Running into 80188308 installing GDR1 or Pre Update

pdixon0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Good luck!

Currently unable to update my O2UK ATIV S :(

One theory I have is that by changing region etc to USA to enable Cortana, some apps downloaded may be from the incorrect region so causing an issue? For example, I used to use Glympse from the old WinMo days, which is only available with region set to USA. Also, I have BBC iPlayer installed which isn't available in USA region. I've uninstalled Glympse with no luck, but wondering if any other apps are region specific which is stopping the update?

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Good luck!

Currently unable to update my O2UK ATIV S :(

One theory I have is that by changing region etc to USA to enable Cortana, some apps downloaded may be from the incorrect region so causing an issue? For example, I used to use Glympse from the old WinMo days, which is only available with region set to USA. Also, I have BBC iPlayer installed which isn't available in USA region. I've uninstalled Glympse with no luck, but wondering if any other apps are region specific which is stopping the update?

I don't think apps are the problem because I hard reset first, erasing everything, no apps other than normal system apps installed and it still failed

I can confirm the downgrade method works 100% - I am now running 8.1.1, thanks again to all that helped

pdixon0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Ah OK :(

For the record, I'd already tried changing everything back to UK with no avail. That's why I was wondering about US specific apps...

I don't think it's available system RAM / disk space available as I have plenty spare on both SD and system.

I hope MS release a fix soon!

Quite funny reading peoples posts on other forums/ threads saying how this error is making them not like WinPhone... Get a life! The clue is in the title, it's a 'Preview' and not the full release!

Well done to MS for giving us the opportunity to sample the update goodness before the carriers/ OEMs get round to getting their acts together. I'd still have been stuck on 8.0 on my ATIV S for the last few months if it wasn't for the Dev Preview. God knows when the official release will happen as Sammy haven't provided the firmware updates AFAIK.

Arievl

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok, back up from 8.0 Black > 8.1 Cyan > Downloading updates for 8.1.1, see how far I get this time

EDIT - Looks like its working this time - every single attempt before dowgrading to 8.0 would get to 16% and fail, now at 54% and going strong, thanks to "Arievl'
Can't take the credits for it, it was already mentioned as a solution by some other users ;)

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, rolling back is a solution, but it's not a very good one. I'm certainly not willing to wipe my device for an update.

Yea I didn't want to either, but in the end it looks as if the dev preview updates have done something permanently bad to the OS, so I figured eventually there would be no choice, so might as well get it over with - plus there is the backup before wipe option to make things easier (Which I forgot to do)

Now I know I have a 100% clean and working OS, that's worth the few hours of setting back up to me

akaliel

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea I didn't want to either, but in the end it looks as if the dev preview updates have done something permanently bad to the OS, so I figured eventually there would be no choice, so might as well get it over with - plus there is the backup before wipe option to make things easier (Which I forgot to do)

Now I know I have a 100% clean and working OS, that's worth the few hours of setting back up to me

I guess it depends on the state of the device. But I have too much I'm not willing to lose. (the backup doesn't tend to always back everything up.)

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess it depends on the state of the device. But I have too much I'm not willing to lose. (the backup doesn't tend to always back everything up.)

Yea true, update vs phone state and contents

For me I didn't really have anything mission critical on there, just a lot of apps that I likely didn't need and some photos

Main pain to me is having to log back into apps like banking and log back into websites, and remembering which apps I had installed

Backing up would have saved a lot of time, but hey-ho

WPTommy

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Just got my phone working after a hard reset. However I think it could be that in doing this I removed my work email account and the ActiveSync security requirements that allowed this to work. Guess I will never know

akaliel

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea true, update vs phone state and contents

For me I didn't really have anything mission critical on there, just a lot of apps that I likely didn't need and some photos

Main pain to me is having to log back into apps like banking and log back into websites, and remembering which apps I had installed

Backing up would have saved a lot of time, but hey-ho

For me it's the pictures. I've had my 920 since October 2012. And they do auto-backup but I have found that it doesn't always work. I had 50 odd pictures from a holiday that were for some reason not uploaded to OneDrive. No idea why, they just weren't and I don't have the space to backup my videos.

But besides that, this is a small update. I shouldn't have to wipe my device b/c MS couldn't get this working properly. I'm not fixing my mom's PC here. Nor am I running an old blackberry that makes you reboot whenever you install a new app. WP8.1 is supposed to be modern and sleek and have a capability to do this without hassling us.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not wiping, backing up, rebooting or resetting anything until Microsoft tells me that is what needs to be done. While it would be nice to get the update correctly installed on my 822 sooner than later, I'm in no rush to have to deal with all the reset procedures.

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm not wiping, backing up, rebooting or resetting anything until Microsoft tells me that is what needs to be done. While it would be nice to get the update correctly installed on my 822 sooner than later, I'm in no rush to have to deal with all the reset procedures.
Copy that!

Acei

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Have this problem with my 920. Funny thing is that my wife's 920 updated fine. We're both on Vodafone here in Ireland and both running the DP.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
For me it's the pictures. I've had my 920 since October 2012. And they do auto-backup but I have found that it doesn't always work. I had 50 odd pictures from a holiday that were for some reason not uploaded to OneDrive. No idea why, they just weren't and I don't have the space to backup my videos.

But besides that, this is a small update. I shouldn't have to wipe my device b/c MS couldn't get this working properly. I'm not fixing my mom's PC here. Nor am I running an old blackberry that makes you reboot whenever you install a new app. WP8.1 is supposed to be modern and sleek and have a capability to do this without hassling us.

Yep totally agree, complete fail from MS, but if it helps, I had a load of pictures on my SDCard and they remained there throughout the entire mess of updating and wiping, including throughout using nokias software recovery tool process

Although backing up photos from WP is very easy with drag n drop to PC

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol well atleast we now know how to get 8.1.1 :) But I won't be downgrading my phone just for that.. MS has work to do! I shouldn't have to go out of my way to get their update to work, it should be the other way around.. Come to think of it maybe they won't do anything at all and let us wait for the official release since it has been said that this problem only affects "a small % of users"

akaliel

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Yep totally agree, complete fail from MS, but if it helps, I had a load of pictures on my SDCard and they remained there throughout the entire mess of updating and wiping, including throughout using nokias software recovery tool process

Although backing up photos from WP is very easy with drag n drop to PC

Well the 920 doesn't have an SD Card. If it did I wouldn't be as concerned. Moreso, I'm hesitant to do this because I shouldn't have to. If MS isn't going to release an update that installs on my device without hassle, then I'm not going to install it. Why is the onus on me to run constant backups and worry about bricking my phone through a firmware update (and there's no warranty when you're on DP) because they clearly didn't run a thorough Q/A on a simple update. So forget it.

I'm definitely leaning away from MS for my next phone upgrade. Never had any of these issues with my old Nexus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen