So how will YOU organize your new Start screen?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
What are you guys planning to do with your new Start screen. Might give me some ideas for mine. This is what I plan to do:

First Row
---------

Top left: Medium Calendar tile (I might scrap this based on improved Calendar lock-screen info)
Top right: 4 small tiles (Phone, People hub on top; Family contact goup and Messaging tile on bottom)

Second Row
----------

Left: 4 small tiles (Mail, WPCentral on top; Facebook app and Twitter tile on bottom)
Right: Medium Me tile

Third Row
---------

Left: Medium Weather tile
Right: 4 small tiles (Music, Games on top; Shopping Cart and Quicknotes on bottom)

I'm sure I'll end up changing this, but wanted to entertain the idea for now. Can't wait until October 29 to find out whatever there is to find out about WP8.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Likely to be...

First row: 8 small tiles for Phone, Whatsapp, Message, People, 2 emails, Settings, Marketplace
2nd row: Me Tile, Games in medium
3rd row: FB, Rowi
4th row: DailyHoroscope, Pulse
5th row: Music+Videos
6th row: Calender

Maybe a 7th row for the Nokia apps.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wow, a post not crying about exclusivity or how Nokia has failed and what not. OP must be suffering from temporary insanity, I'm calling the men in white coats now. ;) :D

Anyway, I dont have a clear layout in mind but things like phone and settings are likely to be on the top using the smallest size tiles then the next row likely a linked email double wide tile, then messaging double wide as well. Beyond that it depends if the dev does something interesting with his tile otherwise they will mostly be medium or small.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow, a post not crying about exclusivity or how Nokia has failed and what not. OP must be suffering from temporary insanity, I'm calling the men in white coats now. ;) :D
LMAO! I know, right? Figure I bring a post with some fun in it.

Anyway, I dont have a clear layout in mind but things like phone and settings are likely to be on the top using the smallest size tiles then the next row likely a linked email double wide tile, then messaging double wide as well. Beyond that it depends if the dev does something interesting with his tile otherwise they will mostly be medium or small.
A lot my decisions will also be based on what the developer does with the tile. The more interesting the live tile, the bigger I'll make it ;). I was trying to avoid the Settings tile but it IS kind of necessary, huh?

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to go for a mashup of randomness. The crazier the better!! :lol: That and the more useful it is the bigger it gets. On WP7 I'm always cycling what I use most around to the top.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Something like this probably:

maersk-albums38-252.jpg

Email and important items top half
Frequently used apps and calendar on bottom half

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Going for the iPhone5 look alike.

5 rows of all small tiles. In between each row will be a blank row for separation.
In order for it to really look like iPhone, each small tile must a third party app and not be a live tile.

This will really confuse the Apple lawyers when they see it on the Ativ S.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
For me, I m dreaming about populating a medium
Me tile in the centre of the screen with a ring of small tiles around my Me tile. Makes me feel like I am the centre of the universe :D That's my take on the new Start Screen.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what my set up will be yet as I will be new to windows phone, many hours will be lost trying out different combinations, fun!!!!

I hope a 'share your start screen' thread is opened so we can all show of our set ups.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Based on what I have today and a few small changes based on what I currently know is coming:

First Row
Me Tile (Medium), Phone, People, Outlook (Work), Hotmail (Personal) (Small) ... my logic being that as long as I get a small icon and a message count it's all I need. The only reason to keep the People hub medium is to show off the people contact pics in case my screen isn't "colorful" enough... if I choose that path, People will go second row on the right.

Second Row
All Small Icons -- Favorite Contacts/Groups ... Or, Favorite Contacts/Groups in Square formation with Medium People hub.

Third Row
Both Medium -- Messaging hub and Amazing Weather

Fourth Row
All Small Icons -- Music Playlists and Settings

Fifth Row
Medium Pictures Hub, Small Favorite Apps (Currently WPCentral, Chase Mobile, ConnectMe, IMDb)

Sixth and Seventh Rows
All Small Icons -- Additional Apps (SkyDrive, Skype, Amazon Mobile, Flashlight, Games, Maps, myAT&T, Metrotube)

---Up to Here ... This takes up the same amount of space as my current setup, but offers a LOT more apps to it, so I'm already psyched up about it. I'm planning to add an additional row...

8th Row
This row will tentatively be for direct "Settings" access... depending how much more we can pin in WP8. Ideally, I want to pin Bluetooth/NFC, Wi-Fi, Battery Saver, and Ringtones. There are no words to describe the simple joy I would have if I could pin Battery Saver and have a battery with % indicator of battery life. I've not heard that this is happening, but OMG, it would make me happier than a pig in mud (but not as happy as pig on my sammich--- mmm, bacon!)

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Going for the iPhone5 look alike.

5 rows of all small tiles. In between each row will be a blank row for separation.
In order for it to really look like iPhone, each small tile must a third party app and not be a live tile.

This will really confuse the Apple lawyers when they see it on the Ativ S.

LMAO I love this post.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'll definitely have to get it to make to organize it.

I do know that my phone, sms, email accounts, calendar and social apps will be shown (top).

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Probably either going to leave it stock or make it look exactly like Windows 7.5.

As in stock I mean editing the tiles to the ones that I use and deleting some if I have excess. So however the OEM intended.

I do more than enough customizing right now with Android, I want to be spoon fed.:D

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I am just looking forward to getting settings somewhere in the top, without it taking up a full quadrant of space.

Phone, texts, mails etc also somewhere up there and pictures have to go LARGE :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Phone, texts, mails etc also somewhere up there and pictures have to go LARGE :)

Hmm. Interesting approach... that seems like it's a lot of screen real-estate to give up for those UNLESS the tiles give a LOT of information on those tiles to make it worth it. Having some email "previews" would be pretty handy on a large email tile, for example.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
With about 52 now (26 rows), hoping to consolidate a bit. Non-live tiles will get shrunk down, and maybe something like messaging will grow. If I have 5 new emails and can only see the most recent (can't scroll the tile-or maybe that's a secret for 10/29), no use using a double wide. Hope to get down to about 15-16 rows. My left thumb will thank me.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)