Should I return to Windows Phone?

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello. After a solid 2 year break from windows phone(Those 2 years with an android phone weren't the best) i decided to go back as i found a lumia 735 online for really cheap. I'm not sure if it's because of the nostalgia factor but i just miss the clean look of windows phone. Keep in mind that im an average user that just uses the usual social media, listens to music and take photos. Nothing too fancy.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Should i return to Windows Phone?

I don't recommend to go back completely to WP/W10m since most apps, even basic one, are no longer present... could be good idea only if you are planning playing for the sake of nostalgia or using it as secondary phone. If you can get that 735 cheap, go for it, just don't get rid of your Android phone.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

It's getting painful to do fairly simple things that others expect smartphones to do. Example; the spotify app is ancient, and incredibly buggy. So unless you're happy to stream from youtube, that's about it when it comes to music streaming on the phone. So forget about streaming music reliably.

I like using instagram, but the app is old, and also, incredibly buggy. Missing a lot of new features, and while I can put in stories, very often an upload gets a black screen instead, and is just really annoying as it's painfully slow to do anything with it.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

I like the clean look too but the buck basically stops there for me. Nostalgia has its place yet IMHO, a smartphone ain't it - my HTC P4000 is nostalgic and there's a reason I'm not using it.

My primary platform of choice now is Android and we're very comfortable with that. Not heavy into social, games, etc w/productivity and keeping connected to the smart world being my main objectives. Using WP literally leaves me high and dry in those aspects (for the most part) due to instability, inconsistency, and the lack of apps - only going to get worse from heron in too.

For me WP is likened to a phone I'd recommend to those who wanted an upgrade from their flip phones, and weren't too demanding. Seriously that is how I look at it now. The only problem is (IMHO), the OS itself has never achieved a stage refinement that it should have so for that reason alone it'll never get my recommendation.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

Sure, get what you like. For what you describe as the things you want to do, it should be fine. As for the app situation, you may just need to use the web versions of Facebook, for instance. I'd recommend the 950 or 950xl because you should be able to find them cheap now. And the camera us great and it is easy to add an sd card and change the battery.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

It's getting painful to do fairly simple things that others expect smartphones to do. Example; the spotify app is ancient, and incredibly buggy. So unless you're happy to stream from youtube, that's about it when it comes to music streaming on the phone. So forget about streaming music reliably.

I like using instagram, but the app is old, and also, incredibly buggy. Missing a lot of new features, and while I can put in stories, very often an upload gets a black screen instead, and is just really annoying as it's painfully slow to do anything with it.

You can still stream music reliably in Groove using OneDrive. Groove on iOS and Android will soon lose that feature and the Groove app entirely.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Hello. After a solid 2 year break from windows phone(Those 2 years with an android phone weren't the best) i decided to go back as i found a lumia 735 online for really cheap. I'm not sure if it's because of the nostalgia factor but i just miss the clean look of windows phone. Keep in mind that im an average user that just uses the usual social media, listens to music and take photos. Nothing too fancy.

Should you? No. Sad to say, but coming back to a platform that will stop getting updates in a year isn't good. I like the interface too; I figured if I went Android I would install a look-alike Win10 launcher to suppress my sadness.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

It shouldn't be your main phone :) which android phone were you using previously?

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site

First I would like to say that I went from Windows 10 mobile Lumia 950 XL to a Samsung Galaxy S8 a few months back thinking that it would be all glorious and awesome..... Oh man I was so wrong.....

The Android Outlook app and even the Microsoft news app(the new version is a bit better though) were horrible. On Win 10 Mobile Outlook is really well designed with a good dark theme and the calendar has a better user interface. I found myself liking to use the Google Chrome browser reading news more than having to install a huge amount of news apps. On Win 10 mobile I simply pin the news websites I like to start. So much for that app gap.... go figure....

I also disliked the whole Android user interface and in order to get something that I liked I had to either shell out coins for a more well designed dark theme or download some half baked Microsoft launcher or a Win 10 like launcher that wants you private data and even ask for money if it has to have more win 10 like features.... which bring me back to the whole question about why one has to leave Win 10 mobile. In the end I ran back to Windows 10 Mobile Lumia 950 XL as my main phone.

Answers to some simple issues:

1. I need some special app.... well then get a cheap android phone and use that when you need it.

2. Microsoft is not supporting Win 10 mobile anymore..... WRONG they are and at least until around 2020 so relax and keep use it.

3. I need Pokemon Go..... well then you are in the first place not Microsoft target

4. Facebook does not work on my Windows Phone.... get a windows 10 mobile for a pretty fair price on ebay

5. The app gap is real man! Look most of the app services you are missing can be used through the Microsoft Edge browser or the Monument Browers etc. by "pin this website to Start" you basically have the app.

6. After 2020 we cannot use the phone anymore... not really true but yeah don't expect new games but many new Universal apps have seen the light lately though... let us see what the future brings. If you are fine with that then using a Win 10 mobile like millions are right now is not a problem for you.

The best thing about Win 10 mobile is that you will not waste your time on weird games and apps. You will use the phone for taking pictures, checking mails, sending/receiving text messages and MMS and making phone calls and all that sort of productive communications. And for news the Microsoft Edge browser is rather nice and even the Microsoft News app is fine.

So if you want to be productive and not staring at your phone all the time then yes you should return to Windows 10 mobile. You can get a Lumia 950 (XL), Alcaltel Idl S4 or HP Elite X3 on ebay for a few coins. I recommend the Lumia 950 XL as you can change battery when needed and that is real handy when travelling :O)

Note:
You can actually play quiet a few fun games on the Windows 10 mobile still such as Minecraft and Angry bird ;O)

Conclusion:
Yes you should return to Windows 10 mobile as it still offers a great value if you want a small handheld mini computer that can be used for communication, web surfing and even works as a great camera.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

*December 2019 updates to certain phones will stop. A whole bunch will fall of the wagon in October 2018. Everyone should decide on their own.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

Not really onboard with your assertions here...

First I would like to say that I went from Windows 10 mobile Lumia 950 XL to a Samsung Galaxy S8 a few months back thinking that it would be all glorious and awesome..... Oh man I was so wrong.....

The Android Outlook app and even the Microsoft news app(the new version is a bit better though) were horrible. On Win 10 Mobile Outlook is really well designed with a good dark theme and the calendar has a better user interface. I found myself liking to use the Google Chrome browser reading news more than having to install a huge amount of news apps. On Win 10 mobile I simply pin the news websites I like to start. So much for that app gap.... go figure....
So what are you saying, NEWS is the only thing a "smartphone" is useful for as you seem to reiterating that a lot, personal preference maybe? And here I thought there was an app for just about anything (other platforms) and it turns out only news, go figure eh? But hey, we don't need the NEWS APP cuz we goooot Edge or Google Chrome browsers for that.:winktongue:

I also disliked the whole Android user interface and in order to get something that I liked I had to either shell out coins for a more well designed dark theme or download some half baked Microsoft launcher or a Win 10 like launcher that wants you private data and even ask for money if it has to have more win 10 like features.... which bring me back to the whole question about why one has to leave Win 10 mobile. In the end I ran back to Windows 10 Mobile Lumia 950 XL as my main phone.
I never had to shell out a bunch of coin on Droids, easily got mine setup the way I like them free-of-charge. Different usually means change / adjusting so if you aren't willing then yeah, you ain't gonna like it. And it will always be Android no matter how much you make it feel or look like WM.

1. I need some special app.... well then get a cheap android phone and use that when you need it.
So, what constitutes a special app, one YOU don't need or use? Has it ever crossed your mind the apps you consider special might be necessities to others? And if you are going to buy a phone to pick up the slack why not just buy 1 to pick up ALL the slack, that makes way more sense.

2. Microsoft is not supporting Win 10 mobile anymore..... WRONG they are and at least until around 2020 so relax and keep use it.
Are you sure, really sure? Past history has proven MS likes to dump things on a whim so no one knows until it's all said and done, even yourself. Haven't seen much in the way of improvements on my end for a very long time so to me "support" means very little when speaking of MS/WM.

3. I need Pokemon Go..... well then you are in the first place not Microsoft target
Involves way more than Pokemon Go, surely you even know that. Pretty sure MS has no target when it comes to WM, wherever it crash lands will be its resting place

4. Facebook does not work on my Windows Phone.... get a windows 10 mobile for a pretty fair price on ebay
Might as well buy a device that will support it for much longer no? Own Droid/iOS devices older than W10M with all their apps still functioning same, or better today, as they ever did (no diff from my 217/18 phones). Can't say that about WP can we.

5. The app gap is real man! Look most of the app services you are missing can be used through the Microsoft Edge browser or the Monument Browers etc. by "pin this website to Start" you basically have the app.
Totally not with you on this one, not one bit. A browser might be able to fill the gap for you but I'll guarantee it won't suffice for all. There are numerous instances (more than I even know) where a dedicated app IS a prerequisite whether you'll admit it or not. May not be in your case but not everyone is like YOU, not even ALL WM diehard fans.

6. After 2020 we cannot use the phone anymore... not really true but yeah don't expect new games but many new Universal apps have seen the light lately though... let us see what the future brings. If you are fine with that then using a Win 10 mobile like millions are right now is not a problem for you.
As it stands now it's pretty evident what the future will bring (could be sooner could be later), unless one has been hiding under a rock all this time. Can't say Universal apps have become much of a thing latelyeither otherwise we'd be seeing those that already vanished reappearing. Are they?

The best thing about Win 10 mobile is that you will not waste your time on weird games and apps. You will use the phone for taking pictures, checking mails, sending/receiving text messages and MMS and making phone calls and all that sort of productive communications. And for news the Microsoft Edge browser is rather nice and even the Microsoft News app is fine.
So what makes you think every game / app on another platform is weird, a waste of time? Because you don't have access to them? I use my Droids for taking picture, emails, text, MMS, making phone calls, and soooo much more (not a single games either). So am I more or less productive than you because I can quickly and easily access my security cams, dash cams, digital cameras, TV on-the-go, my printer(s), all my bank accounts, etc, with many of these example unreachable via a web browser period.

So if you want to be productive and not staring at your phone all the time then yes you should return to Windows 10 mobile. You can get a Lumia 950 (XL), Alcaltel Idl S4 or HP Elite X3 on ebay for a few coins. I recommend the Lumia 950 XL as you can change battery when needed and that is real handy when travelling :O)
So what you're saying - buy a WP, keep the staring to minimum, and the productivity will flow. Funny, my Droids need frequent interaction to be productive hmmm. Better pull out my WPs and see what I am doing wrong here.:wink:

Note:
You can actually play quiet a few fun games on the Windows 10 mobile still such as Minecraft and Angry bird ;O)
Now this IMHO is not very productive.:grin:

Conclusion:
Yes you should return to Windows 10 mobile as it still offers a great value if you want a small handheld mini computer that can be used for communication, web surfing and even works as a great camera.
Very poor value in my opinion because as it stands now, its all downhill from heron in - unless you got something concrete that'll refute my claim?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Note:

Conclusion:

This was great to read. As an example of someone deluding themselves. I'm sorry. But I was just like you. I made up reasons to myself to justify having a Windows phone, but not any longer.

I was a massive Windows Phone fan. Then I stepped back and realised MS don't really care about customers like me any longer. Windows 10 devices do allow you to be more productive, yes, but in this day and age who is productive on their phone and who is just wasting their life away scrolling through Facebook?

The masses stare at their phones all the time. The masses want the latest games and apps. The masses do not want a Windows Phone and even MS knows the masses are right.

MS can't compete or deliver to the masses. That's why they are trying desperately to try to create some sort of niche hardware and market to delude themselves that this is the future and feel like they have finally achieved something in the mobile space.

This is so they can feel self-assured that they are making the right decision with Andromeda whilst the masses (that MS doesn't care about because they aren't their target market) get bigger and faster hardware and all the latest apps still, and MS is left wondering why Andromeda sales are tanking.

Andromeda on the other hand suffers from the app gap or lack of marketing or MS just fumbling around in the dark (and later quietly dropping the whole thing).

I'd love to see MS succeed in the mobile space. But deep down I know they won't.

MS and Windows Phone is like being in an abusive relationship. You may love them even though they treat you badly and you stay with them either out of some sort of loyalty or by thinking that things will go better, even though deep down you know it won't. This isn't a case of the more you suffer, the more you really care.

It's time to sadly move on.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
The points dwarf king made were valid. I have an android phone because of an app windows didn't have.

Well i tried just using the web browser and pinning the site to my start screen on my Alcatel 4S .

Instant app ! Works just as well as the official app.

Android has the apps, but even in the state windows is in now i like windows better. The screen on the Alcatel is so much better than the one on my Nokia 6 . Live tiles to me will always be better than static icons.

It does all the necessary tasks smartphones were designed to do. Call, text, emails, and surfing the web.

Battery life is good and i can have my texts read to me through Bluetooth and send texts hands free. My android doesn't do that.

Windows just integrates better and isn't the messy information overload android is.

Those of you who have to follow the trend of being in the "in" club, have at it, but to tell those who use windows phones that they are in denial or left behind or fanboys or deluded is utter nonsense.

There is nothing i really need an android phone for exclusively. I got one out of boredom and to try something different.

Even my bank which windows does not have an app for I just pin the web page to the start screen and there it is. Works jus like an app.

It's been my experience that nobody even pays attention to what phone you are using, so use what you like. Who really cares ?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

This was great to read. As an example of someone deluding themselves. I'm sorry. But I was just like you. I made up reasons to myself to justify having a Windows phone, but not any longer.

I was a massive Windows Phone fan. Then I stepped back and realised MS don't really care about customers like me any longer. Windows 10 devices do allow you to be more productive, yes, but in this day and age who is productive on their phone and who is just wasting their life away scrolling through Facebook?

The masses stare at their phones all the time. The masses want the latest games and apps. The masses do not want a Windows Phone and even MS knows the masses are right.

MS can't compete or deliver to the masses. That's why they are trying desperately to try to create some sort of niche hardware and market to delude themselves that this is the future and feel like they have finally achieved something in the mobile space.

This is so they can feel self-assured that they are making the right decision with Andromeda whilst the masses (that MS doesn't care about because they aren't their target market) get bigger and faster hardware and all the latest apps still, and MS is left wondering why Andromeda sales are tanking.

Andromeda on the other hand suffers from the app gap or lack of marketing or MS just fumbling around in the dark (and later quietly dropping the whole thing).

I'd love to see MS succeed in the mobile space. But deep down I know they won't.

MS and Windows Phone is like being in an abusive relationship. You may love them even though they treat you badly and you stay with them either out of some sort of loyalty or by thinking that things will go better, even though deep down you know it won't. This isn't a case of the more you suffer, the more you really care.

It's time to sadly move on.

There’s a bunch of folks still on flip phones. Are they deluded? Some of us don’t need to be bombarded with notifications from every app in existence. I’d say it’s those people who are in an abusive relationship. I can’t imagine a more codependent existence than to be tethered to a phone and staring at the screen waiting for the next incoming message.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm either stupid, stubborn or both...but I went from the 920 to the 950Xl and that is where I'll stay until the Andromeda is available. If the new Foldable Device can't be used as a phone or doesn't have a good camera then I will stick with my 950XL. My 950XL is showing signs of it's age but I still like the UI and it takes great pics, still!...I purchased an Android Tablet to gain access to an app for my drone, BUT I still don't use it (has more dust on it than is under the couch:)...to much trouble! I will wait until the apps are accessible from a Microsoft Phone, or do without. I would ONLY change OS's if I absolutely, positively had to...I'd rather spend my time doing "other" things than learning a new OS that I would like anyway. Obviously, I can live without apps i don't have access to from my 950XL.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

There’s a bunch of folks still on flip phones. Are they deluded? Some of us don’t need to be bombarded with notifications from every app in existence. I’d say it’s those people who are in an abusive relationship. I can’t imagine a more codependent existence than to be tethered to a phone and staring at the screen waiting for the next incoming message.

Duh!...guess you can add 'abused' to my list above ^^^:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99