Running into 80188308 installing GDR1 or Pre Update

jimitndiaye

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
had the issue a few times in my office.. tried after I got home and it worked fine..
The phones has problem with Wireless connections, maybe how the connections is defined.

80188308 error is caused because the phone is loosing connectivity in the middle of the update.

The update should fix the network issue but in order to fix the update issue you need to connect to a different network..

Is that officially what that error code means? Cuz I've tried on both my work and home wifi networks and its failed in both cases. I've never had connectivity problems on either network.

Marc Archambault

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the dead battery thing before. It always happened on my 920 (Rogers Canada) whenever I updated while my phone was plugged in and charging. Battery was never dead it just looked that way and then was fine minutes later after I unplugged the phone. I assume the update and charging cannot work together ;)

I also got the error... now trying again.

MJS9

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Is that officially what that error code means? Cuz I've tried on both my work and home wifi networks and its failed in both cases. I've never had connectivity problems on either network.

Same. Have tried 3 consistently reliable and fast networks today. The update failed at the same point each time.

evilcart

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
update worked flawless on my 521, but my 925 has failed a number of times.

I tried some of the ideas and tricks suggested it made no difference, most likely will be fixed shortly and we will all have no issue..

tomahan

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the same error problem with a Lumia 822, however, updated successfully on a Lumia 820. Both phones are setup nearly identical with same apps, so don't know why the difference.

vafo

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
had the issue a few times in my office.. tried after I got home and it worked fine..
The phones has problem with Wireless connections, maybe how the connections is defined.

80188308 error is caused because the phone is loosing connectivity in the middle of the update.

The update should fix the network issue but in order to fix the update issue you need to connect to a different network..

Came back home and tried on home network, to no success. Update is bogus on ATIV S - Tho I *did not* try hard resetting or "disabling cortana" (doesn't feel like it makes much sense...)

TR3MBLETT

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Also can not update my 920
Tried several times during different times of the day.
Also changed my region back from US to Canada (eliminating Cortana) my update fails always at the same time, just after it restarts and displays the gears.
Tried resetting, power cycling, plugged in and not. Also had the weird battery glitch as well, went from 99% to 30%, plugged back in, and all was good....
O have no idea as well think this is a MS issue. Will try again tomorrow.

Update: 3 attempts again so far today, all fail.
WPC article said issue might be caused by "low device memory"
My 920 has 1GB ram and 13.26GB free..... So not convinced this is the issue.

Last edited:

Sicarius123

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Cleared more space, deleted the live lock screen app, switched from my 5ghz WIFI to 2.4ghz Wifi. Doesn't matter, it still gets to the reboot stage, cogs spin without the progress bar moving, and then reboots again and 80188308.

This is on two Lumia 920's, Telstra firmware, Lumia Black.

Not really a fix, that's a workaround.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I've tried four times with my 822 and got the ox80188308 error each time. I don't believe the Wi-Fi issue as I'm on a decent network at work with 22 Mbps and still no luck. My home is about the same but can't try that until later. Gotta be something else though.

Yeah not WiFi. I'm on 1gbps and its still stuck

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Joe Belfire (I think I spelled that right) acknowledged today a small amount of users are having this issue and it can't be fixed by doing it again. He says they are investigating it and aggressively working on a solution. Something to do with low system memory. Wpcentral has an article on it.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Joe Belfire (I think I spelled that right) acknowledged today a small amount of users are having this issue and it can't be fixed by doing it again. He says they are investigating it and aggressively working on a solution. Something to do with low system memory. Wpcentral has an article on it.

It can't be low system memory isn't it? I am able to update it fine on my Lumia 920, 930, & 1520 but not Lumia 1020.

codoz57

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my 920

Also, Nokia camera no longer works and neither does ProShot. Have not tried all the other apps I have.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

It can't be low system memory isn't it? I am able to update it fine on my Lumia 920, 930, & 1520 but not Lumia 1020.
I believe he said system disk space (not memory).

The only way to test is to delete some files and try again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zinedioo