Preview for Developers same as final WP8.1 for general public ?

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Just how we could see the status for GDR3 on the Nokia site for various regions and carries, is the same available to get current status of Nokia Cyan firmware ?

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Just how we could see the status for GDR3 on the Nokia site for various regions and carries, is the same available to get current status of Nokia Cyan firmware ?

It will be there as when microsoft decide for official release then nokia will decide when & how(which device first) their Lumia Cyan update for consumer with wp8.1 for phone wise list.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hang on, which bit of "Developer Preview" means "unfinished test version"?

It means it's an early release for development purposes. That's all it means. It's not a beta, not a test. This is the public release - developers ARE the public, just a subset of it. Preview means early look at it. That's all. The words alpha and beta are established terms for test versions, and Public Beta is the established term for a test release to the public. This is not that. This is a public release that is out of beta, released to manufacturers. This is not a hard concept to understand.

I like WP 8.1 (actually I love it, and despite the drawbacks it would be a huge step backwards to go back to 8.0 at this point), except the Xbox music and decrease of integration of social media, but those are two huge issues clearly. Xbox music will be updated. The change to the hubs, well, that's here to stay, I think, bit they'll try and make what is left of the integration smoother and apps faster.
These things are not Beta status issues. These are issues that will be corrected by app releases. This is the public release. I still don't understand why this is hard to understand. Wishful thinking?

Last edited:

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Exactly ^^^^ just because it has bugs doesn't make it a beta, the 4.4 update for the HTC one pushed by carriers had a mms bug. Everything is gonna have bugs, **** my yard has a lot of them.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Despite some of the best efforts of users in this thread there really is a lot of confusion.

I was hoping my Post on the second page would help clarify things.

To everyone saying this is a beta. No it ISN'T. This is RTM (Release To Manufacturers).
To those saying this is a final build. This is NOT a final build.

This RTM version is feature frozen, which (as previously stated in my earlier post) means that everything you see and interact with is not going to change in regards to functionality and UI. More builds are going to be released (just as they were with GDR3) that will fix any bugs and issues found by both Manufacturers developing handsets and drivers for their handsets, and by those of us who have volunteered to use the Developer Preview program.

Towards the end of May (based on articles i have read, i'll find links and add them shortly) the new handsets and the GA (General Availability) of Windows Phone 8.1 will mean that we will all receive the final build version with a number of, if not all, the bugs resolved and ironed out.

Whilst i dont want to criticise people for their naivety in signing up for the dev preview and are now complaining that they have bugs and issues. It is however a gamble that you agreed to take when volunteering to participate in such a program.

If you do have problems then i really do feel sorry for you and hope that your issues are resolved ASAP so you can begin to enjoy using this OS in the same way i have on my Lumia 925.

At the same time it would be worth asking the community here for help or workarounds to your issues until they are fixed properly by either the handset manufacturer or Microsoft.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 Developer Preview = 8.0.10501.127
GDR3 final = 8.0.10521.155 (latest updates, excluding WP8.1 preparatory update)

8.1 DP = 8.10.12359.845
8.1 final = ?

This BUILD especially of WP 8.1 will not get to consumers. If you any of you have problems now, expect to have less problems or non at all when 8.1 hits General Availability for consumers.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The main OS is likely the same as the final version given to OEMs. OEMs will of course add their own stuff.

Also keep in mind that some things in 8.1 have been removed from the core OS and have been converted to being apps. Those apps could be updated at any time. They aren't bound to the OS update.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
The main OS is likely the same as the final version given to OEMs. OEMs will of course add their own stuff.

Also keep in mind that some things in 8.1 have been removed from the core OS and have been converted to being apps. Those apps could be updated at any time. They aren't bound to the OS update.

'Tis, the OEM's apparently got it a few days before it was pushed to the dev preview portal. It wouldn't make sense for MS to have two different versions. As stated before, there will be updates between now and when it's prepped by the carriers for release.

Second point is a good one to bring up. A LOT of "missing" functionality is due to changes in the way 8.1 works (pulling stuff out of the core OS/giving apps more control), so as the apps get their updates, the features will come back/improve.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Now wp8.1 preview get update to remove bugs, so its final in feature but not on software side i.e. remove bugs in future also if any.

One more question Ton of bug fixes & battery improvements, means there is ton of bugs in wp8.1 preview. As I will clear I am on wp8.0

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It was the final shipping version. It will be updated many times over the next weeks, months and years. Surely this is not hard to understand.

So doesn't this imply that the version we were all running prior to the update today was NOT the final version being shipped in the summer? WP8.1 yesterday vs today is different.

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
So doesn't this imply that the version we were all running prior to the update today was NOT the final version being shipped in the summer? WP8.1 yesterday vs today is different.

I'd say this is the conclusion/consideration any good reasonable man should reach to ?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

It was already shipped to manufacturers way before yesterday. They are selling it starting the day after tomorrow. Do you think they deliberately waited until today to ship the software for those phones? Of course those phones will get bug fixes, some before release if they happen to release them.

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
It was already shipped to manufacturers way before yesterday. They are selling it starting the day after tomorrow. Do you think they deliberately waited until today to ship the software for those phones? Of course those phones will get bug fixes, some before release if they happen to release them.

What's the difference between a 'WP8.1 build without fixes' delivered with a 'patch containing fixes' and a 'WP8 build with fixes' ?
Why keeping on considering RTM or FINAL something that won't ever be experienced by the final users ?
Today update PROVES that the final users won't ever have the same user experience we (who subscribed for DP) had.
How can you keep on talking about 'final' ?

The whole 'final' argument was bringed (OVER AND OVER AGAIN) to discourage people from hoping MS was going to fix anything before releasing a wp8.1 phone.
How can that sentence be still considered true ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire