(Optimistic Surface Phone Theory) Could it be possible that Lumia is for low/mid range and Surface i

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
But people knew about the Surface. That wasn't the issue. The issue was that the product failed to meet the requirements it was being marketed for. The SP3 was the first version that actually fit the mold it was being marketed by so its doing well.

At the end of the day, marketing only goes so far, the product has to take it the rest of the way.
No that's not always the case, people have bought into crap products that just had brilliant marketing. Like the iPhone 6 for example still only has 1 GB of RAM and only an 8MP camera (although that doesn't make it crap) it just proves that if your marketing is elite and your brand reputation/status is elite then you can slack off and sell uninspired phone after uninspired phone. Nokia busted their butts designing bold and revolutionary phones like the 1020 and 1520 but since their marketing prowess and brand loyalty had a falling off in the US it just didn't matter.

Product quality matters just not as much as marketing I'm afraid.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
No that's not always the case, people have bought into crap products that just had brilliant marketing. Like the iPhone 6 for example still only has 1 GB of RAM and only an 8MP camera (although that doesn't make it crap) it just proves that if your marketing is elite and your brand reputation/status is elite then you can slack off and sell uninspired phone after uninspired phone. Nokia busted their butts designing bold and revolutionary phones like the 1020 and 1520 but since their marketing prowess and brand loyalty had a falling off in the US it just didn't matter.

Product quality matters just not as much as marketing I'm afraid.

The iPhone 6 is a horrible example of what you are trying to prove. Even though it's not my cup of tea, the iPhone 6 is a great phone. It's not a piece of crap just marketed well. It's a solid phone. And just because the specs don't match the latest and great Android phone, doesn't make it a peice of crap. In fact I bet the iPhone 6 performs better than all the current Android devices even with it having lower specs.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone 6 is a horrible example of what you are trying to prove. Even though it's not my cup of tea, the iPhone 6 is a great phone. It's not a piece of crap just marketed well. It's a solid phone. And just because the specs don't match the latest and great Android phone, doesn't make it a peice of crap. In fact I bet the iPhone 6 performs better than all the current Android devices even with it having lower specs.

Are you kidding? There's no way you can be serious or maybe you're just arguing for the sake of it. Just look up all the iPhone 6 rumors and hype leading up to the release. Everyone in the Apple tech journalism community was expecting wireless charging, waterproofing, a camera more similar to the MP found in the Galaxy S5, the fabled "Sapphire glass" was supposed to be revolutionary and it turned out to be no more scratch resistant than Gorilla Glass 2 never mind GG3. In other words everyone expected it to match and/or surpass its chief rival the Samsung Galaxy S5, and if dropped the ball on that promise.

I'm also aware that the 1GB of RAM is sufficient to run iOS8 smoothly, Windows Phone is also an OS that runs well on lower levels of RAM. Do you think if the upcoming 930 & 1520's successor only has 1GB or RAM and an 8MP camera is going to fly with anyone here on this site? What would the problem be? We know WP runs smooth on lower hardware specs, so many people would leave WP if it acted like Apple. The problem with the iPhone6 is that it's got the guts of a mid range phone but is priced like a luxury flagship. I could lay down $1200 bucks (yes 1200) for an unlocked 128 GB iPhone 6+ and at that price I don't get anything more than a base model iPhone6 beyond the storage space and screen size/resolution. That's $600 extra dollars for only .8 inches of screen and 112 extra GB's over the base model.

Apple clearly made the iPhone6/6+ as cheaply as possible so they could have ridiculously high profit margins per device sold, and why wouldn't they? People will still buy them at an absurd rate because Apple's brand loyalty and marketing is second to none. Proving my argument that unimpressive products can sell if the right person is selling it.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding? There's no way you can be serious or maybe you're just arguing for the sake of it. Just look up all the iPhone 6 rumors and hype leading up to the release. Everyone in the Apple tech journalism community was expecting wireless charging, waterproofing, a camera more similar to the MP found in the Galaxy S5, the fabled "Sapphire glass" was supposed to be revolutionary and it turned out to be no more scratch resistant than Gorilla Glass 2 never mind GG3. In other words everyone expected it to match and/or surpass its chief rival the Samsung Galaxy S5, and if dropped the ball on that promise.

I'm also aware that the 1GB of RAM is sufficient to run iOS8 smoothly, Windows Phone is also an OS that runs well on lower levels of RAM. Do you think if the upcoming 930 & 1520's successor only has 1GB or RAM and an 8MP camera is going to fly with anyone here on this site? What would the problem be? We know WP runs smooth on lower hardware specs, so many people would leave WP if it acted like Apple. The problem with the iPhone6 is that it's got the guts of a mid range phone but is priced like a luxury flagship. I could lay down $1200 bucks (yes 1200) for an unlocked 128 GB iPhone 6+ and at that price I don't get anything more than a base model iPhone6 beyond the storage space and screen size/resolution. That's $600 extra dollars for only .8 inches of screen and 112 extra GB's over the base model.

Apple clearly made the iPhone6/6+ as cheaply as possible so they could have ridiculously high profit margins per device sold, and why wouldn't they? People will still buy them at an absurd rate because Apple's brand loyalty and marketing is second to none. Proving my argument that unimpressive products can sell if the right person is selling it.

There is nothing crappy about the iPhone 6. I personally don't like it, but to pretend that the iPhone 6 is some POS that only sells because of marketing is ludicrous. And you know what's funny, despite all those shortfalls you point out, I would still take an iPhone 6 over an S5 any day. The S5 is ugly as hell which is reason enough for me not to buy it. Oh ya, and the S5 met just as much disappointment when it was launched.

There is so much more to buying a device than just comparing specs. That's what kills me about Android fans, that's all they care about, specs and features. Who cares if its a pain in the *** to use, lags like hell, or is uglier than sin, it's got a zillion features I'll never use and can't figure out how to use anyways!

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing crappy about the iPhone 6. I personally don't like it, but to pretend that the iPhone 6 is some POS that only sells because of marketing is ludicrous. And you know what's funny, despite all those shortfalls you point out, I would still take an iPhone 6 over an S5 any day. The S5 is ugly as hell which is reason enough for me not to buy it. Oh ya, and the S5 met just as much disappointment when it was launched.

There is so much more to buying a device than just comparing specs. That's what kills me about Android fans, that's all they care about, specs and features. Who cares if its a pain in the *** to use, lags like hell, or is uglier than sin, it's got a zillion features I'll never use and can't figure out how to use anyways!
First of all I'm not an Android fan, I'm actually a former iOS user who left because Apple got so stale and boring. I don't think you even read my reply in its entirety. The top line iPhone6+ is $1200 that's American dollars not Mexican pesos. For that price I can buy a 256GB Surface Pro 3 with an i5 processor. You cannot even begin to tell me that a $1200 smartphone should only come with 1GB of RAM and a camera that's inferior to my old Nokia 928.
"There's so much more to a device than comparing specs" ya if I paid four figures for a phone that's comparable to Windows Phones and Androids from 2012 I'd be trying to rationalize it too.

Apple kept their production costs low by only offering one RAM size across all models and one 8MP camera across all models for maximized profits because people like you are now hypnotized by the Apple brand name. It's beyond any reason to say the $1,200 6+ model gives me any value for the buck. That's before factoring in Apple's proprietary accessories and insurance plan. So $1500 bucks later I have a phone that's inferior to a $499 Nokia 830.

Last edited:

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
First of all I'm not an Android fan, I'm actually a former iOS user who left because Apple got so stale and boring. I don't think you even read my reply in its entirety. The top line iPhone6+ is $1200 that's American dollars not Mexican pesos. For that price I can buy a 256GB Surface Pro 3 with an i5 processor. You cannot even begin to tell me that a $1200 smartphone should only come with 1GB of RAM and a camera that's inferior to my old Nokia 928.
"There's so much more to a device than comparing specs" ya if I paid four figures for a phone that's comparable to Windows Phones and Androids from 2012 I'd be trying to rationalize it too.

Apple kept their production costs low by only offering one RAM size across all models and one 8MP camera across all models for maximized profits because people like you are now hypnotized by the Apple brand name. It's beyond any reason to say the $1,200 6+ model gives me any value for the buck. That's before factoring in Apple's proprietary accessories and insurance plan. So $1500 bucks later I have a phone that's inferior to a $499 Nokia 830.

Well said. I hope friends will understand.