Preview for Developers same as final WP8.1 for general public ?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The whole 'final' argument was bringed (OVER AND OVER AGAIN) to discourage people from hoping MS was going to fix anything before releasing a wp8.1 phone.
How can that sentence be still considered true ?

No. The argument was about whether the DP was in any significant way different from what the commercial release of WP8.1 will be. OF COURSE there will be bug fixes. But so many people responded to any problem with 8.1 that "it's just a preview! this will be taken care of in the final release!". Even things like the lack of FB integration, photo hub, etc, MAJOR things, people were like "it's just a preview!". THOSE THINGS WILL NOT CHANGE IN THE COMMERCIAL RELEASE. There will naturally be updates of individual apps after release, and a few polishes and bug fixes before and after it's released as an update. But when Lumia 630 comes out, it will have substantially the same version of 8.1 that the DP had. It was the final release. It was the one shipped for manufacturing. That's a fact.

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
No. The argument was about whether the DP was in any significant way different from what the commercial release of WP8.1 will be. OF COURSE there will be bug fixes. But so many people responded to any problem with 8.1 that "it's just a preview! this will be taken care of in the final release!". Even things like the lack of FB integration, photo hub, etc, MAJOR things, people were like "it's just a preview!". THOSE THINGS WILL NOT CHANGE IN THE COMMERCIAL RELEASE. There will naturally be updates of individual apps after release, and a few polishes and bug fixes before and after it's released as an update. But when Lumia 630 comes out, it will have substantially the same version of 8.1 that the DP had. It was the final release. It was the one shipped for manufacturing. That's a fact.

No. You say 'so many people responded to any problem with it's a preview', I say 'so many people ranted that the DP was RTM so no change was expected'. The argument was totally not only related to 'major things'. Battery performance rant is a real good example of what I am talking about. That's a fact.
Stating that "major things" won't change is very different from what the ranters stated.
And OF COURSE 'the major things' of DP will be in the 'final' (LOL) release.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess we'll see which version Lumia 630 runs when it's released, if someone in India on the forum picks it up.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I guess we'll see which version Lumia 630 runs when it's released, if someone in India on the forum picks it up.

If possible to distinguish which version/release is yesterdays and today's update, then I agree. However that's not necessarily true for users updating from current WP8 devices...carriers could quickly retest with this latest update if its necessary (stability and battery fixes).

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If anyone finds some important difference between the DP and the 630 versions of 8.1, I'd be shocked. I hope they let us all know.

I would assume the carrier release update to 8.1 will have more bug fixes in it. That does not make the DP some sort of test version. Anyway... Doesn't matter. I just hope stuff works better eventually.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124