after using android the past few months, and then i have plenty of pics in onedrive, so i really would like opinions on what you all do, to have that "master" picture library and where do you keep it, phone, or cloud?

thanks!!
No brainer. In the cloud. SD cards are notorious for failing in cell phones. NOTORIOUS for failure out of the blue.

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
The ones that are really important to me are on my computer.

I do back up to the cloud and that is secondary storage. I purge my cloud on occasion and on my SD card quite regularly.

​same here, i guess i should add, i love the photos app, and the rotations, i guess i could just have copies of the ones i want to rotate on an sd card.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No brainer. In the cloud. SD cards are notorious for failing in cell phones. NOTORIOUS for failure out of the blue.

You been burned bbz?

I haven't had a computer meltdown in forever - that's my primary vault now. I know it could go wonky... That's what the cloud is for.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The cloud. As mentioned above, SD cards are notorious for failing.

My problem with one drive is that I cant send pictures on WhatsApp, from one drive, on windows phone.

This feature was available in the beginning but then a WhatsApp update broke it :(

Also wish we had the option to save pictures received from WhatsApp, by default, one drive.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You been burned bbz?

I haven't had a computer meltdown in forever - that's my primary vault now. I know it could go wonky... That's what the cloud is for.

Oh yeah. As recently as this week. A few days ago in fact. My phone was doing a resume of pictures on my OneDrive and the phone rebooted. When it came back up, it was doing a scan of the sd card. Never saw that ever happen before. When it finished, it suggested I replace my sd card. Not reformat it. Replace it. I ignored it for now and somehow it seems to be ok for now. Then I remembered all those articles I read in the past as to why phone makers don't build phones with sd slots and the failure rates of these things. I became a believer.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I keep everything everywhere, but not because of a matter of which is more reliable. Storage is cheap now, and I want to be able to have my pictures when I don't have internet access. Plus OneDrive basically syncs my photos everywhere and gives me access to them even when I'm on someone else's computer.

NOTORIOUS for failure

Maybe I'm behind the times, but I've never even heard of an SD card failing IRL. Maybe some cheap generic ones, but the name brands tend to have more behind them than just the logo when it comes to digital storage and writable media.
Hard drives do fail, but flash memory ...?

And at the end of the day, it's all stored on some piece of hardware somewhere. Surely it's in some redundant setup if you're talking about the cloud so that it won't* be lost, but why not just do your own RAID array at home if you're that paranoid about it?
*nothing is certain

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I keep everything everywhere, but not because of a matter of which is more reliable. Storage is cheap now, and I want to be able to have my pictures when I don't have internet access. Plus OneDrive basically syncs my photos everywhere and gives me access to them even when I'm on someone else's computer.

Maybe I'm behind the times, but I've never even heard of an SD card failing IRL. Maybe some cheap generic ones, but the name brands tend to have more behind them than just the logo when it comes to digital storage and writable media.
Hard drives do fail, but flash memory ...?

And at the end of the day, it's all stored on some piece of hardware somewhere. Surely it's in some redundant setup if you're talking about the cloud so that it won't* be lost, but why not just do your own RAID array at home if you're that paranoid about it?
*nothing is certain
I don't care if you've never heard of a failing sd card to be quite honest with you and where did you get I was paranoid? I think the cloud is the best option and to you it spells paranoia? You got raid and store everything you have everywhere that would accept you, but I'm paranoid? BTW, I don't do generics as a matter of course. I've been around and learned a few things so don't talk like we were sitting here waiting on your formula for success. Besides, its not that serious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss