Please make a system repair CD and a Rescue drive!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi There! Please make a system repair CD and a system rescue drive now! It might make your life a lot less stressful.
Please move or delete if inappropriate.:wink: I have seen so many occasions where this might help a user recover from a disaster!
Here's how! How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8 or 10
Using a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc

A recovery drive will normally not be necessary. If your computer fails to boot several times, Windows 8 or 10 will automatically bring up the advanced startup options, which allows you to troubleshoot and fix it.

If Windows can’t even bring up these tools, you’ll need the recovery drive, system repair disc, or a Windows 8 or 10 installation disc. Insert the recovery media into your computer and restart. Your computer should boot from the recovery media automatically. (If it doesn’t, you may need to change its boot order.)

Here's a great link you should make yourself familiar with. Please pay attention to option 6. Not many techs know this option exists.:wink:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
This is actually a good recommendation, I have the Acronys True Image doing daily (yes daily) backups of my whole HDD:0 and two times saves me to lose a lot.

Also the recovery from Windows is store in some CDs

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
This is actually a good recommendation, I have the Acronys True Image doing daily (yes daily) backups of my whole HDD:0 and two times saves me to lose a lot.

Also the recovery from Windows is store in some CDs
Hi friend! Having a back up image of your OS can make you fearless. I use Macrium Reflect. You are very wise to make regular back up images. I don't make one daily. Mostly before Patch Tuesday or before I make major changes.:wink:
Thanks for your reply!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! This thread has had 66 views so far and I'm wondering how many even noticed option #6. How to boot into Advanced Startup when the other options aren't available.
Here's the short version. Shut down your PC down three times, and you should go into Advanced Startup on the 3rd attempt!:wink: Here's screen shot of option #6 in the tutorial! Keep clicking on the image and it will get larger so you can read the fine print. Had to do it this way to get it all in my screen shot!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 18

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi There! now that you have a system repair disk and a rescue drive, put this in your arsenal. Go here and create a media creation tool.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ftware-download%2Fwindows10%2F&token=WjGrUsPJ You will need this tool to perform a in-place repair.
Here's what a in-place repair can do; and you will keep all your apps, which is better then a reset-refresh IMHO. This is what I would try first if I had issues I couldn't solve. You have to be able to boot into windows to perform a in-place repair.
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.
Here's how to perform a in-place repair and also how to create the media creation tool!
How to repair Windows 10 with in-place upgrade. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos
When you have the MCT open, here's what you will see. just click on Setup and follow the instructions. This will take a long time to complete and your PC will restart several times. Some times it will seem to be frozen. Be patient and let it complete! Hopefully you will keep every thing and all your issues will be solved.
If anyone has any thing to add, please do so. I have used this in-place repair several times and it has always worked well for me!
Hope this helps some one understand a W10 in-place repair and solves your problems.
PS When I create the Media creation Tool, I prefer a 8GB PNY USB flash.

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi There! While I have your attention, please make sure you have your restore to a earlier time turned on. They are turned off by default. Why MS decided to do that, I have no clue. Type Restore in search. Click on Create a Restore point. Click Configure. Turn on system protection.

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 3

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I have one more thing for you to do so you will be fearless like me. If you don't want to learn how to do a back up image of your OS with a 3rd party program;, at least use the W10 feature to create a back up image that you can use in Advanced Start up. Here's a excellent tutorial from WC that will show you how.
How to make a full backup of a Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 PC | Windows Central
You will use this image when you use the Advanced Startup mode! When you're in the Advanced Startup Mode click on this option!
This will restore your PC exactly like it was the day you create the image. Now you are fearless like me.:wink:

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I use all the above methods to recover my Windows 10. I wanted to share them with everyone here, whom might not be aware of the many ways W10 provides you to recover from a issue your are having with your computer! I wanted to try to put them all in one place. If you have more to add, you would be appreciated.
I love passing forward things I have learned from others.:excited: If I think of more,I'll ad them here!:wink:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi there! Here's a neat little way to use your Media Creation Tool to boot from in Windows10 and restore your OS through the Advanced Startup mode. To get to Advanced Startup Mode, Type recovery options in search
You shouldn't have to change the boot order if you use option #1. That will save you some steps! .:wink: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21756-usb-drive-boot-windows-10-a.html
To Boot from a USB Drive from within Windows 10

1. Connect a bootable USB drive to a USB port on your PC.

2. Boot to Advanced startup options from within Windows 10.

3. After the computer restarts, click/tap on the Use a device option. (see screenshot below)

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
You don't have to have all the answers, you just need to know where to find them. I tried to find all W10 recovery options I could think of, and put them in this thread.
If you have another way, please add it here if staff doesn't decide to delete this whole thread:shocked:. I hope this helps someone that is having W10 issues!:wink: If you don't have a Media Creation Tool in your desk drawer, you should. You can get one here!
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=3cWERffd

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Good stuff, Sir Chimp. :grincry:

Here is another great toolkit to add to your growing arsenal: SystemRescueCD.

SystemRescueCD is a bootable "live" Linux disc with many great tools to help diagnose and repair your box. Even when things are running smooth I like it for using GParted to partition my drives... Check it out, it is very full featured.

And I agree, too few pay attention to this stuff until it is too late.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi There! Please make a system repair CD and a system rescue drive now! It might make your life a lot less stressful.
Please move or delete if inappropriate.:wink: I have seen so many occasions where this might help a user recover from a disaster!
Here's how! How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8 or 10
Using a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc

A recovery drive will normally not be necessary. If your computer fails to boot several times, Windows 8 or 10 will automatically bring up the advanced startup options, which allows you to troubleshoot and fix it.

If Windows can’t even bring up these tools, you’ll need the recovery drive, system repair disc, or a Windows 8 or 10 installation disc. Insert the recovery media into your computer and restart. Your computer should boot from the recovery media automatically. (If it doesn’t, you may need to change its boot order.)

Here's a great link you should make yourself familiar with. Please pay attention to option 6. Not many techs know this option exists.:wink:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

This is a great tip, I am doing one right away, thanks!

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb