so MS finally talks and says nothing.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
One of two things will happen.

Either Microsoft will start releasing legitimate updates on a timely and competitive manner, or they won't, and they'll just limp along in another failed consumer market attempt.

I'm betting the latter will be the case.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
@kalldrexx I'm not sure how else to put this. its not the bugs that bother me, its the lack of anything resembling initiative to fix them. I'm not upset because my phone isn't functioning properly, I'm upset because they are not showing me that they have any urgency in correcting it. this is the os I want and the os I love. i just want the people that built it to properly support it, and be honest with all of us about its past, present, and future.

this thread was never meant to be about the phone, but the pisspoor effort of ms to grow or even maintain it. their support has and continues to be setting the standard for industry worst, and them lying to us on top of that isn't exactly putting a smile on my face.

I'm not and never will expect a perfect phone from any company. all I to expect is for the company to at least attempt to make a perfect phone. right now, that's the difference between ms and Apple.

I hope this cleared up some of the confusion.

edit: as for yer "give it a rest" comment, I don't think anyone is forcing you to read and reply to this thread? lol

Dell venue pro user here, completely agree.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was on a 2 year contract after getting the iP4. I was able to trade for a WP7 via Craigslist. So if you don't like the phone, there are plenty of people on eBay/Craigslist that would take it off your hand.
I don't understand...how do you "ditch" your windows phone?? 99% of you are in a 2-year contract, most people are stuck with the phone. Once you choose a platform, you are stuck with it for a while so might as well make the best. The phone is certainly not bad enough to drop loads of $$$ to get a new phone without a discount.

Either way, MS can only take some of the blame. They do not have the clout that Apple had to basically strong-arm AT&T into how the update process will work. They could dangle the iPhone in front of any carrier and tell them how its going to be. How would MS ever pull that off being an underdog in this market and needing to get on every carrier they can?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll be sticking with my HD7, I like this platform and as much as I agree with mgarcia on the subject of updates; fortunately for me, I don't have as many issues with my HD7. it's easily more than enough to satisfy me until the updates do come. I will not however continue to praise and evangelize it, if a friend or co-worker asks about it I'll let them know its the best phone that ever happened, but its not for everyone... Yet. If that sparks their curiosity then I will explain everything to them... Well if they so choose, I find it makes a good chat.

Reactions: Averry

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You know I've been thinking too....Look at the Nexus One, and Nexus S.

These are virtually similar in every way to Windows Phone 7. It's untouched by the manufacturer.....Google didn't build the hardware...and yet Google has successful pushed Android 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 along with slightly incremental upgrades and bug fixes over the air.

So despite the fact that Microsoft doesn't make the hardware it's still not a good excuse.

Nor is throwing Android under the bus as a reason why it's okay that Microsoft hasn't successfully achieved anything here.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll be sticking with my HD7, I like this platform and as much as I agree with mgarcia on the subject of updates; fortunately for me, I don't have as many issues with my HD7. it's easily more than enough to satisfy me until the updates do come. I will not however continue to praise and evangelize it, if a friend or co-worker asks about it I'll let them know its the best phone that ever happened, but its not for everyone... Yet. If that sparks their curiosity then I will explain everything to them... Well if they so choose, I find it makes a good chat.

Welcome to the dark side, Luis. Your Darth Maul face paint will be shipped out tomorrow. :D

@PeteC I've bought and sold well over a dozen phones on eBay. You are never locked in to a certain piece of hardware. I've never liked craigslist (seems a bit too.. "redneck"?), but eBay has been awesome to me and I'm sure I'll continue to buy and sell phones on there. Hell, I just bought an iPhone on there about two weeks ago.. currently using it as an iPod Touch until I figure out what I want to do with it LOL

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the dark side, Luis. Your Darth Maul face paint will be shipped out tomorrow. :D

@PeteC I've bought and sold well over a dozen phones on eBay. You are never locked in to a certain piece of hardware. I've never liked craigslist (seems a bit too.. "redneck"?), but eBay has been awesome to me and I'm sure I'll continue to buy and sell phones on there. Hell, I just bought an iPhone on there about two weeks ago.. currently using it as an iPod Touch until I figure out what I want to do with it LOL
Craigslist isn't bad to sell phones. I posted my BlackBerry on there and an hour later I was selling it to a guy for the price I was asking for.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You know....we've beaten this to death.

What do you guys think I should do.

I'm on Verizon...and I get a 20% discount. Which in reality...amounts to about $14. Which...over the course of the year adds up...but so does drinking ludicrously priced gas station coffee drinks.

AT&T is moving into North Dakota...the stores haven't switched from Alltel yet....and the people on Alltel who have received their AT&T phones can't activate them yet. However, it seems as if AT&T has finally flipped the switch to allow me to buy a phone for my Zip Code.

I'm currently eligible for an upgrade on Verizon....and my contract actually is completely up in 5 weeks.

At that point...or even slightly before then, I could switch to AT&T. However......it's not clear if the Verizon HTC Trophy will come out before the AT&T HTC HD7S.

But if I move to AT&T and order something else for the meantime...the HD7S might come out more than 30 days after that, at which point I'll be stuck with something else. In theory I might be okay with the Focus...but I just think the Focus looks so cheap.

So after waiting all of this time for Verizon......if they release the Trophy I might be stuck looking at it while eagerly waiting for the 4.3 inch beast that I would really want.

If I move to AT&T now....it might be easier to get a nice Nokia phone in the future, or any other Windows Phone 7 phones as it seems that Verizon simply isn't nearly as dedicated.

So Trophy or not, I feel like I'd be more comfortable on AT&T.

At least freaking AT&T has ACTUALLY PUBLICLY SAID SOMETHING......Verizon has knack for phone information leaking out for months before they do anything with it.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Stop thinking about devices. You need to figure out which carrier you want to go with, and that's based entirely on your location. Phones can be bought, sold, and traded. Two year contracts can't. I don't know much about ND's coverage, but I know that AT&T is generally pretty rough outside of major metro areas.

Do you even know if AT&T will have 3G in yer area? It's entirely possible you'll get an AT&T phone be stuck on EDGE.. which would be painful to say the least.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Stop thinking about devices. You need to figure out which carrier you want to go with, and that's based entirely on your location. Phones can be bought, sold, and traded. Two year contracts can't. I don't know much about ND's coverage, but I know that AT&T is generally pretty rough outside of major metro areas.

Do you even know if AT&T will have 3G in yer area? It's entirely possible you'll get an AT&T phone be stuck on EDGE.. which would be painful to say the least.

They are actually replacing all of Alltel's coverage with full 3G and supposedly their newest equipment.

Theoretically....most of North Dakota might have HSPA+ even though we're not very densely populated.....but also...it's all wide open areas...no tall buildings...it's probably easy for them to get tower permits.

Alltel had good coverage here, so I can't imagine AT&T would have worse coverage. They've just had to convert everything from CDMA to GSM.

Edit: I'm not loaded with cash...I try to make my subsidized phone last as long as possible. I do have a good thing going with Verizon though...as they allow me to buy on 1 year contracts.

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... Isn't North Dakota just a conspiracy? Lol jk thats what one of my friends called it when he visited and saw how uh not dense it was lol. Oh and mgarcia has a point, phones are phones you can get em easily. What I would do, is get the HD7S, then save up little by little and check out the Nokia Windows Phone 7's and see if you really like em and buy it unsubsidized. That's what I'm gonna do... Well I have the T-Mobile HD7, but that's what I'll do with the Nokia deal.

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
The Latest in Microsoft Speak

I really hate to throw more fuel onto this roaring fire, but I just read the latest Windows Phone Blog post on the subject of “Copy and paste” Update Status. There, Microsoft announces "new transparency" by putting up a website that indicates "Where's My Phone Update?". 52 responses have already been posted and most show upset users.

It was shocking to learn that phones such as the HTC Surround, the LG Quantum and the Samsung Focus are still in "testing" status. This is for an update that supposedly was "in the can" back in November or December last year. Is it just me or is anyone else disbelieving that it takes over three months for the carriers to "test" this NoDo update? I just can't believe that the carriers are interested in the success of WP7. If they were, they would have made testing a priority and completed it long ago. I think they are just dragging their feet for the hell of it and with whatever business agreements Microsoft established with the carriers, there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

My bottom line is that unless Microsoft changes those agreements and gets assertive, they might as well pack it in because this OS is doomed to failure. Okay, let's see a quick show of hands; how many people actually believe an update called "Mango" will see the light of day on user devices before the end of 2011?

Reactions: Rich Edmonds

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... Isn't North Dakota just a conspiracy? Lol jk thats what one of my friends called it when he visited and saw how uh not dense it was lol. Oh and mgarcia has a point, phones are phones you can get em easily. What I would do, is get the HD7S, then save up little by little and check out the Nokia Windows Phone 7's and see if you really like em and buy it unsubsidized. That's what I'm gonna do... Well I have the T-Mobile HD7, but that's what I'll do with the Nokia deal.

Yeah, as easy as getting a Trophy would be for me...I'm interested in going GSM so I have more options down the line. As a phone nerd like you guys, being able to swap SIM cards would be beneficial.

I do worry that if Nokia starts sucking up to the carriers to sell more phones in the States that they don't have as many unlocked phones here as they do now.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, as easy as getting a Trophy would be for me...I'm interested in going GSM so I have more options down the line. As a phone nerd like you guys, being able to swap SIM cards would be beneficial.

I do worry that if Nokia starts sucking up to the carriers to sell more phones in the States that they don't have as many unlocked phones here as they do now.

True true. However, given the buddy buddy status that Microsoft and Nokia have, there's a big chance that, moving forward, only Nokia devices or maybe just one standalone device will be considered the "dev phone" much like the Android flagship Nexus line of devices. That one, I hope, will have the same direct communication as the Nexus does, in which updates don't have to be waited on lol.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I really hate to throw more fuel onto this roaring fire, but I just read the latest Windows Phone Blog post on the subject of ?Copy and paste? Update Status. There, Microsoft announces "new transparency" by putting up a website that indicates "Where's My Phone Update?". 52 responses have already been posted and most show upset users.

It was shocking to learn that phones such as the HTC Surround, the LG Quantum and the Samsung Focus are still in "testing" status. This is for an update that supposedly was "in the can" back in November or December last year. Is it just me or is anyone else disbelieving that it takes over three months for the carriers to "test" this NoDo update? I just can't believe that the carriers are interested in the success of WP7. If they were, they would have made testing a priority and completed it long ago. I think they are just dragging their feet for the hell of it and with whatever business agreements Microsoft established with the carriers, there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

My bottom line is that unless Microsoft changes those agreements and gets assertive, they might as well pack it in because this OS is doomed to failure. Okay, let's see a quick show of hands; how many people actually believe an update called "Mango" will see the light of day on user devices before the end of 2011?

*Raises hand*

Enemy Zero

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This may have been said before but wasn't Microsoft's push for "unified hardware" the driving force behind so called "Fast Updating"? I thought every device had the same internals, so why is the update being fragmented like this?

I am very frustrated by this whole thing and not because I was promised an update or I'm dying to have copy and paste. I'm just annoyed at the fact that I left android because of the fragmentation problem and went windows phone partly because of the universal hardware specs and the fact that all phones would be updated at the same time. The carrier block is total bull sh%t and the FCC needs to step in on this in some way. Once an update is ready it should be released without delay or question to ALL phones. Why is someone that bought an Arrive getting nodo and we are still in the dark? It's the same sh*t that's going on over at the Android camp. Phone "B" is coming out with android version 4.7 "Jelly Bean" while the phone you bought six months ago, "A" is still on 2.1.

This is honestly embarrassing and I'm having a harder time justifying my choice to give microsoft another shot after I told everyone a few years ago that I'd never buy another microsoft product for anything. WP7 won me over with its beauty and smoothness and a promise of the unified hardware setup being a ray of hope that no device would be left behind but this is just wrong on every level.

I'm sorry to rant but I'm just frustrated and was hoping there was one company out there left that did the right thing. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anymore nor will there ever be one ever again. For now I'm switching back and forth between my HD7 and my Nexus One dependent on what I need my phone to do for the moment but I keep coming back to my WP7 device due to its smoothness and overall enjoyable user experience. I do use copy and paste A LOT more than I thought I did but hopefully that will be remedied soon.

Sorry to rant, that whole thing about the unified hardware was really grating on me.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol that update page is a joke. It's ridiculously vague and gives no answers really, and instead highlights the fact that carriers want to delay the update as long as possible. MS really needs to kick them into gear.

Honestly, this might be a good reason working closely with Nokia might be a good thing, and if the situation doesn't improve it will be interesting to see if Nokia WP7 phones go through testing faster.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much the same here with me and my Focus, though the lack of copy and paste is not fun. My mom's up for an upgrade and sick of her iPhone 3G which is practically unusable with iOS 4 (not a fun upgrade either). A month ago I showed her my Focus and let her play with it. For the most part, I didn't tell her how to do anything, I just let her discover as she did with her iPhone. She picked everything up quickly and love the phone and OS, but I told her to hold off on buying one. Partially because of the upcoming iPhone 5, partially because I wanted to see at least one update smoothly install before she buys. I really can't recommend it to her at the moment. I was iffy on it to begin with given that it was so new and any new platform will have it growing pains, but this update situation has killed any chance of me recommending it at the moment. Fortunately, no critical security issued have been uncovered. I can't bear to think what would happen if MS had to push a fix out for it.

I'll still praise the platform because it's worthy of it. I'll simply grumble about the lack of update. And I'll have to keep my eye out for another device to use if MS doesn't get things in order soon, which is really a difficult task because I love the way WP7 works and don't want to use anything else.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

I know, for a fact, that when AT&T decides to pick up a phone from an OEM, that phone goes through about 4 months of carrier testing, this on top of OEM testing. So it would not surprise me if the carrier, in this case AT&T, applies the same amount of regression testing for an update.

Like I said previously, I'm in software development and I know what it's like to be on the other side (in fact, going through the deployment and post-deployment woes right now). In addition, I have friends that work in wireless telecom. You wouldn't believe the BS that goes on behind closed doors between the OEM and AT&T.

I will say that some OEMs are given more preference by the carrier. Since Samsung already has a solid relationship w/ AT&T, they may have more leeway than an OEM that has a younger relationship, such as Nokia.

For an interesting history lesson, read up on the history behind the iPhone between Apple, Motorola, and AT&T. Then perhaps you'd see the politics and BS behind it.

Michael.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty