Should I get a surface pro 3 now or wait..?

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm a civil engineering student and I've been pinning over the sp3 for quite a while now, currently I have a $1000 to spend on a new laptop and thought since Microsoft knocked off $100 on the 128/i5 model I could jump and buy it now, but I won't have enough money to get the type cover or Microsoft Extended. Any suggestions for my predicament? I really wanted it just because I could write with the pen and run just about anything that I would need, but now I'm not so sure about waiting more, is Microsoft extended really worth it? Will waiting til they announce the sp4 be worthwhile in case the price gets lowered more?

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
It depends on your time frame. I'm sure the sp4 will be announced either late summer or early fall. If you can wait that long, go ahead. Though I don't know if they will drop the sp3 price immediately after launch. Up to you.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Wait until u have enough to get Microsoft complete. Any USB and Bluetooth keyboard will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Buy it!!!

I'm also a student (Geology) and I've got the i5 256gb Surface and it manages fine with tasks I throw at it, its got a good balance of both processing power and battery life (7-10hrs) and I'm going to guess that the 128gb version will work about the same. I would get the Pro 3 over the Pro 4 as I've heard rumours that it'll have less processing power, which means that it'll have lower performance and could lag, which is one of the reasons why I got the Pro 3 over the Pro 4. I'm not really sure about 'Microsoft extended' as it seems that it gives you 2 years extend cover (I would like to go into further detail about this but sadly I don't have this cover as its not available in the UK). However you could look at SquareTrade, I've heard that their warranties are quite good. I don't bother with insurance as I'm quite careful with my tablet (well who wouldn't be with a ?900+ ($1000) tablet) and I'm thinking of getting a hard case, such as the Trident Cyclops to protect it from accidental falls.
Now then, about the type cover, it really depends if you write or type your notes, if you mainly type it would be beneficial getting the keyboard, however the pen and onscreen keyboard are a ok substitute 'till you get sufficient funds for the real keyboard.
Furthermore have you looked on Microsoft Student Store? Its 10% less than the RRP, and using it I've saved about ?100 ($150) on hardware. Also have you looked on BestBuy? I've heard that stuff from there is dirt cheap!
Also if you are getting the Pro 3 you can use disk drive programmes, you just need an ISO key.

Hope this helps!

ratsey

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Get the keyboard, it needs it. Amazon have the Arc mouse on sale today if you need it. I have one and love it, but then I'm not a power touchpad user.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Get the keyboard, it needs it. Amazon have the Arc mouse on sale today if you need it. I have one and love it, but then I'm not a power touchpad user.

Eh I'll get a cheap Bluetooth keyboard to hold me over till I scrounge up enough money for the type cover, I'll probably end up ordering the surface in a week or two so I can get Microsoft complete while I'm at it. I'll mostly be using it for hand written notes and some light gaming/AutoCAD/Sketch Up drawings, and I have a number pad lying around somewhere too. Thanks for all of your input guys though :D

Bolimomo

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
To me the type cover is just an overpriced keyboard. Convenient, yes. But you can do without it, at least for a while. You can use the wired, nano wifi or bluetooth keyboards. I understand there is space constraints in the classroom environment. Maybe use some of those tiny keyboards designed for children fingers. At home I always use the more civilized full-sized keyboards.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
To me the type cover is just an overpriced keyboard. Convenient, yes. But you can do without it, at least for a while. You can use the wired, nano wifi or bluetooth keyboards. I understand there is space constraints in the classroom environment. Maybe use some of those tiny keyboards designed for children fingers. At home I always use the more civilized full-sized keyboards.

I don't think that really, I think its quite a good keyboard, at least you don't have the hassle of having to charge and sync your keyboard before you use it, however it would be nice if they could decrease the price of the keyboard.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Have you thought of buying a Microsoft Universal Keyboard for around ?40? it'll work with the Surface Pro 3 and most other tablets
Screenshot (8).jpg

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty good chance the SP4 will be a Core M device. If you want a powerful SP, might as well get the 3.

Curious if the SP3 will hold value longer, after SP4 launches, because of this.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you do end up buying it - you should get a student discount too if I am not mistaken?

However if you can wait, then I personally would suggest waiting as prices should go down when the Sp4 is released in order to clear the inventory. Not to mention you may be able to snag some decent deals during Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
If you do end up buying it - you should get a student discount too if I am not mistaken?

However if you can wait, then I personally would suggest waiting as prices should go down when the Sp4 is released in order to clear the inventory. Not to mention you may be able to snag some decent deals during Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

I'd wait, but I have some projects for when may rolls around, besides I've been waiting since October to get enough money to pay for it and I don't think that the price will go down that fast. Sure there'll probably be sales come August, but that's too far away, and the student discount will knock off about a $100 so I'm good, too bad that discounts don't stack. As for the keyboard, I could just get a cheap Bluetooth one to hold me over until I can afford the type cover, or just use a PC around campus whenever I need to type something up. My main usage would be using it for note taking and designing, so missing the keyboard isn't a big difference.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like your deadline is May, in which case you're probably not going to find a better deal. The only thing that might affect it would be if they announced a Surface Pro 4 at Build, but even then that probably won't be out for a little while after and won't affect SP3 prices that quickly.. at least any more than current until it's actually released.
The only thing that might be worth waiting for would be to see what the Surface at Build might be as, if Atom power is all you need, might have the pen and be cheaper. But still a gamble so...
Definitely wait until you can get the complete coverage though as it is well worth it on an item that you can't afford to replace, and even if you could would still be worth it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd wait, but I have some projects for when may rolls around, besides I've been waiting since October to get enough money to pay for it and I don't think that the price will go down that fast. Sure there'll probably be sales come August, but that's too far away, and the student discount will knock off about a $100 so I'm good, too bad that discounts don't stack. As for the keyboard, I could just get a cheap Bluetooth one to hold me over until I can afford the type cover, or just use a PC around campus whenever I need to type something up. My main usage would be using it for note taking and designing, so missing the keyboard isn't a big difference.

I see, in that case go for it :) it is an amazing device however would recommend getting MS complete just in case :winktongue:.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss