Planning To Upgrade from L620 to ? L640XL LTE? L650? L930?

Gruu

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Before my L620 which I bought two years or two and a half years ago, I had an Nokia 5130 xpressmusic. Never been fond of Android, I fell in love with this operating system at first glimpse when I watched the whole Nokia Lumia ad on television with TEED - Garden song; Catchy, the clean operating system with the level of customization which is just perfect; Spendid. Bought the L620 with my savings after working part time for 6 months or so (I was a student).

Now fast forward to two years later, I am a full time working Banker with stable salary and willingness to buy a new Lumia device (Or even some other WP) {Please don't troll and recommend an Android device} for around INR 22000 ($330).

My L620 is starting to show that its days are over. The sim slot is slightly broken, the volume button have been repaired by local technician for the 5th time, and some cracks on the shell.

In a dilemma right now whether which W10M device to go for right now. I am from India, and devices like Mi4 LTE version aren't available here so that I can port W10M into that beast. L640XL seems under powered (also the internal 8 GB ROM seems not so upgrady) and so does L650. Not willing to buy super costly L950/XL. L1520 prices won't come down even though the thing is 2 years old its priced around 750$ (Rs. 49,999).

So my final options seems to be:

1) L640XL LTE ( I love big screens)
2) L1520 (God, I wish I get a cheaper used device)
3) L650 (Because its the latest with 16 GB ROM)
4) L930 (Can give my budget a small kick to go higher, but is the device still good?)

Recommend more if you guys can? Help me out.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well people still recommend 930, but I never owned it so I can't say anything about it other than that.
I do own 640 XL LTE though and I am very satisfied with it so far. The battery is great, I like the screen, it's working quite fast though it is obviously still quite a bit slower than 950 and 950 XL. Here's my review of 640 XL LTE if it helps you.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like the 640xl would be an ideal choice to me.

You like the big screen, and the 650 and 930 both have smaller screens. You will get more ROM with the 650 but at the loss of a bigger screen. The 1520 might be too big. The 930 is good, but there's no Glance if you would care about that.

At the expense of ROM, if not the XL, then the 930 would be a nice choice. Apparently, it runs decent on W10M.

Gruu

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
@kaktus1389

Thanks mate, I read your review about the L640 XL you own, we share our likeness for big screens. In my case I would like the big screen for comic reading experience.

Other than the battery and screen satisfaction, I have always been in doubt that will the L640 XL be enough for the future W10M updates? For around like 1.5 or 2 years. As a poor wise man lol I don't prefer to buy a new phone unless the old one is completely destroyed. Right now, my L620 is breaking slowly, the nature and environment is breaking my L620 like how Bane broke Batman. Shell is slightly broken, and sim card compartment too.

I wish there was a L650 XL that would come out with a 16 GB ROM and maybe a better Chip SOC before my phone breaks down.

Thanks for the reply and the review. Cheers.

Gruu

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like the 640xl would be an ideal choice to me.

You like the big screen, and the 650 and 930 both have smaller screens. You will get more ROM with the 650 but at the loss of a bigger screen. The 1520 might be too big. The 930 is good, but there's no Glance if you would care about that.

At the expense of ROM, if not the XL, then the 930 would be a nice choice. Apparently, it runs decent on W10M.

@libra89

I would really love 16 GB ROM, but can't handle small screen anymore. Would like something huge in my hands (no homo), as I have been using a 3.8 inch screen device since like two years, and the struggle to read comics on L620 was hellish.

If L1520 is too big so be it, the biggest screen will give best experience while reading comics. The only problem in L1520 is that it will cost me a kidney in India, Rs. 49999. I am puzzled about why the prices never come down for this beast.

The minimum requirement of a W10M according to the latest article have become 1 GB RAM and 8 GB ROM. L640XL is exactly that (so are most of the Microsoft phones). Do you think the L640XL will give around 1.5 or 2 years of run with regular updates from Microsoft?

Thanks for the reply mate.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
@libra89

I would really love 16 GB ROM, but can't handle small screen anymore. Would like something huge in my hands (no homo), as I have been using a 3.8 inch screen device since like two years, and the struggle to read comics on L620 was hellish.

If L1520 is too big so be it, the biggest screen will give best experience while reading comics. The only problem in L1520 is that it will cost me a kidney in India, Rs. 49999. I am puzzled about why the prices never come down for this beast.

The minimum requirement of a W10M according to the latest article have become 1 GB RAM and 8 GB ROM. L640XL is exactly that (so are most of the Microsoft phones). Do you think the L640XL will give around 1.5 or 2 years of run with regular updates from Microsoft?

Thanks for the reply mate.

You're welcome. Hmm, I think it should be okay. Can't forget that some of these older Windows phones, have lasted for years. If the 1520 is that much, I can imagine that the new flagships are probably even more expensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa